What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3-5 bullet points for a 30 min. familiarization flight

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Here's a hypothetical…

Let's say you are going to give an 18-year-old kid a familiarization flight in your RV in a few days. He is interested in possibly pursuing his pilot license. I plan on making the flight 30 min.

I am not a CFI, so have never really given this any thought. If you had to pick between three and five things to show this young man during your 30 min. flight, what would it be?

-Holding straight and level flight?
-Turns around a point?
-Entering an airport in the GPS and flying towards it - following the magenta line?
-Turning on the autopilot and letting him steer the airplane around with the heading bug?
-Having him climb to an altitude and level off?
-Lightly follow along on the controls during a TnG at a neighboring airport?
-Talk on the radio?
-Shoot the practice ILS to DH at nearby KAFW?
I have a few days to plan this, and since he is actually quite interested in getting his pilots license I would like to make it as good a first impression as I can possibly make it. I absolutely do not want to yank 'n bank until he turns green in the gills, or have him fiddle with so many buttons that he becomes task saturated and only remembers the frustration.

I welcome any and all input on helping me create a small 3 to 5 bullet point list. I plan on briefing him with this list before take off.

Yours in motivating the next generation,
dr

Last edited:
Hey Doug,

Effects of controls is always a good one along with effects of adding and removing power.

Allowing him to take the controls and climb and level off is a good one, make sure you point out how to determine when he is approximately strait and level with eyes outside the cockpit.

He will be hooked immediately :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Forget turns about a point and the autopilot. Radio work is probably not important at this time. Let him fly over his house or other landmark he might be interested in seeing.

My daughter is taking flight training currently so I've been flying with her even more than over the last 18 years! Couple of things I've noticed. The hardest thing possible is talking on the radio (for her at least) so I'd pass on that. I also noticed that when you have them focus on the instruments to hold altitudes and headings etc, they can do it, but it's just like a video game at that point.

I'd rather get their heads outside the cockpit, get a feel for the controls and fly by visual reference and feel. Who cares what your altitude is, just getting the feeling of zooming around in an RV is going to have him hooked!

When I had my daughter do turns around a point, she was like, what's with all yo pilots and turns around a point? :) apparently her instructor gave her that assignment too...

I'd vote for

-Entering an airport in the GPS and flying towards it - following the magenta line?
-Let him do some just flying around looking at stuff. Get him to roll into a turn to the left and right without worrying too much about precision, just getting a feel of it.

Why not show him the list, and ask him?
Most new guys are shy on the radio, the "lingo" is all new.
He may be interested in the gps/autopilot if he's technologically inclined; or maybe not at all.
1. Let him take off (you follow along on the controls, help as needed). That will be a big thrill for him. You man the throttle, and, if a TW plane, the rudders (ask him to keep his feet off of them during takeoff and landing, but you could let him taxi. Be ready for some adventure, especially in a tail wheel.)
2. I wouldn't do turns around a point, his altitude control won't be good enough yet. Just let him fly around, at altitude. If there's a spot he knows well, show it to him from the air. Show him how the gps ground speed changes as he turns into or with the wind. (Give him a brief talk, on the ground, of the differences between the airspeed indicator, "real" speed, and gps ground speed (add in the wind).
3. In level flight, have him adjust the throttle and note the effects on the controls, to maintain straight and level. Make sure you show him how to trim. Show him how a power reduction with no change in trim will result in a constant speed descent, vice versa for a climb.
4. If he's nervous about the engine quitting, have him put the power to idle, and show him how well it glides.
5. You land, but let him taxi. Don't be surprised if you do a lot of fishtailing!

I'm with Jim. Let him fly straight and level, make some gentle turns, wag the tail with the rudder pedals, maybe a steeper banked turn or two. Show him the heading indicator and steer him to where you can tell him to look down and see his neighborhood, do a 360 or two around his house while he gets a good picture. You have to give him something to show off to his friends and parents, right?

And while I agree that you don't want to try to make him puke all over your nice interior, he's an 18 year old kid and would probably last longer than you. Nothing wrong with a low (like 500' or so) and fast run along a river, or a steep spiral to get back down to pattern altitude.

