What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer usage

aarvig

Well Known Member
I know this should be posted in "primers" but I thought it would get more exposure here. Can the Napa 7220 self etching primers be sprayed on in cold weather or do they need to be applied in warm conditions? Does anyone who is currently using this product have a temp range for me?

I don't have the specific answer for you. Most paints like it to be as close to 70 degrees as possible. My experience is that even a 5 degree drop extends the amount of cure time quite a bit. I suspect if you paint at too low a temp, you may also have some adhesion issues. What does the can say?

You may want to invest in some space heaters to assist in keeping the temperature reasonable. However, remember that you don't want them running while you're painting.

Cold is OK...

...according to a friend who is using that primer during the build of his RV-8. He's sprayed parts in nearly freezing temperatures. Apparently it just takes longer to dry.

I shot some in about +40F temps this past winter. It took about twice as long to dry but I gave it plenty of time and it adhered just as well (and covered just as well) as the stuff I sprayed in warmer temps.

I am using the Dupli-Color self etch and it stinks really bad, so I take my parts outside the shop to spray (even in the winter), then bring them in to dry completely. The cold seems to have no effect.

I figured the NAPA primer was Sherwin Williams, because it looks to be identical--same color, same can. The SW primer is good to 40 deg.

Back