What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transporting unfinished kit?

RScott

Well Known Member
Medical problems--not actually too serious, but the FAA doesn't like the meds--have led me to decide to sell my kit.

I believe things work out best when you make it easy for folks to do what you want. If it is easy for a buyer to take it home, that's one less obstacle to a sale.

In this case, I have a fuselage with the finishing kit started--roll bar fitted, ready to start canopy.

I have an engine.

The fuse is currently on a platform about a foot high; the platform is on casters. Steps are mounted.

I am willing to do some more work to make it easy for a potential buyer to move, such as putting it on the main gear or even mounting the engine and the nose gear. How would you move an unfinished fuselage if it was not on the gear?

Wings rest leading edge down in a cradle on casters. Securing them is probably not a problem.

My concern relates to making it safe & easy to strap it down in a truck or trailer.

Suggestions?

These fuselages are light, and easy to manage, when everything else is left off. I'd leave as is. I moved mine at that stage too. You can rest it on pads as an option. The cradle you have now could even be placed on a trailer, without or without fuse depending on weight.

edit: I had some old four inch thick mattresses from a bunk bed, they worked great.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Last edited:
If you still have the crate the finish kit came in just put all the loose parts in it and set the fuselage on it. Van's movers, a very profession mover, just moved a kit for me this way.

Back