What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop-Guard on BA prop

vluvelin

Well Known Member
Could you guys share opinion on Prop Guard tape installation on aluminium prop?

I removed tape from my prop. Purchased a kit to install but instructions say it should not cover last 3 inches of the blade and that is exactly the part of prop that is getting more erosion and damage
Is it really worth it???

Thank you

I’ve used it and put a 5” piece on the tips so I could replace as they wore. Generally in favor but was not expecting the amount of rain erosion in IFR. It’s a real bear to remove to replace it.

It protects the blades from rain erosion very well IF you can keep it adhered to the blade. The tape is easy to install on straighter blades; it is more challenging with curved blade sections as the tape tends to pucker.

As noted above, one good flight in rain or even mist for an hour or more and the tape will suffer erosion requiring replacement.

The protection offered by the tape shows greater benefit with wood or composite props. With aluminum I would likely forgo the tape unless I was operating out of areas with concern for rock chips.

I use it on my catto and it works, but requires replacement every 2 to 3 years. I do not use it on my hartzel AL prop. The tape will cost 2-3 knots, so be sure that it is necessary for you.

I use prop erosion tape on my Hartzell BA prop all the time. It gets changed out at every year's condition inspection not so much from wear but after a year it starts turning yellow and with the curved blade you start seeing some separation from the blade at the tip section. The tape removes easily using some light heat from a heat gun; a hair dryer would probably do the trick. Clean the blade with rubbing alcohol, let it dry thoroughly, then apply the new tape. The tape comes in two thicknesses, .008" and .014". I find the thicker tape easier to work with. There's an excellent EAA Hints for Homebuilders video for installing the tape. 7+ years with tape on the prop blades it has saved them from some nicks a few times. I do mine in two sections just like Dick Koehler describes in the video. One longer section covering the blade as far as the yellow tip paint, then a shorter section for the tip. You are right that the last 2 1/2" would be a challenge to cover with the heavy curvature at the tip. The picture shows the thin tape with about 35 hours and 6 months on it. I've had good luck rounding the corners of each tape section. Do not touch the adhesive side, otherwise it will separate prematurely. I also let the tape sit for at least 24 hours before operating. Have not noticed any speed loss since I started using it.

Attachments

• 8E6B5116-E5BB-4EFF-BB42-F48C7A828099.jpg
    8E6B5116-E5BB-4EFF-BB42-F48C7A828099.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 86
I use prop erosion tape on my Hartzell BA prop all the time. It gets changed out at every year's condition inspection not so much from wear but after a year it starts turning yellow and with the curved blade you start seeing some separation from the blade at the tip section. The tape removes easily using some light heat from a heat gun; a hair dryer would probably do the trick. Clean the blade with rubbing alcohol, let it dry thoroughly, then apply the new tape. The tape comes in two thicknesses, .008" and .014". I find the thicker tape easier to work with. There's an excellent EAA Hints for Homebuilders video for installing the tape. 7+ years with tape on the prop blades it has saved them from some nicks a few times. I do mine in two sections just like Dick Koehler describes in the video. One longer section covering the blade as far as the yellow tip paint, then a shorter section for the tip. You are right that the last 2 1/2" would be a challenge to cover with the heavy curvature at the tip. The picture shows the thin tape with about 35 hours and 6 months on it. I've had good luck rounding the corners of each tape section. Do not touch the adhesive side, otherwise it will separate prematurely. I also let the tape sit for at least 24 hours before operating. Have not noticed any speed loss since I started using it.

Carlos That is very nicely done!!!
instruction say 4inch length minimum you have about 1.5 on the yellow tip
"seeing some separation from the blade at the tip section."
is that at the rounded corners??
Did you repaint the prop or it was ordered with this colors?

Carlos That is very nicely done!!!
instruction say 4inch length minimum you have about 1.5 on the yellow tip
"seeing some separation from the blade at the tip section."
is that at the rounded corners??
Did you repaint the prop or it was ordered with this colors?

That tip section is about 2". You're seeing some bug splatter on the outboard tip after getting back from playing. Guess I should have cleaned it off before taking the picture :D
There is some separation starting right on the outboard leading edge. It'll start to move out, I'm guessing from centrifugal force on such a small piece and it appears to be the tape stretching as there's not a lot of thickness on the leading edge to adhere to. It usually doesn't migrate out more than what you see in the picture. No separation at the rounded corners and the tape does not appear to slide. Butt joint between the two pieces lines up with the paint.
Prop was ordered in those colors when I bought it. Goes with the whole Corsair theme ;)

Back