What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Gear Legs

Waco01

Looking for information on RV-4 gear legs. I had to reform one of my gear legs and a trying to find out the heat treat specs. The manufacturer of the gear legs probably has this information and I would like to contact them for a chat. Does anyone have their contact information?
Val K.
RV-8
N81VK

Bending Gear

Did you use heat to bend the gear?? If it was done cold and the bend was slight there is no need to reheat treat. The specs from Wittman, who designed the gear, are 42-44 Rockwell C Scale. There is a protocol for hanging the gears in a mirror image for heat treating.

Send them to Harmon Lange

Recently helped with an RV-4 that made an off-field excursion. I built my -4, so I am very familiar with the design..the left leg was bent well AFT and the owner/repair shop assumed it was scrap. I told them contact Langair and send it, so both legs were sent and returned in very short time, perfectly straight at a very small cost. I'm not sure he even anneals them at all if the bends are smooth, and I have straightened some tail stingers with a simple arbor press back to near perfect.The sharp bend at the axle turn is the one that would require annealing most, and if it was beyond yield, I'm not sure id want to reuse it anyway. Harmon is a stand up guy and will have the best advise.

Back