What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Baja Rally 2010

JordanGrant

Well Known Member
A few weeks ago, I was inspired by Scott Schmidt's trip report from his jaunt down to Baja. I now need to go to Mexico.

So, I am planning a copy-cat trip down to Baja, possibly all the way to Cabo San Lucas, during the last half of September. Full-on wintertime might be better for timing, but that's when my schedule allows it, so that's when I'm going. I've invited a friend of mine with an RV-4, who looks like he might be able to go, and another friend with a C-172 is possibly in, as well. That makes 3 airplanes so far.

I figure more RVs equals more fun, and increases the mutual support besides. So, if anyone else is interested in joining the trip, let me know. Right now, the only specific piece I have is a plan to rally the players in Las Vegas for the push south, and probably use San Felipe as the first destination in Mexico (I want to stay away from the whole Mexican Drug War thing along the border).

Also, since I haven't done this before, if you have any tips/recommendations that Scott didn't already share, I'm all ears.

On the Baja Bush Pilots forum San Felipe was out of fuel for about two days a week or so ago. May or may not be common. Suggest full tanks near Yuma before entering Mexico.

406 MHz ELTs not required in Mexico until Dec 31, 2011

Adding a C-172 creates a huge speed disparity.

Last edited:
Flying to Mx

I flew my Long-EZ to Cabo with a group of EZ pilots in '09.... amazing trip, but I wouldn't do it without someone in the group who's done it before. Baja Bush Pilots is a GREAT resource. I don't know that there is Mexician Customs at San Felpie.... we made our border crossing and check-in at Mexicali, then flew on to Loreto for next fuel stop.

We spent the week at the resort at Punta Pescadero, which I highly recommend, GREAT quiet, relaxing place with nice runway within walking distance of the resort. No FBO/fuel services there though, so have to plan fuel accordingly.

Interested

I am interested in going. I was going to go down with the Baja Bush Pilots in March but bad weather in northern California prevented my departure. So now I have a customs decal and Mexican insurance for the year 2010 and would sorely like to get some value from them. This is for my C-182. The RV-9 will not be ready by September. I can bring up the rear with the other spammers.

Height of Hurricane Season

Hurricane season in the eastern Pacific officially runs from May through November. But most of the activity that affects Mexico (including Baja) occurs in August and September, when the ocean waters that fuel the storms reach their warmest temperatures. Keep this in mind as you consider the schedule for your trip...

San Felipe (MMSF ?) is an AOE. I stopped there a month ago. Friendly folks.

Expect "Okie Dokie" as part of your landing instructions.

Only one plane on the runway at a time so don't expect formation landings/take-offs.

As far as needing someone along who has done it before...while that helps, it is not required. I did it essentially alone as I did Bahamas and Caymans. I did use the great advice of others for the Caymans and it would have been simpler going with them on their trip last year.

I joined the BBP for the Mexico trip.

Yes, going with someone who has done it is a help, but BBP and AOPA have the procedures well documented. Maybe one of the expert Caribbean pilots will expand their horizon to Mexico.

Things to get in place:

Passport

eApis registration

US Customs decal

All the aircraft paperwork and insurance (original and two copies of all documents)

Plus I would make sure the group is self-sufficient for possible repairs.

Last edited:
Keep it simple

Especially on your first trip into Mexico keep it simple and reliable.

Go in through Mexicali and get all your papers and Mexican insurace verified. make a flight plan for Loreto. At Lorreto make a flight plan for Cabo. There are (were) several hotels with private strips there or you can fly into the big airport San Jose Del Cabo (you are likely to go there for fuel on your way back at least). Taxis are common for ground transportation. When I went there I flew over Cabo San Lucas landed at the airport on the hill and a taxi was there before I was tied down. Unfortunately I was told recently that that airport is closed. I stayed at the Hotel Finnestera (sp?) which was special to me. It sat up on a ridge south aof town overlooking the pacific by the end of the earth with the Sea of Cortez off to the east. They have several good restaurants in town that you can walk to and I saw my one and only bull fight event there. Cabo San Lucas is a special destination.

Have fun

Bob Axsom

I just checked the BBP forum about repairs. Seems like the comment above is sort of correct. I did find this assertion:

"ICAO law, which is honored by Mexico, states that a US registered aircraft may be repaired by a US A&E. No Mexican A&E is required. However, if the US A&E is not an owner (or part owner) of the aircraft, the A&E must get a Mexican work permit."

I wonder if this means that having the repairman's certificate allows the builder to do his own repairs in Mexico? Imagine a flat tire at San Felipe. Is there a Mexican aircraft mechanic nearby? I tried to have the tools and parts needed to make likely repairs...ignorant of it maybe being illegal.

April 28-May 1

There is an event in Baja called the Mexican 1000. This is a vintage version of the Baja 1000 that will follow a three day rallly format instead of the start to finish whenever you finish approach. I will be riding a Trackmaster Honda 450. It will be agreat event from the air also. See www.norra.com for details.

And a Stein Air plug...

Although I had to take the big Alaska human mailing tube, I just returned from a week in Cabo and had a great time! Well recomended for anyone looking to escape the cold and rain but don't expect really cheap prices during Spring Break! For a cheap Stein Air plug (and keeping things RV-related), gotta love the tee-shirts, they come in handy! This was taken after just stepping off a 200' ledge during a zip-line/ rapelling trip. I think doing a flight down there would be really tempting one year for sure; I'm going back one way or another.

DSC_5495%20(800x536).jpg

Back