What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS sentence format for transferring freq data?

CharlieEcho

I'm New Here
Does anyone know what the GPS sentence format is that would program the GPS memory of an Icom A210? At what baud rate does the A210 communicate? Trying to do a 'roll my own' frequency transfer function. TIA

Carlos

And myself some for another day. I hadn't found a link to the complete NMEA 0183 protocol paper before. Gotta love those Russkies. :)

Isn't the A210 meant to be SL-40 compatible? If so, I'd assume it uses the SL-40 format which is not CTFSI.

Garmin conveniently actually fully documents their protocol for the SL-40 or SL-30 install manual, including the baud rate.

Thanks everyone! Sure hope the A210 is indeed SL-40 compatible as mentioned. Appendix E of The Manual has all the information that I'm hoping will work. :)

Cheers,

Carlos

from the YMMV chronicles, sometimes "SL-40 compatible" doesn't mean it is in all situations.

I had a "SL-40 compatible" radio (not an Icom 210) from one vender and it worked fine with my 795 (after a firmware update to the radio). The same radio never been able to receive commands from G3X.

Last edited:
The A210 (at least mine) works fine with the Garmin VHF protocol. It has worked for me with the 296, Aera 510, 796, G3X non touch and G3X touch.

Quick update to share what I have learned so far. ICOM support not very helpful, they say the A210 works with the FSI sentence (it doesn't). I was able to program the standby frequency on my A210 using the $PMRRC01 sentence structure. However, it will not set the active freq ($PMRRC00 sentence).

Does anyone know if you are supposed to be able to set the active freq on a A210?

Cheers,

Carlos

Back