What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for good chronicle of painting an RV

dsmithlib

I am near certain I will be painting my RV7 with no experience. I do have a nearby auto painter who will guide me through some key aspects. I have also read Ron Alexanders book a few times.

But I always like to read about the real life experience as we often document for each other. I have not found a good 'paint story'.

I also like to ask.......What are the THREE things that you would recommend to ensure the success of....??
(in this case, painting my RV7)

Some more detailed questions include......
  • Would you paint single-stage poly or include a clear coat?
  • I will be painting individual parts (fuse, wings, etc.) Do you finish all processes on one part or do you complete each step for all parts?

Let's see, 3 things for a beginner painter?....

1. Practice on something else. (not just scrap parts, Paint your toolbox or lawnmower)
2. Prep is Paramount.
3. Perfect Paint is Probably not Possible.

Request

Request: Extend the subject to also include re-painting a plane (some guidelines for the stripping process).

One thing to remind your "auto painter" mentor; Let him know that, unlike on cars, here weight IS a big factor.

This one I found excellent...... to the point of using the scheme - with permission :)

http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Paint.htm

We have gone 2 pack auto paint, no clear coat.

Start with the easiest things to re paint ! Cuffs, fairings, cowls, then empennage, ailerons, flaps, wings, fuselage.

Spend time cleaning the gun - a clean gun is a happy gun. I have emailed off list with some photo's.

Last edited:
Back