What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Calling out to Aluminum buffs

daddyman

Well Known Member
Silly question,
I've been following a prior thread about polishing using a random orbital buffer and Nuvite polish.
Once nice and shiny, can I apply wax (or ceramic polish) on top?

Daddyman

Silly question,
I've been following a prior thread about polishing using a random orbital buffer and Nuvite polish.
Once nice and shiny, can I apply wax (or ceramic polish) on top?

Daddyman

Apparently there is a wipe-on Ceracoat-type product that provides some protection and barrier to oxidation. I have a friend that did that to a Airstream trailer that he polished.

Not that I have found

I have tried a few but have given up on waxing the polished aluminum. I just work at it the old fashion way with an orbital then the cyclo polisher.

Keep in mind that all of the "protective" coatings will need to be removed the next time you polish (and there *will* be a next time...).

Negative Ghost Rider.
The aluminum polish purists do NOT use any coatings after polishing.
Coatings may delay corrosion and need to polish, but Snowflake says, the coatings will need to be removed eventually to re-polish.

Keep it bare, keep it clean, polish once a year (Nuvite C finish is all that's needed) and it will be a shining beauty.

Polishing

I use mineral spirits to clean the surface of the aluminum and then Nuvite polish with an orbital polisher and a cyclo polisher. I have never used wax or a sealer. Once clean and shiny I just leave it that way.

It takes about two days once a year.

confirmed

Asked my local Guru- (Lee Ragsdale) the same question. He has 8? RV's notched on his tool belt.
He said the same.
Leave it alone.

Thanks to all,
Daddyman- out until the next stupid question

Back