What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wet Wing / RV7 Engineering Plans/ advice

Staunch

I'm New Here
G'day Brains Trust,

After a lengthy hiatus from VAF (life got in the way), I am finally ready to commence my SB RV7.

The aircraft is being built with the specific intention of flying it RTW.

Obviously, I will need to build multiple wing tanks and for that reason, I am looking for advice on engineering.

Is anyone able to share their engineering / tips or refer me to someone who could?

Thank you in advance

Simon
[email protected]

Some builders have bought additional standard (wing leading edge) tanks and installed them outboard of the standard tanks. Do a search here and I think you'll track them down.

Also see if you can get in touch with Jon Johansson, he built fiberglass tip tanks inside the standard fiberglass tips for his RTW RV-4.

In addition, a co-pilot seat mounted aux tank seems a popular addition.

best wing for range????

I'm wondering, if you are re-engineering for about double the gross weight, like most RTW folks, would you be better off starting with the greater span and airfoil of the -9 wing?
....apparently more efficient at altitude....but I'm sure you've already gone thru this exercise on paper.
There's a -9a builder that did some serious tankage I think, not sure how current info is

http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

good luck!

Simon, first step use the search engine, as the subject of additional fuel capacity has been discussed many times here on VAF.
Second, as you probably are aware, the RTWs have a web page:http://www.earthrounders.com/singles.php

Our doomed Planet has been circumnavigated by almost all kind of RVs a few times. Contacting the achievers, or reading their accounts, blog or book, teaches one a lot.

Adapting your build for your intent is certainly a better idea than modifying a flying ship afterwards.

Having read most reports on the subject, the longest overwater leg still being from mainland US to Hawai (Westwards), you will probably be aiming for an endurance of 14-20 hours, depending as to how fast you are planning to fly. Having the S Pole on your sights might require even more...

In any case, good luck in your endeavor and keep us posted :)

I'm wondering, if you are re-engineering for about double the gross weight, like most RTW folks, would you be better off starting with the greater span and airfoil of the -9 wing?
....apparently more efficient at altitude....but I'm sure you've already gone thru this exercise on paper.
There's a -9a builder that did some serious tankage I think, not sure how current info is

http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

good luck!

No need for double the gross, my numbers for my 9A come to just under 2200 pounds with 133 gallons on board. That's double the EMPTY, but not the gross. That's enough fuel for California to Hawaii westbound with a constant 20-knot headwind and 4 hours reserve.

Back