What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pic of interior of Superior Cold Air Sump? (Inverted oil confusion)

agent4573

Well Known Member
Anyone have one? I'm installing inverted oil, and in my head the oil routing just doesn't make sense. I've got the basic idea down, but during install you have to shorten the lycoming oil screen and install a plug into the sump that's held in place by the shortened screen. What exactly does this plug do/block? I haven't seen the inside of a sump in person and I can't find a good picture online. My assumption was that the pump drew oil through the lycoming screen and out the end of it. By installing this plug you're basically blocking the outlet of the screen/oil pump inlet? But that can't be right because the oil pump still gets oil from somewhere. So if anyone can enlighten me on what the plug does and where the oil pump gets its oil from, I would be grateful. Thanks.

My question is about figure 7 in that setup. I thought the right side of that plug went to the oil pump. So if you block that, where does the suck come from? You end up with a loop that goes out the other end of the tube, through the firewall valve, and back to another pickup screen in the sump. There's no flow....

Okay, disclaimer, I'm just a rando on the internet. Not an expert.

However, based on what I saw in my sump, there is an internal oil passage that goes from that screen up to the accessory case / oil pump. Normally, the flow is from the bottom of the sump, through the screen, then up the passage to the oil pump. The screen is kept in place by a plug.

In figure 7, the internal supply from the sump is plugged. Instead, you supply the oil through the sump fitting depicted (which replaces that plug that keeps the oil screen in place), then through the oil screen, then through the oil passage to the pump.

The fitting should connect to the oil valve which determines where the oil will be picked from.

Pictures

Don't know if these will help, but you asked for pictures.

EDIT: Sorry, I see you asked for interior photos.

Last edited:
Anyone have one? I'm installing inverted oil, and in my head the oil routing just doesn't make sense. I've got the basic idea down, but during install you have to shorten the lycoming oil screen and install a plug into the sump that's held in place by the shortened screen. What exactly does this plug do/block? I haven't seen the inside of a sump in person and I can't find a good picture online. My assumption was that the pump drew oil through the lycoming screen and out the end of it. By installing this plug you're basically blocking the outlet of the screen/oil pump inlet? But that can't be right because the oil pump still gets oil from somewhere. So if anyone can enlighten me on what the plug does and where the oil pump gets its oil from, I would be grateful. Thanks.

I believe the oil flows from the “middle” fitting, though the external lines, though the ball valve and into the center of the screen, (not though the sides like you were thinking) then passes though the screen and into the internal passage up into the pump. The Christian diagram shows it better than the Raven one. Plugging the hole assures the oil only has one path.

Thanks everyone. Figures 1-3 and 1-4 in the christian link did help. It wouldn't open on my phone yesterday so I had to break out the actual computer today to take a look. Appreciate it.

Back