What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I prime the Inside of Tubes Page 40-4

Timinfla2

Hi folks - on page 40-4 it mentions that I will need to disassemble, deburr and prime the inside of all of the tubes for the flap torque tubes.

How did you guys accomplish the priming of the interior of a tube? Just cap off one end and slosh primer around hoping it covers everything? Get an extra long straw for the end of the rattle can nozzle?

Any tips would be appreciated, thank you :)

Hi folks - on page 40-4 it mentions that I will need to disassemble, deburr and prime the inside of all of the tubes for the flap torque tubes.

How did you guys accomplish the priming of the interior of a tube? Just cap off one end and slosh primer around hoping it covers everything? Get an extra long straw for the end of the rattle can nozzle?

I had the tube slightly down and kept turning it like a rotisserie. I kept spraying till I had a steady stream at the other end.

I used a paint gun. It kind of “fogs” the inside and you can actually see paint spray coming out of an open end. Of course it will run and add way too much primer inside the tube, so, roll it around and distribute what liquid has formed and call it a day. Others have closed off one end and dumped primer in and spun it around. Whatever it takes…..

Glove

Nitrile glove. Cut off a finger that fits nice and tight. Swish some lacquer thinner in the tube. Let it dry.
Repeat with primer.

I cut a disc from a piece of foam that fits relatively tightly*in the tube.* attached a piece of string to it that came out of the other side.* Insert the foam about an inch or so and fill that part of the tube with primer.* Pull the string from the other side till the foam comes out of the other side.* This ensures a well and completely*coated tube.

gun barrel cleaning kit

I use my gun barrel cleaning rod (infinite length if you have a couple extensions), clean first with patch in MEK or other degreaser, then using a patch dipped in primer, swab a couple passes. No big mess, works well. Other methods posted are equally as good. Of course, the primer of choice is 2 part epoxy or urethane, but then, this isn't a primer thread!

Cut your primer with an appropriate thinner and slosh and roll. The minimum effective barrier is really-really thin for areas that will not see anything but air.

Thank you all very much for the tips.

Should I do anything about the surface rust on these controls? This is the flat torque tube.

Attachments

• 00E0B06E-E779-4C33-9BD7-8FF1C58F5FB9.jpg
    00E0B06E-E779-4C33-9BD7-8FF1C58F5FB9.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 216
I wouldn't call that surface rust, I would put that in the category of moderate pitting. That's one of those kinds of corrosion where you can't ever be sure you'll stop it short of machining back to an unpitted surface.

But that's no reason not to try to slow it down.

Just an opinion....

Bead/media blast and prime..do not ignore !

That rust is best removed by media blast and prime to get in any pits created by rusting. Best advise for kit owners following this thread it to protect any parts, particularly steel that is bare with something like WD-40 until it final finish is applied, and store in humidity controlled area if possible. If permanent installation allows, prime before final assembly, and if the fit is close tolerance and primer is too thick, I coat the surfaces with a grease or LPS 3.

While the primer inside my tubes was still wet, I used an air hose and nozzle to help spread it around and remove excess. Did this over my poor suffering back yard.

Dave

Thank you all very much for the tips.

Should I do anything about the surface rust on these controls? This is the flat torque tube.

Hard to say from the pic. 4130 is actually less prone to rust than mild steel.
Take some maroon scotchbrite and try polishing it by hand. If it polishes up easily it’s not a big deal unless the inside looks the same.

Scotchbrite to the rescue! Liz polished those surfaces to new and shiny. I put a quick coat of self-etching primer on them in the (perhaps futile) hope to arrest any future corrosion.

I use my gun barrel cleaning rod (infinite length if you have a couple extensions), clean first with patch in MEK or other degreaser, then using a patch dipped in primer, swab a couple passes. No big mess, works well. Other methods posted are equally as good. Of course, the primer of choice is 2 part epoxy or urethane, but then, this isn't a primer thread!

That’s a Hoot of a solution. Take the torque tube over by the Weatherby bench and clean the tube with Hoppes for that new gun smell….

I used the Gun Barrel Bore Punch method today and it was great. Sure it was a bit messy when it squeezed the excess paint as I pushed the roller in but still, it looked like we got great coverage.

Back