What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOG (almost) in Waco, TX

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
On this last leg, the bus voltage was 13.8 vs its normal 14.2. Three times when I transmitted, I got a momentary low voltage indication.

Alternator is a Suzuki Samurai, according to my records, but I'm not totally sure.

Plan is/was to fly to Savannah, GA, tomorrow, but the weather between here and there doesn't look like something you'd want to mess with if your alternator or whatever is unhappy with the world.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks much!

Ed

I'd check connections at the instrument, battery, alternator, voltage regulator, and anywhere else that made sense.

If you still have problems, you have a decision to make. Personally, if I felt I could remain VFR, and if I had a handheld navigator (say an iPhone) I'd head home tomorrow, and try to fix the problem at home. If you load shed, you should be able to make it home with 2 engine starts, limited running of the fuel pump, and a few radio transmissions.

On the other hand, you're near Dallas, so there is a lot more support where you are than if you end up AOG in Laurel Mississippi, for instance.

Alternator

NAPA- 1987 Suzuki Samari alternator maybe $125-I prefer the Bosch rebuilds-look it over prior to departing-make sure the pulley tracks straight. Usually a lifetime warranty! If asked, it is going on an “off road” vehicle.
Cheers
db

Alternator

Get the Samurai, I had the same problem. Get a metal file, the “ears” on the alternator won’t fit or go on until you open up a little bit with the file. I’m in Fredericksburg, you can call me for more information if you need it, 214-914-4535. Be sure and leave a message, my phone rejects unknown callers.

NAPA- 1987 Suzuki Samari alternator maybe $125-I prefer the Bosch rebuilds-look it over prior to departing-make sure the pulley tracks straight. Usually a lifetime warranty! If asked, it is going on an “off road” vehicle.
Cheers
db

Hmm, just tell them it's going in an RV. :D

Unless there something obviously wrong like bad bearings or a fried rectifier bridge, Try replacing the regulator only...quicker fix and probably more readily available.

EDIT...Larry's idea below sounds more logical.

Last edited:
You may have something else going on. 13.8 volts should be plenty to keep a battery at 90% charge. Clearly something has changed, but is it quite atypical for an alternator to just drop a few volts due to an internal failure. If the voltage is dropping substantially when you key the mic, I would be looking for a bad connection somewhere (battery or alternator) or a loose alt belt. Keying the mic and drawing 5-8 amps will increase the load on the alternator and that could cause the pulley to slip if the belt is loose and this shows up as reducing voltage. Eventhough ti can hold 13.8 with a lighter load. Reducing voltage as amp load increases points to a loose belt, though there are failure modes that could replicate it. A loose connection on the B lead will show similar behavior.

I am flying to Dallas on Sat. and would by happy to bring you a spare alternator that I have. However, it is an externally regulated alternator.

Larry

Last edited:
spit ball

Just spit balling here, but I agree with Larry on the 13.8 V drop is odd. I would also check for a loose or corroded ground.

Tested it this morning and it was 14.1 V, so I launched for Savannah. No heavy IFR, but I was in clouds some -- and I checked the voltage often.

Once I unwind from the 30 hour trip, we'll pull the cowl and check out the alternator. Besides, an oil change sounds like a good idea.

Thanks to all!

Ed

Tested it this morning and it was 14.1 V, so I launched for Savannah. No heavy IFR, but I was in clouds some -- and I checked the voltage often.

Once I unwind from the 30 hour trip, we'll pull the cowl and check out the alternator. Besides, an oil change sounds like a good idea.

Thanks to all!

Ed
I too use the Bosch remanufactured "Samurai" alternators. I proactively replace them every 3-400 hours or so. Never been stranded in 21 years/2400 hrs due to a failed alternator. No mods to mine. Just bolt it on and go. And if it did quit on the road, they're pretty readily available at the larger auto supply stores. Looks like Amazon even carries a few

Last edited:
Back