What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable flush instrument sub-panel

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone else made a removable flush instrument sub-panel?

I've got a mess of stuff under the radio stack (from L-R: backup fuel pump, flap selector, gear selector and indicator lights, and gear CB), in the MK I & II version of the panel I just mounted them in place. I had to redo the MK I panel after a design flew (can anyone spot it?) and being older and wiser I realize it will be a real pain to have to remove and replace anything in that rat's nest of wires so I'm working on making a removable sub-panel.

The easy way would be to just make the sub-panel lay on top of the main panel, but I'm taking a crack at making it lay flush by planning to attach it to a "shelf", or sub-plate, with nutplates and #6 screws.

Question: how wide should the sub-plate be for the sub-panel to be securely mounted? I've been kicking i=with ~.5-.675" under the main panel, with ~.25-.5" under the sub-panel. The main panel will be solid across the bottom, there will not be a gap.

TIA. See you at Sun 'n Fun!

Attachments

• Mark I.JPG
    Mark I.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Mark II (1).jpg
    Mark II (1).jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Mark II (4).jpg
    Mark II (4).jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Mk III side view.jpg
    Mk III side view.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Mark III removeable (5).jpg
    Mark III removeable (5).jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Mark III removeable (1).jpg
    Mark III removeable (1).jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Mark III removeable (7).jpg
    Mark III removeable (7).jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I did this panel in 3 removable panels. Left triangle shaped panel with switches, center one with flight instrumentation, the right side with not much on it. The bottom horizontal line of switches and breakers are part of the original one piece instrument panel, above that was extensively cut out & serve as the base for the removable panel sections.

Attachments

• 6 panel.jpg
    6 panel.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 157
5/8

I would make the sub-plate overlap 5/8" so that there is adequate edge distance i.e. 5/16" for both the screw holes through the overlay and the plate nuts in the underlay, assuming the plate nuts are going to be centred in the overlap area.

Well, I got it done in under a year. Yes, I could have made it better, lot of lessons learned, so on the next panel....

And, it was fun. Thanks, everyone.

Attachments

• Subpanel (1).jpg
    Subpanel (1).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Subpanel (2).jpg
    Subpanel (2).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Back