What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 14-03

StephenC

Hi I am involved with a group building RV12s with a group of school children. On our latest build we have noticed a change of rivets used to attach W-1207B to the sub spar.Also the lower rivet on the hinge assy W1212 is now specified as a counter sunk. Anybody know the reason for this. We have found the instructions a bit tricky to follow as we can’t see the logic behind this

Thanks Steve

I asked this question to Vans tech support and this was their response.

This is where common sense should prevail. We have wonderful and awesome engineers working at Van’s Aircrft but there background is not professional editing. Though very few, the plans may contain errors from time to time.

No need to countersink the rear spar doubler, just the flaperon bracket flange at this one rivet location!

Hi I am involved with a group building RV12s with a group of school children. On our latest build we have noticed a change of rivets used to attach W-1207B to the sub spar.Also the lower rivet on the hinge assy W1212 is now specified as a counter sunk. Anybody know the reason for this. We have found the instructions a bit tricky to follow as we can’t see the logic behind this

Thanks Steve

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220124-220120_AOL.jpg
    Screenshot_20220124-220120_AOL.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
CS4-4 rivets in W-1207B

If LP4-3 rivets are used in the lower line, you risk interference with the flaperon. I would recommend countersinking and installing CS4-4 per the plans.

Every SLSA that leaves the factory has CS4-4 rivets in those locations.

Best Regards!

Current version for 12iS

If you have a web-store builder account on Vans site, and you've registered your aircraft there (it shows in the "My Aircraft" menu item) you can click on "My Aircraft" and see a link to download the latest plans for free. It's supposed to be the same stuff you get when you buy the USB stick ( I think).

Why that revision for section 14 does NOT show up in any list I can find, is a problem. I've searched all thru the revision descriptions and cannot find a reference to that change. I've posted another thread about the problems with traceability between service bulletins/updates and plans. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=202219

If I'm barking up the wrong tree let me know, but I think this is an issue for just about all builders.

Attachments

• EC37CE4E-EA01-4105-91C6-609B493F290C.png
    EC37CE4E-EA01-4105-91C6-609B493F290C.png
    369 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
That is interesting! You are correct. The revision to section 14 does not show up in the website Revisions & Changes. I will ask that it be included.

Best Regards,

Back