What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank Z bracket to tank misalignment

mill2978

Well Known Member
I just got the tanks clecoed together and put them on the wing. The alignment of the Z bracket(T-712) to the tank baffle is off. With the tank on the wing I marked the holes through the tank on the Z bracket and pulled off the tank to look.

IMG_8674.JPG

The spacing from the hole(future) to the edge of the Z bracket is only .228 from the edge.

I removed the T-702 tank baffle and placed it back on the Z brackets using the markings for alignment. I can see the center line I drew on the rest of the Z brackets. The misalignment is on both wings and only on the Z brackets nearest the wing root.

IMG_8669.JPG

Is this a problem? Should I order two new T-712's or build on?

Thanks

Aaron

Roll on. You have plenty of edge clearance to shift them about 1/8'. I moved my inboard brackets so I could fit a socket on the AN-3 bolt head. Checkoway method rocks!!!

Do you have proper edge distance for the fastener going in? If you have proper edge distance I would say press on..

It looks like that's the inboard bracket. I'd replace them, as you're a bit under the 0.250" edge distance recommended. Next time around, move the bolt centerline about 1/16" toward the edge of the bracket. In addition to moving the rivet holes, you'll be better able to get a socket on the bolts.

If you haven't already drilled the other six, move the bolt holes toward the flange from the center by 1/16". This will give you a bit more room for the rivet puller when final installing the brackets.

If you aren't familiar with the "Checkoway" method of fitting the tanks to the wing, do a search here in the forums. You'll be glad you did.;)

Success!

Thanks all for the replies, I am using the "Checkoway" method, I just screwed it up.

I decided that it was worth the time to wait and the 5$ to replace the part. It is holding the fuel tank, touches the spar, and I am sure I would be thinking about it in a few years when this bird goes upside down. 5$ is well worth the piece of mind.

I pulled the bad z bracket off, measured how much I needed to shift the holes, clamped the pieces together and drilled the new bracket.

It fits much better :)

IMG_8686.JPG

Back