What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Pillar fill

echozulu

Well Known Member
For those of you who glassed in the A pillar/windshield supports on the inside of the cabin top, how did you do that?

I'm running conduits in this space. Did you put foam and then fiberglass cloth layup? Expanding foam or foam cut to shape?

Or just dump a lot of micro?

Pour-able 2-part foam when the cabin top was on its back. Sand to shape. Cover with a couple layers of fiberglass. Sand & micro to finish. Don't do what I do. That stuff goes everywhere. Build up a good levee system to keep it where you want it. If you do more than one pour, each successive pour builds up a thin/ hard/ solid layer which can make sanding between layers a bit tricky.

If you're going to use the Aerosport side panels, think carefully about where they meet.

yes

Yes, think carefully about where the interior panels will be. Also, study where the conduit exits in relation to the bolts in the lower portion of the pillars. The wires will pass unobstructed WITHOUT the bolts installed but realize that there with be two AN3 bolts with AN365 nuts right about where the conduit exits.

Look at it very carefully, lest you be surprised once the cabin top is installed...

I did similar by using a Loctite expanding foam, sanding to rough shape, glassing over, and using micro to smooth to final shape.

I’d also agree with Bob on the bolts. I did have to cut away some of what I did on one side to get access to one of the bolts.

Back