What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lycoming 580 cylinders?

bret

Well Known Member
I am looking for these 5.319 bore cylinders and cannot believe how expensive they are, .194 bigger, really? you can buy new 360 cylinder-piston kits all day for 1,100. but one about 3/16 larger diameter and the price triples? sorry, just venting.....anyone have a source for these?

Economy of scale probably comes into play here. They probably move 100 times more 360 cylinders than the big bore.

Economy of scale probably comes into play here. They probably move 100 times more 360 cylinders than the big bore.

The "economies of exclusivity" is closer to the truth. 360 cylinders are 1/3 the price because of they can also be purchased from Superior and Titan.

so if any of you figured where I am going with this.....390ci....another question, are there any aircraft engine machinists here, can the 360 cylinders be bored out .194" to accommodate the 580 piston? or, find heads and barrels and make our own? I really don't want to spend 14K on cylinders........

I dont know for sure, but that would be a HUGE overbore even for an old thick walled iron V-8 block. I suspect that you will have major issues with the paper thin walls of an aircraft cylinder.

The cylinder barrel is a stressed component in an air cooled aircraft engine like this. Thus, they are sized to be just thick enough to handle the loads on them since weight matters. Overboring them means adding power while reducing wall thickness. Sounds like a good way to tear one apart.

A standard Lycoming 360 iron barrel wall is about 0.190" thick, so overboring it 0.194" would mean the wall would be less than half as thick.

I'd guess this is why the oversized cylinders are so expensive. The volume is much lower, but they have to start with completely different castings to get that much larger of a bore and end up with an even thicker wall for the added stress.

580 cyls

I believe the case shops can modify the case. Try Ly-con in CA! They may have some cylinders they pulled off a core. They probably don't last long so you may have to check back frequently.

Jesse
970-874-7575

The only thing with used cylinders is they need to be re nitrided or chrome....I am looking for new.......maybe abandon this whole 390 thing. Looks to be 40-45K

You know you want the 540. Just give in.

I have looked at the super7 that one person had, my fuse is built and don't want to lengthen it, that being said......where does one buy the shorter engine mount, and will my long James Cowl work?

I have looked at the super7 that one person had, my fuse is built and don't want to lengthen it, that being said......where does one buy the shorter engine mount, and will my long James Cowl work?

You also probably don't want to rework the HS/VS/Rudder and aft fuse to push your Vne - right? Don't you have the .016 riveted TE rudder? Don't want to see your name in the papers.

If you are after using all the speed - why not a 320 with turbocharging. With the right Cr, it could be a real efficient cruiser. Oh - and get fancy with a VNT not a wastegate. More power for less weight.

Bret, I've just been yanking your chain. For your first engine and with the money you're talking you might try a different route. A Superior XP IO360 kit would let you assemble a well proven engine while you get familiar with lycoming guts. Fly it, get comfy. Then build your hot rod motor and sell the XP. Your race engine is going to cost you like 5k per knot over the XP and this would get you flying months quicker.

you see....I have a disease........
unnamed1_zpssr9j5dih.jpg

I had that disease until I realized I'd been dragging a 340 cuda around the country for 23 years and only drove it for 3.

SPEED

Bret go to top of forum page to Temp postings and read the one about Fernendina beach that will get your need for speed going.If you want speed the cheapest way is a 260 hp six cyclinder.
Bob

Actually.....I have been emailing Kevin about his new 379 and 428, have you seen the new crankshaft! 4.95 stroke! that thing is beautiful!

NOW yer talkin'!

Actually.....I have been emailing Kevin about his new 379 and 428, have you seen the new crankshaft! 4.95 stroke! that thing is beautiful!

I was gonna suggest talking to Kevin - if only to give you another direction for your disease to spread...that is a nice looking Olds there.

Carrry on!
Mark

Good eyes! year 2000 long haul gang, so cal to Fl and back, the long way. might to sell for fan rotator.

Back in the days when the trips were awesome. I did the long haul in 2012. Detroit to Dallas. Detroit was so awesome I can't wait to go back.

I am actually surprised more people are not taking a serious look at his new cylinders, (ACE-Performance) Don't QUOTE me, but with my hot rod building experience, we always looked for externally and internally induced turbulence in the combustion chamber, my observations of these new AX50 cylinders, they have a quench area on opposing sides of the head, (I am guessing for the above reasons) allowing higher compression and lower octane fuel of similar designs. ACE is calming up to 220 HP out of their 379! and the ability to run auto fuel, and I think he also mentioned using synthetic oil. I'm sure someone will chime in to correct me if any of this is inacurate, but I am sold on this engine!

I am actually surprised more people are not taking a serious look at his new cylinders, (ACE-Performance) Don't QUOTE me, but with my hot rod building experience, we always looked for externally and internally induced turbulence in the combustion chamber, my observations of these new AX50 cylinders, they have a quench area on opposing sides of the head, (I am guessing for the above reasons) allowing higher compression and lower octane fuel of similar designs. ACE is calming up to 220 HP out of their 379! and the ability to run auto fuel, and I think he also mentioned using synthetic oil. I'm sure someone will chime in to correct me if any of this is inacurate, but I am sold on this engine!

How many actual flight hours has this "New" engine logged with 2 blade and 3 blade metal props? Can it be used with a composite prop at all?
Just curious...

Back