What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ATS Rivet Squeezer

777drvr

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I've used the search function and haven't seen any mention of this squeezer :

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=5022-3A

I'm not builing an RV right now but want tools so I can do repairs and mods ( maybe build in the future ) . This one doesn't look too cheesy and is well priced . I like quality tools but am struggling with with the decision to spend a fair bit more for something from Avery or Cleaveland .

Essentially , I'm looking for good value . If anyone has experience with the ATS tool , I d love to hear it !

Marc

do you need a squeezer?

Unless you are making some major repairs, why do you need a squeezer? There are lots of pop rivets that can be used for structural and non structural repairs that can be set with the cheapest puller from Princess Auto (That's the Canadian version of Harbor Freight). You can even get cherry max rivets that are super strong and look like solid rivets when set. I rivet squeezer would be low on my list of necessary tools for repairs but high on my list for building.

Most likely no one has mentioned it as it doesn't look like the yoke is interchangable. Most folks tend to go with a squezzer that supports the standard CP214 type pneumatic yokes.

The ATS rivet squeezer is ****, the Tatco unit is a bit better, but a quality unit from Avery or Cleveland is well worth the investment. When you buy a quality tool, you only cry when you write the check, but when you buy junk, you cry every time you use it.

The Tatco might be OK for use now & then, and you can buy additional yokes for little more than half the cost of a yoke for an Avery or Cleaveland.

But, the Cleaveland Main Squeeze is the best manual squeezer and the Avery is #2 in my book.

And if you entertain dreams of building a metal airplane, you might then want a pneumatic squeezer, which uses the same yokes as the Avery & Cleaveland, and you'll wish you had bought one of those, not the Tatco.

Tatco comments also apply to USATCO.

Main Squeeze

Another testimonial here for the Cleaveland Main Squeeze. Pricey, yes ...but still one of the best tool investments I've made.

Thanks for the input ! I didn't realize the ATS unit was so cheesy . I guess I'll get the Main Squeeze because it looks cool ! While it may be overkill , buying the RV-4 has given me a great excuse to buy some very interesting tools . I do expect to build a plane in the near future so it's probably a good investement.

Marc

Back