From back in my Young Eagles day-----------------

First off a good walk around to show the kid the various parts of the plane-----and explain what the various parts do----and having a parent see the walk around/inspection will relieve their fears somewhat.

Second, a good safety briefing-------hit the high points, but dont scare them.

Explain what the various items in the cabin do--------stick, rudder pedals, safety belts etc. Demonstrate as needed.

Now, on to flying..........dont show off, dont scare the kid, or his parents.

The tip about showing them their house from the air is good, also their school favorite swimming hole etc. Travel to a nearby town and back-------time it and ask how long it would take in a car.

Let them taxi and fly as much as they are comfortable with------

Afterward, do a debrief and include the parents if you can.

Good luck, good thing you are doing there.

Some of these things I cover on Young Eagles flights, depending on the age/capability/interest of the Young Eagle.

1) slow taxi - use of brakes and rudder
2) lookout - where are the most likely places to look for other traffic in any phase of the flight
3) while I fly straight and level, define the relationship between engine cowl and the horizon, then hand over control and let them maintain straight and level
4) effects of controls, particularly rudder, the one that most kids who have flown a flight simulator game have never really experienced
5) turns, and if there's time, rolling out on a heading
6) climb and descent to an altitude
7) looking down at the world and marveling at how different and wonderful it looks from this very special lofty perch

Ask him?

Ask him what appeals to him about flying and then show him how easy it is to do.

I always encourage a new pilot to just steer. grab the wheel and just steer, after a few minutes of that a few gentle turns and maybe help in achieving a compass direction. This gives them the feeling the need that they CAN control and learn to control the thing.

Most kids today with video and texting and that know how to communicate.

Just get em in there and Steer!

Good luck!

When I take first timers up I generally:

1) Gently show them what each control does (stick and rudder/ailerons, elevator, rudder).

2) Let them try each control individually. Very small inputs just to get a feel for what it takes to get a reaction from the airplane.

3) I set up straight and level and let them fly straight and level and ask them to note the horizon position when we are level. I ask them to keep the horizon at that point. Might as well start out with good habits.

3) Then I ask them to try a gentle turn. I work the rudder - they handle the stick or yoke.

When they turn the nose drops.

I ask them what they saw. They will say that the nose dropped and so I'll ask them what they ought to do about that. They usually know so they try a turn again - which they do quite well.

If I think they can handle the complication I will show them adverse yaw by turning without using the rudder. Again they are watching the nose and the horizon. And they get to try a turn with all three controls.

That's the basics. Other things I will show them depending upon their personality:

1) Show them that (in a training plane at least) the airplane is not balanced on a pinpoint which we, the pilots are valiantly maintaining. Believe it or not a lot of people think that's what we do. Instead I'll trim the plane out for level flight, and perturb the plane in pitch and keep the wings level with the rudder and perhaps a touch of aileron, but not elevator. I'll show them that the airplane is designed to be stable and will fly the damped oscillation until we are level again.

2) 45 degree level turn

3) 60 degree bank level turn (for that 2G experience).

4) Have them close their eyes while I gently maneuver enough so that their sense of balance is affected and they think we are straight and level while we are actually in a descending or ascending turn. I have them open their eyes and be surprised that we are not straight and level.

That's usually quite enough for a first timer who doesn't want to experience acro.

My first flight rules, in order of importance

1. Best possible weather, morning or evening, low wind, good vis (horizon)

2. Brief discussion, before getting in the plane, about what the stick does, how the controls move

3. Normal passenger briefing

4. Gentle slow application of power on take off

5. Ask them where they want to go, see their house etc.

6. Let them take the control (never take your hands completely off the stick) and ask them to keep the plane level. Show them the horizon and ask them if the wings are level, if not how to correct.

7. At the end of the flight if the passenger has good colour and is still having fun you might show them a roll or a steep turn. If they show any hestiation then skip it for another day. ONE roll only and then land.

8. a video camera, aimed at the passenger, is a great thing to show them after the flight.

Remember, they are only going to come back if they feel safe, have fun and can get a glimpse of the challenge.

