What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good things happen to good boys :)

Darren S

Well Known Member
Just thought I'd share my latest video with you all. My oldest son Nicky did well on his latest report card and an RV-7 reward was in order. He's been wanting to go somewhere for awhile as I've taken his brother and sisters for a ride recently.

This was a perfect opportunity to spend a little time with my boy.

The weather wasn't great on the morning of our departure, mostly MVFR conditions, but for our return the next day things were much better.

We departed my home field of Chestermere, Alberta (CFX8) and landed at City Centre Airport in Edmonton (CYXD). A 20 min taxi ride and we were at West Edmonton Mall where the fun began............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXSS5t4vh7M

Hope you enjoy,

See ya at OSH in 81 day!,

Darren

Always a pleasure watching your short movies.

Way to go Nicky on your report card. :):):)

Darren,
I always love your videos. You have a gift. Love the song choice.

Good job Nick. I think in 15-20 years you are going to be "Just Like Dad"!

Quality time

It looks like there's a lot more to quality time than just the ride in the RV, great as it is. Great video!

Good boys.

What a cool video and very well done - loved it. Thank you for sharing. Hope to do the same with a granddaughter some day.

They Grow Up THISFAST

:)Thank you so much for sharing all of your videos. Don't let anything keep you from taking the time to spend special time with your children as they grow up in the blink of an eye. I speak from experience as my "Baby" will receive her Master's Degree in Speech and Language Pathology tomorrow morning.

Nicely done, Darren:) They do grow up so fast...my oldest boy got his start flying with me the same way; now he's going to be teaching me aerobatics and formation flying, seeing as how he just got his RCAF and USAF wings after 6 months on the T-38, and has returned home to instruct at 15 Wing Moose Jaw.

In other words, in a few years the roles could be reversed, and he might be sticking his finger up YOUR nose while you nap on the way home! Just think about it....:)

AWESOME Adventure

What a great dad you are Darren. How cool is that, even thinking about taking your son for an RV trip like that.

Nick, you have done a great job in school and you were rewarded for it with the best adventure you could have..... Some quality time with your dad. Well, except I think you learned another lesson. Don't fall asleep in the airplane....LOL

Well done, both of you.

Last edited:
Great Dad

I think my grades would have been better, all those years ago, if I had rewards like that!

So very cool!

Nice job.

What an awesome way to reward a son for doing a good job! That will be one of my favorite videos for a long time! Thanks for sharing your experience with us... it hit an emotional spot for me! I wish more folks could see what an awesome dad and great role model you are! The video production and the song choice were cool too! Nicely done!

Roger Pierce
Tulsa, OK

And it gets better! I'm 60 and my oldest son is 42. We are going to Osh together and camping by the RV. Great video! :)

In the words of the song...

"If he's anything like you..." he'll grow up and be a great dad!

I really enjoyed your video. Thanks for making it and for sharing it.

Inside?

Thats a great video. I was thinking the whole time that we do all of those things outside here in Texas! :D (Except fly. And we have a couple of malls you probably could) :p

I really really liked that video....

You must be very proud!!. Good job by both of you.

Great Video!

You've become really good at the editing and sync to soundtrack.

Thanks for sharing,

Scott

Darren,

Cool video! You did a great job!

I must say that I did have some pucker when I saw how close he came to that pole with the flap!

Maybe we wil see you at OSH!?!

:eek: CJ

Last edited:
Thank you all for the kind comments. I'm glad the video was enjoyable to watch. Nicky gets a little airsick so a trick I tried this trip was to let him fly as much as he wanted. Sort of.........

I engaged the 2 axis autopilot and told him to keep the plane on the purple line and to hold the altitude. Needless to say he did an amazing job :). As you all know the stick moves on it's own so I told him to keep a light pressure on it. It kept his brain occupied and there wasn't even a hint of airsickness.

Next up is a trip to New York. I'm leaving in a week.

Darren

Thanks!

Nice video Darren!

Can't wait for the day I get to have my girls up in the plane they helped build. By then, they'll be older and it wil lbe a trip to New York for clothes! :eek:

Cheers,

Don

Back