What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kill Switch

Rv8Medic

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advise as to how to wire a kill switch to deactivate the rear stick while the pilot in front is flying or visa versa. This needs to be done so there are no "counter inputs" to the flap or trim motors as well as keeping the kids from hitting the additional switches on the stick (flaps, fuel pump and A/P disconnect). I've heard some say just send all the grounds to a single switch but have also heard others say you need some sort of rotary switch. Any suggestions? I dual infinities with trim, flaps, PTT, A/P disc, Boost pump, and transponder ident. Thanks!

Gimme a break

What about wiring each stick to a separate breaker?

Last edited:
Just send all the grounds to a switch. That was the advice given to me by Mark Ausman of Vertical Power. I am doing exactly that on the RV8 build.

I sent all grounds but ptt(transmit) to one switch, and the ground for the ptt to another. I put two switched on my right gear tower so I could see them , but they are out of the way. 500 hours, many back seat riders, lots of young eagles and no problems at all

Different approach...don't put buttons on the stick.

I have A/P disconnects (separate pitch and roll), trim, and PTT in the forward corner of the left rear armrest. The rear stick is instantly removable; just pull the quick-release pin. No wires.

BTW, make your own choices of course, but why flaps and fuel pump in the back? Neither is necessary for a pinch-hitter.

Stick Electrical "Mixer"

Over the past couple of days (being snowed in) I built a box that will "mix" the signals from the two cockpit stick switches and interface with the aircraft (VP-X). As others have suggested, I used a DT3P switch to isolate the grounds. I can select FCP, RCP, or both. In the "both" setting, both sets of switches have a tie to ground so there is the possibility when both sticks activate a switch simultaneously that strange things could happen.
StickMixer_zps73462269.jpg

IMG_0180_zpscf5562af.jpg

IMG_0179_zpsf25b9c95.jpg

With the VP-X there is no need for relays and this approach meets with my KISS principle for electronics.

v/r
Strike

Last edited:
PTT Only

Rear seat only needs push to talk. I originally bought Tosten grips for front and rear. I found the forward angle of the rear grip required the stick to be cut very short to avoid interference with front seat back. Changed to a straight Ray Allen for the rear. Make sure your infinity will work in back without hitting front seat.

I wired back seat grounds through a "locking switch" mounted on the right front seat back support reinforcement. It can be activated from either seat, but I figured it was unlikely that a Young Eagle would think to pull the switch to move it.

I left the PTT active and made the locking switch accessible from the back so that the rear seater could have full control should I become incapacitated. Of course you have to brief rear seaters that you want to have control on the operation of the switch. I did not wire the "start" button to the rear...

If you combine grounds on either stick, remember that the start relay and fuel pump need separate grounds. I made the mistake of combining these and found out later it would not work that way.

I also made my back stick removable, in case I had baggage in the back, or someone I just didn't trust...

The cup holder came out, just not enough room for a water bottle...

Call it my Grandkid switch! Like others have said, wire all the grounds to one switch. Works like a charm.

why not a switch on power to the rear stick?

I wired all power to the rear seat stick switches that activate relays through a switch. That means only 1 wire on 1 side of the switch. I located the switch on the front side of the bulkhead adjacent to the pilots seat back where it is out of sight from the rear but could be reached by someone in the back. That way if I have briefed the rear seat occupant about it and there is an emergency requiring them to fly, they can reach it, but if its a kid, they aren't likely to see it. Is there reason it's better to switch the grounds than the power side?

Different approach...don't put buttons on the stick.

I have A/P disconnects (separate pitch and roll), trim, and PTT in the forward corner of the left rear armrest. The rear stick is instantly removable; just pull the quick-release pin. No wires.

BTW, make your own choices of course, but why flaps and fuel pump in the back? Neither is necessary for a pinch-hitter.

I have the Starter button, trim, PTT,flaps, Fuel pump,A/P disconnect on both front and rear Infinity grips. I started down that path to make it look cool :cool: , but then as I thought about it I wanted to insure I had a backup - E.G. Starter button failed while on a trip.

I put 2 disconnects - one for Roll and Pitch trim and One for the rest. This way my GIB could still fly and have a little trim to help out...and feel cool because they can play with the trim button :D

I utilised a set of compress fit 25 pin plugs onto computer cable. These ensured that the connections were of good quality and the final plug was used as the program module.:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...r&project=1932&category=7465&log=181591&row=8

As shown the plug mounted is coming from the VP-X and the ground switch. The grips are then added to it separately.

Using a piece of computer cable and press on 25 pin plugs. The Grounds are all connected via the last connector and feed back to a single disable switch. Very quick and effective.

Last edited:
Back