What did you do on your first flight lesson? Hold the stick(yoke). See how to hold speed, turn left, with some rudder. Watch the ball. Turn right, watch the ball. Instructor does a skid, not a good feeling. Let the kid Take some time to quitly drive around. Enjoy! It's your plane. Make your best landing

For an orientation flight I would start with basic flight controls, ie, pull back the plane goes up, push forward it goes down.

Some gentle banks to explain turns and lift vectors. Not much about the rudder except how to keep the ball centered.

After that, I would let him fly the rest of the time. No instruments, just looking outside and enjoying the view.

Point somewhere and say "fly me to that field over there". Help him maintain altitude by nudging the stick once in a while. Not too strict for a first timer.

Guide him to his house if you want, but from the air, he will likely not know where it is.

If he does good, let him fly all the way into the pattern and then take over to land.

30 minutes will be gone before you know it.

1. Preflight brief
2. Instruments, controls and devices
3. Four Fundamentals of flight

That's it.

As others have already said:

- usually morning or evening for cooler temps and smoother rides

- an interactive pre-flight, follow your normal checklist and talk about what you are doing. You can get to know each other's personalities during this time and build a game plan for the flight such as flying over his house or looking for deer or other "missions."

- passenger briefing with emphasis on checklist, safety and what all the do-Dads do in the cockpit. Also pack a sick-sack and how to use it and to speak up at the first sign of discomfort, a little humor helps.

- let them taxi as much as they want or can

- I stay away from giving them the controls on takeoff or landing, I want them to feel the control pressures while flying first. While doing a first flight and takeoff in a C150 my female "student" went full right with the ailerons, her adrenaline must have been pumping because I couldn't overpower her through the yoke and had to pull her hands off of the yoke. Once flying she realized it only took light pressure.....

- hand over the controls while on "the mission" and help him as needed. Some like to fly a lot and some just a little.

- a quick debrief to answer questions or find out his favorite part of the flight

- Enjoy!

Agree with post #13 by Taildrgr, except that odds are that you'll have to take the plane back not far into the pattern or approach. I've taken lots of people up for a first ride in a small plane and only one managed to take it as far as flying all the downwind leg.

If they have trouble holding altitude (I give them the controls only when the plane is well-trimmed out) while straight and level, I'll explain the trim control and let them adjust it. If they let the nose drop in a turn, I'll explain the lift vector and suggest holding some back pressure.

Generally, people don't have much trouble but tire of it fairly soon; their level of concentration is typically high.

Dave

First flight

I have taken many kids and adults for their first GA flight. Having them participate in the take off is always pretty exciting for them. When they tell their friends about the flight the fact that they got to take off was always one of the first things they bring up.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was managing the pitch trim. When ever I give them the controls I make sure that the plane is trimmed. As we continue to fly I occasionally jump in to check the trim. As we all know an out of trim plane can be difficult to hold level and first time pilots don't what it is suppose to feel like

went to the source

I logged in late today, because I am in the midst of travelling to take my 18 year old son, Doug, to college at Cal Poly SLO. Doug got his first airplane ride from an Embry Riddle grad in a Cessna at age 13 (then went on to solo at 16 on his birthday and get his PPL at 17). His answer was, "it's simple; let him fly".

On his first flight, to the extent safely possible (and he was 13 at the time), he felt he was in control of the airplane. His wonderful host pilot Taylor, let him choose the course, and the manuevers, and permitted him to hold the yoke (Doug at the time couldn't reach the rudder pedals) during takeoff and landing. When he landed, he truly felt he "could fly". He's never changed his mind since.

Keep it simple, keep it gentle, keep 'em coming back

Doug:

My two cents: KISS.

1. Focus on flying by looking outside,
Operate the radio, GPS, instruments and other distractors yourself, and let your first timer work the stick and rudder (under your guidance.)

2. Teach gentle control inputs.
When I take first timers up I generally...Gently show them what each control does...
If your first timer is yanking, banking, and stomping you will both be uncomfortable.
During the preflight, show how light and balanced control surfaces are, and how little effort is required to operate them.
Before starting the engine, reinforce the lesson:
"Take the stick, now slowly and smoothly move it right: see how easy it is to move the ailerons (rudder, elevator) ..."

