What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT sport EFIS setting

Hi,
How do I adjust the horizon line on the PFD/attitude indicator?
To present like the back-up, to the left.
Thanks
https://flic.kr/p/2nttuEq

I do not believe it is, at least not that I remember. The pitch ladder is adjustable in the settings.

From the Sport SX Pilots Guide;

6.3.3 Attitude Indicator/Artificial Horizon
Roll and pitch attitude information is displayed as a colored background on the EFIS. If attitude information is not available (such as when the AHRS is aligning), the background will be black.
The colored background uses the traditional blue to represent the sky. If the EFIS is equipped with synthetic vision, and it is on, the actual terrain will be shown, otherwise a flat-earth representation of the ground will be displayed in a brownish-green color. When the synthetic vision is showing the ground, the actual horizon is shown as a thick white line. Since the synthetic vision extends 10 miles in front of the airplane (and not to infinity), it is common for the horizon line to appear above the terrain when at higher altitudes.

Hi Skid,
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it.
I read that as well. I was hoping it was something else.
Kinda weird for me to be looking at the flight director command bars THAT much lower than the flight path, as well as the horizon.

Now that I think of it, is there a way to adjust the pitch bars along with the flight director? To bring it up to the horizon line.
Thanks

The sport appears to have the synthetic vision on. With it on the horizon line shows above the ground level, level with plane altitude.. The higher you go, the higher above the ground the white line on the ADI is. Turn SV off to get the line to match the Garmin. It is correct the way it is. Look at it when you are on the ground and they will match.
In other words, the Garmin is normal ADI and the sport horizon line shows level with you planes altitude.
Additionally, the yellow lines and the airplane symbol on the Sport are showing you the same information as the Garmin, and the white line on the sport show horizon level with your plane, 4500 feet above ground, if that makes sense.
You will get used to looking at it and after you realize what you’re seeing, it makes sense.

Last edited:
I do not believe it is, at least not that I remember. The pitch ladder is adjustable in the settings.

From the Sport SX Pilots Guide;

6.3.3 Attitude Indicator/Artificial Horizon
Roll and pitch attitude information is displayed as a colored background on the EFIS. If attitude information is not available (such as when the AHRS is aligning), the background will be black.
The colored background uses the traditional blue to represent the sky. If the EFIS is equipped with synthetic vision, and it is on, the actual terrain will be shown, otherwise a flat-earth representation of the ground will be displayed in a brownish-green color. When the synthetic vision is showing the ground, the actual horizon is shown as a thick white line. Since the synthetic vision extends 10 miles in front of the airplane (and not to infinity), it is common for the horizon line to appear above the terrain when at higher altitudes.

What Skid said but also ...

At 127kts, is your plane in a level attitude?
Does the reference correlate with what you SEE outside, as in your nose is a little bit up relative to the horizon?

I seem to recall a pitch ladder offset of around 7 degrees.

When you turn Synthetic Vision OFF, is all well?

This is not a pitch ladder offset, it’s SV. Turn off SV and they will match I bet.
See my post above.

Jerry, James,
Thanks for the reply! I’m going to try it out.
SV isn’t in the settings, right? It’s a soft key?
Thanks

This is not a pitch ladder offset, it’s SV. Turn off SV and they will match I bet.
See my post above.

I concur with Jerry. BUT, if you turn SV off AND there is a difference, check your offsets.

Another point ....

This view will make even MORE sense when you are in mountainous areas.
The mountains sometimes reach UP and try to smack you even when you are "above" the horizon (as SV shows). To get a good view of this, take some time to go and check out Jerry's videos on flying the GRT HXr. The SV you see on his HXr is like what you see on your system.

Another point ....

This view will make even MORE sense when you are in mountainous areas.
The mountains sometimes reach UP and try to smack you even when you are "above" the horizon (as SV shows). To get a good view of this, take some time to go and check out Jerry's videos on flying the GRT HXr. The SV you see on his HXr is like what you see on your system.

I can confirm - the SV view in the mountains is extremely close to what you see when looking outside. Same with runway views - they are spot on assuming I have the QNH set right. SV seems like an excellent safety feature that I don't plan to use, but I'm happy it's there.

Back