What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D180 autopilot wallowing

dothetime

Well Known Member
I have a D180 with a SV42
Autopilot hunts back and forth when trying to hold a heading
I have the sensitivity at the max(25) after trying all the other settings
Shear screw is good,Torque at 100%
Aileron cables a tight as possible
On the ground with the autopilot on there is some play in the ailerons
Dynon said check the shear screw and tighten up the cable slack
Plane is a Zodiac 601XLB, but I lurk here often and you guys are the most knowledgeable pilots I know.
So any thoughts?
Dave
N601XP

Last edited:
Most electronics dont work their best with one or more of the adjustable parameters at the max. You might try backing off on the sensitivity and see if that levels anything. Sound like you have covered most of the other common problem errors.

compass calibration?

If I recall correctly, the AP in heading mode will tend to wander if your compass calibration isn't spot on. I think if you posted this question on the Dynon forum, you would get an answer from a Dynon moderator.

Most electronics dont work their best with one or more of the adjustable parameters at the max. You might try backing off on the sensitivity and see if that levels anything. Sound like you have covered most of the other common problem errors.

Thanks
Tried that too
Worse at lower setting

I have an RV-12 Legacy - -

In 'heading' mode, it wanders. Just the way it is. You need to use NAV if you want the best performance. I have mine set on soft reaction. The stick does not hammer at all. Goes straight if no wind. In rough air, it wanders then also. Constantly has to get back on track.

Back