3. Keep it short, leave 'em wanting more.
Plan for, and capitalize on, positive experiences:
"You're doing a great job keeping us headed for (landmark.)
I'll take the controls back for a moment, then I'll let you take us back to the airport before I land."

Good luck!

Joyride

I generally have them takeoff if there is no crosswind, let them climb out and level off. Then after they do the usual drift in altitude and bank, I show them the Earth horizon/cowl combination attitude indicator. I have them try a descent, climb and shallow banks. It is surprising how well most kids do! One thing I ask them to let me do is pull the power so they see the plane doesn't fall out of the sky.
I had one guy, about 18, that I met at GPM with his dad that flew the plane so well his dad didn't know it was him flying the plane. He wanted to be an airline pilot and I am sure he did verrrry good.
I know this sounds iffy but I have flown a number of kids and haven't had any problems! Just brief them and show confidence in them. I have had a couple of kids that I believe changed their attitude toward themselves because of their success.

Let the first timer do as much as they, and you, are comfortable with.

1. General safety brief. How to get out of the airplane etc.
2. I do a walk around explaining everything as I go.
3. I will start the engine, explaining what I am doing as I do it, and talk on the radio but I have them do everything else after that. If you are comfortable have them taxi and do the takeoff. If your comfort level is not there then have them follow along with you on the controls.
4. The flight is pretty much limited to the four fundamentals. Showing the aircraft reaction to control inputs, power changes etc. Keep it smooth and gentle. I would not bother doing any sort of ground reference or instrument maneuvers. Your first timer's brain is going to be in sensory overload and the subtle nuances of an ILS for example will be totally lost on them.
5. Flying over their house, school, work etc is great.
6. Let them do as much of the approach and landing as your comfort level allows. Maybe one touch and go followed by a full stop landing.

Most important thing about first flights is for you to keep talking. You should always be explaining what is going on or what is about to happen. Just keep talking.

First Flight

Doug -

To this day I still remember my first flight from 35 years ago. We took off and flew around the city at 1000 feet. I remarked at how the train yard looked like my train set at home. We flew over my house, around the lake, and headed back to the airport.

As many have said, each new flyer is different and up for different levels of experience. When I flew my oldest son the first time it was gentle turns and sight seeing. The second time up he wanted rolls, loops, and spins.

My recommendation for a first flight (and what I do for Y.E. flights) is see what the young man would want and start slow - 1) find a landmark and see it from the air (the speedway, the lake), 2) Show him the basics of flight (left, right, up and down) and let him try. I find most don't realize how much control input is necessary to actually make a turn. 3) Steep turns are fun but I wouldn't start there. It can be much like a roller coaster but where HE can control the direction and duration.

The goal is to show him how enjoyable flying can be. The learning (and much of the gee whiz bang stuff) happens later. Oh, and make sure he takes a camera to capture the moment and selfies.

Strike

Saville has the routine I usually use. Towards the end, depending on enthusiasm and tolerance, I remind them that the plane is dealing in three dimensions, and give them a couple back to back wingovers to drive the point home. Half the time that elicits comments on the ground like " . . and then at the end, we went straight up and then back down!" especially with the younger kids. :)

I just did that flight a few weeks back. I handed her the POH and let her do the preflight, pointing out how the controls move as she worked her way around the plane.

I let her taxi us to the end of the runway and do the run-up. I took off and let her fly us around. I didn't worry about heading or altitude because that first flight IS so overwhelming.

I did the landing and she followed me on the controls, same as the takeoff, and she taxied us back.

I purposely kept it to around 30 minutes and then we spent an hour and a half sipping Limon aid talking about the flight, answering questions, etc.

Fam Flight

I had done some Young Eagle Flights in my Cardinal as well as flying friends and family. One of the more successful techniques involved letting the passenger pick a point on/near the horizon like a tall bridge, grain silo, etc and let them fly the airplane to the same. It keeps there head up and looking outside but gives them some simple flight control experience.

Avoid steep turns and stalls and such first time out unless this is a extraordinary first time flier.

Also and even today if I am a passenger, I still really enjoy just looking out the window from the airborne perspective. Be sure to provide some quality time to your passenger to enjoy this new experience and especially if it is a first time to fly.

