What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Calling All "Brainiacs" - Wire Marking

HFS

Well Known Member
Any (affordable) ideas on how to mark electrical wires on an interval basis, like the "Big Boys" do?

Old style thermal markers are too cumbersome & newer lasar types are too costly.

Any ideas? I'd really like to be able to i.d. my wires intermediate to the ends if needed.

Thx - as always, now in the hands of the "braintrust".

HFS

In the certified world they want markings about every 15". That is definitely overkill in an RV. I bought a Dymo Rhino Label Maker that prints on heat shrink for less than $100 (with extra packs) on Amazon.

Shrink wrap, a sharpie, and decent handwriting……well how about legible handwriting.

A couple of bucks does the entire plane.

Attachments

• 8B26C1AC-4688-454A-B4BE-9A859B03860C.jpg
    8B26C1AC-4688-454A-B4BE-9A859B03860C.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 124
Any (affordable) ideas on how to mark electrical wires on an interval basis, like the "Big Boys" do?

Old style thermal markers are too cumbersome & newer lasar types are too costly.

Any ideas? I'd really like to be able to i.d. my wires intermediate to the ends if needed.

Thx - as always, now in the hands of the "braintrust".

HFS

I have a Brady Label maker.. They have heat shrink in various sizes. The Perma-Sleave can be expensive, and you can waste a lot if you make them one at a time. I just remade some engine wiring (CHT1, CHT2, ...), labels at both ends and at any pass-through. Type them all in with a few spaces between each and then cut with scissors saves a lot of material (due to the materiel needed for the cutter... half an inch gets wasted on each end).

I use this all the time for all kinds of things. I don't mind investing in a great tool.

https://www.bradyid.com/label-printers/portable/m210-handheld-label-maker-pid-152260

https://www.bradyid.com/labels/bmp2...t=heat shrink&el=products&el_text=heat shrink

I printed labels out using 8 font in Word. Then slipped them into clear heatshrink. Easy peasy. The only gotcha using this method is remembering to put the heatshrink on before terminating the wire.

Last edited:
In addition to heat shrink labels, I used different color sharpies to add a colored line on the white wire. Just hold the wire against the marker tip and pull through. It does seem to fade after time but a real help when wiring and before the heat shrink labels are installed.

What Todd said

FP21122013A0000D.jpg

This is how I did mine as well. Marked at both ends of the wire. I can tell you for certain, if you do the electrical maintenance on your plane, you will appreciate having those wires marked at least at both ends.

Shrink wrap, a sharpie, and decent handwriting……well how about legible handwriting.

A couple of bucks does the entire plane.

Sharpies dont last

I found sharpies dont last unless they are covered with clear shrink or something. It as if the ink keeps on evaporating forever and final goes away.

I used a dynon label maker with shrink wrap cartridges. Worked well.

I did the clear shrink tube with printed labels underneath on my RV-10. I splurged and bought a nice label maker and printable shrink tubing for the -9A and am so glad I did! Not to overly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Attachments

• 23A71FB7-A9E4-489E-8508-5DDC0E2A2143.png
    23A71FB7-A9E4-489E-8508-5DDC0E2A2143.png
    926 KB · Views: 118
  • F5C32FEB-CD2D-448B-B9D4-CF485664886F.png
    F5C32FEB-CD2D-448B-B9D4-CF485664886F.png
    770.2 KB · Views: 97
Hey Dave,
I have a printer that prints on heat shrink I can send you if you want. I will get the model number when I go to the airport this afternoon. I think it is a Brother and it worked great for me! I will email you the info later today.

Edit. It is a Rbino 5300 and I have a few different tapes I can send. I will email you later today.

Last edited:
Epson

I used an Epson LABELWORKS LW-PX300ADPT, which accepts shrink-tube cartridges. I thought it did a nice job.

