What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

windscreen film - bird strike protection

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone considered using a plastic protection film like this on the windscreen to protect against damage caused by a bird strike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96x2tO9Xuxw

The main issue seems to be getting this plastic film to conform to the shape of the windscreen. I've used this in my data center glass and saw a live demo of how tough it is, and it's tough.

Perhaps some heat would allow it to be installed successfully on an RV windscreen.

Notice how the bullet does go through it, but the 20 MPH foot or pipe doesn't?

Without testing, I wouldn't assume that a 200+ MPH bird wouldn't go through it easily. Materials act quite differently at ballistic speeds

not flexible

All the products I've used are quite rigid polyester-based, able to follow a simple curve, but not compound like our windshields.
Also not entirely sure of the optics; it looks ok on commercial glazing, but might not be that great when curved, and you are looking through the adhesive layer.
Probably why airliners still have laminated glass windshields (for the most part.)

Back