Enjoy!

I took a young feller up the other day. After take off and level off, he got the controls and did some mild turns, then steeper turns. Then we headed back toward the airport (non-towered with unicom) and I requested low pass over the runway. He was on the controls again keeping it straight. I think this was his favorite part.

Then we went looking for his house and flew over it before coming back in for landing. Just over 1/2 hour and he is hooked on flying.

To me you want to make this a fun flight, and let him take the lead. Pick a smooth and cool day and find out why he's interested in flying. If he's interested in flying because of the quick travel, pick a nearby airport and have him fly there noting the time difference with driving (would be kind of hard to show the true benefit if the 30 min is a hard limit). If he's a fighter/airshow pilot wannabe then some yanking and banking would be in order. If he's about the romanticism of flight it's hard to beat your cub low and slow during sunset.

I would try not to make it too much of a lesson, tell him what and why your doing things but if he falls in love with flying he will get the detailed lessons from the instructor. Lastly, as much as your comfortable let him handle the takeoff. My biggest memory of my first flight is the first 30 seconds when I got to push that nob forward and slip the surly bonds. I know that's more difficult with the tail wheel than the Cherokee I was in but at least let him push the throttle forward.

My first time at the controls as a young teenager was gosh....44 years ago now. The pilot let me follow through on the controls on take-off, gave me the airplane once we'd leveled off, and we did some easy turns, some level flight, he told me to circle a bridge down below....it was magical. hen he let me follow thorugh on the conrols for landing, talking through the process as he did it. Very simple, very easy, nothing radical.

One thing I'd add to all the good comments here - don't do anything even remotely close to the regulatory or "smart" edges of the box. No rolls without parachutes, no buzzing - nothing that you would have to appologize for or that will get a YOUNG new guy into trouble if he emulates it once he gets a license. That would be a bad way to start him off! Be a good example.

He'll have plenty of time to figure out how to do all those "stupid teenager tricks" on his own....

+1 on fly over his house.

Let him fly the plane to get a feel for the controls and how the inputs affect its flight.

That should be enough for 30 minutes, and will likely be enough to really peak his interest.

And some additional items...

Here's a hypothetical…

Let's say you are going to give an 18-year-old kid a familiarization flight in your RV in a few days. He is interested in possibly pursuing his pilot license. I plan on making the flight 30 min.

I am not a CFI, so have never really given this any thought. If you had to pick between three and five things to show this young man during your 30 min. flight, what would it be?

-Turns around a point?
-Turning on the autopilot and letting him steer the airplane around with the heading bug?
-Talk on the radio?
-Shoot the practice ILS to DH at nearby KAFW?
I have a few days to plan this, and since he is actually quite interested in getting his pilots license I would like to make it as good a first impression as I can possibly make it. I absolutely do not want to yank 'n bank until he turns green in the gills, or have him fiddle with so many buttons that he becomes task saturated and only remembers the frustration.

I welcome any and all input on helping me create a small 3 to 5 bullet point list. I plan on briefing him with this list before take off.

Yours in motivating the next generation,
dr

DR,
Being able to see even mundane surroundings from a altitude is good. something they can recognize (e.g. their house, the mall, local lake...)

I recently offered a flight at First Flight (Kitty Hawk) to a stranger. It fulfilled a dream for him. I flew off the coast, and had him look for big sharks at 1,500.

Keep it up.
Daddyman
contributed 2015 gladly

Lots of good advice

There is lots of good advice here. Don't overthink it... just try to make it fun and interesting.

WHAT!!

Gentle turns? Preflight Brief? Etc, No No No!!! Barf Bag, Duct tape and a headset with no mic, that's the way to do it! :)

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Not sure I saw this...

I let newbies hold the checklist and read it to me all the way through.

During walk around they say "Right Aileron" and I say what I'm looking at to okay it and what its purpose is.

Get in, start up check list

Before taxi...

etc.

I find that they like knowing what's about to happen, seeing how to do it, and the fact there is a very detailed checklist to remind them at each step.

Then I do an aileron roll and say "it's not in the list but it's fun... don't try it in a 152" heeheeheehee

Back