Attachments

• Cable Labels.jpg
    Cable Labels.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 100
I just type out a bunch of the locations on a word processing app then print out the page. I cut the labels out with scissors then slip the label in the clear heat shrink tubing, hit it with the heat gun and you are done. I have it on my wiring that has been there twelve years and it's still like new. It's a little more trouble but cheap!

Lots of answers that I don't think address Dave's question. Sounds like he wants to label the wires at regular intervals for the whole length of the wire. I'm guessing 12" to 24" intervals. Looking for a cost effective way to do this. Maybe https://cla.aero/uv-laser-marking-for-aircraft-wiring/ or https://www.wiremasters.com/newshub/news/laser-mark-your-wire-with-wiremasters can help? Guessing neither of these may meet the "cost effective" goal.

Maybe find a large avionics installer that has the appropriate wire labeling equipment?

Regards,

I believe Aircraft Spruce offers this service.

Just search Laser Marked Wire on their website

Last edited:
I believe Aircraft Spruce offers this service.

Just search Laser Marked Wire on their website

At a starting price of about a buck a foot, that is one pricey option. Nice, but expensive.

Just curious...why the need to mark a wire every X inches on an RV? Why is simplyl putting a heatshrink label at each end not good enough?

In the certified world they want markings about every 15". That is definitely overkill in an RV. I bought a Dymo Rhino Label Maker that prints on heat shrink for less than $100 (with extra packs) on Amazon.

This is the route I took.

I bought the:
DYMO Label Maker LabelManager 160 Portable Label Maker. It says not for heat shrink, works GREAT. It is currently $36
My $2

I am not a Brainiac but happy to share my ignorance. :D

My GRT came with color coded wires for EFIS, EIS (engine indicating system) and some items that interconnect, Autopilot, GPS, Transponder, magnetometer. Cars, motorcycles often have color codes wires, base insulation color, and colored stripe or stripes, etc. Aircraft wires come in any color if that color is WHITE. ha ha. I think you can get TEF Teflon wire in colors other than white but could be expensive way to go. It is not recommend to use car wires for planes, especially in the cockpit due to toxic vapors if the wire torches. You can get away with non TEF aircraft wire under the cowl, like large gage starter or battery cables. Welding wire is often much cheaper.

My intercom came with prewired with harnesses marked. yeah for me.

Large gauge power wires, are fairly easy to mark them. However they are so large and the runs isolated from other wires for the most part, tracing them is easy. Mark away however.

Marking generic white 20/22awg FEP Teflon wire, a little difficult. If you want or really need to mark them, you can....
  • Clear heat shrink is your friend. A printer or label maker that can make clear super small font is good.
  • Routing in bundles of like function, with good old fashion tracing by your eyeballs and good wire diagram, is easier than one big bundle with many inputs/outputs and functions. Avoid High amp carrying wires bundled with other wires, s/b limited for heat reasons.
  • There are snap-on wire markers , plastic rings that have numbers. You can combine them to make some code or unique identifying number. Annotate wire diagram with number code. They come in all sizes even down to 22/20 awg. Not cheap, 300 markers cost $60, 30 of each of the numbers 0 thru 9. You want different sizes. So 3 sets $180? If you mark both ends of wires you may more sets. Do they move around? Can they fall off? Probably not great near heat.
  • Color heat shrink tubes, red, blue, green, black. Combos of colors can be coded to mean something. Signal, ground, power.... use your imagination. They will fit on tight but must be slid on before making final connection on wire. Mark your wire diagram accordingly.

Good diagram, grouping or bundling by category of function, no or few labels and tracing wires from/to output/input is time honored, a pain but time honored. Another good thing is access to the wires to start with

Last edited:
Thanks Phil & Steve

If I can think that far in advance & is not so expensive as to be prohibitive, I might try that service.

I'll probably have a trial run, just as an experiment.

HFS

Wire labels

I just hand printed on white heat shrink with a fine point sharpie then put clear heat shrink over that.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• 5696C4A3-D289-4821-A434-420B6929CAE4.jpg
    5696C4A3-D289-4821-A434-420B6929CAE4.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 27
Back