What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How can you secure the plastic snap bushings?

dsmithlib

I am finishing the wire routes from panel to baggage area and of course there are several plastic snap bushings along the way.

They are installed properly yet never give me the feel that they are permanent. I occasionally knock one out with less force than expected.

What suggestions to improve the staying power of those bushings?

or, alternative bushings?

A little dab of clear RTV on the back will solve the problem. Be aware that RTV can cause problems if you are going to do some painting of that area in the future.

I am finishing the wire routes from panel to baggage area and of course there are several plastic snap bushings along the way.

They are installed properly yet never give me the feel that they are permanent. I occasionally knock one out with less force than expected.

What suggestions to improve the staying power of those bushings?

or, alternative bushings?

Sounds like the hole was drilled too large. A snap bushing installed in the correct size hole does not come out easy.

If you are using a step drill through thin material, go lightly on that last step. I've found that if you run the bit up against the next step, it can enlarge the hole slightly, causing the snap bushings to be loose. Another thing that doesn't help is that the snaps are designed for thicker material, so a slightly loose bushing can be canted slightly and defeat the locking mechanism. The fix for either of these problems is the same: make a 'washer' of material sized to both fit the bushing and increase the hole depth to fit the snap grip length. Insert the snap bushing in the hole and then snap the washer behind it to lock the bushing in place.

I've used a dab of "Amazing Goop" clear general purpose glue to help hold in place loose snap bushings and also on nylon edging grommet strips. It dries clear, flexible and seems to be paintable too. It won't glue nylon in situations where there is a large amount sheer stress, but then few glues really do well with nylon, however it sure sticks plenty good enough to hold a bushing or grommet in place.

The fix for either of these problems is the same: make a 'washer' of material sized to both fit the bushing and increase the hole depth to fit the snap grip length. Insert the snap bushing in the hole and then snap the washer behind it to lock the bushing in place.
This washer can also be placed on the forward side if the hole is "blind".

Do most of you secure the bushings in the tanks?

Well, I just made sure that the bushing hole was the correct size, and left it at that.

However, if you are really concerned, then I expect that one could use a bit of Fuel Tank Sealant to better secure those bushings.

Back