What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need RV-7 wire routing alternative for forward fuse area

dsmithlib

I have ample routes to bring all the wiring into the forward fuse area. Once there, it seems there are three vertical routes. Left, right and under the center floor cover.

In Van's OP-10 drawings, it shows the left and right routes pretty clearly. The route takes you from the spar channel forward to the 602. You then go through the 602 and head vertical.

At this point things become pretty crowded with support angle, rudder cable and vent lines. The flexibility required to make the turns would seem to prevent conduit? It also seems to be right where you might rest your foot.

Are you taking a different vertical route?
Are you using conduit up there at all?

Ideas and links are appreciated !!

"Lip" Conduit works well.

Are you taking a different vertical route?
Are you using conduit up there at all?

Ideas and links are appreciated !!

Electronics supply or electrical supply house will sell this. It's a rectangular plastic conduit, with flexible "lips" on one side and peel and stick (and I mean really stick) on the other. Comes in various sizes, from 1/4" wide to about 1.5" wide.

My forward wiring comes through the center spar section, down low, makes a turn to the right or left to get to the angle running along the forward fuselage floor, then goes into a conduit mounted on the bulkhead where the vent lines are. Between the spar section and the conduit I use spiral wrap to keep every thing neat.

Wires are easily pushed down into the conduit through the lips and are held securely. Can easily be pulled back out if needed.

If your feet happen to rest against the conduit (mine never have) it's not an issue, the stuff is tough.

YMMV

Vertical up the firewall

I grouped all of the wires from aft of the center section into one bundle that passes thorugh the center section just to the right of centerline. Then the wires are routed through Van's plastic conduit laid on the floor against the outboard side of the floor angle at that location. The conduit runs from the center section to the firewall and is turned up on each end and secured to the structure with a cushioned clamp. I stopped the conduit about six or eight inches above the floor at the firewall and supported the wire bundle with cushioned clamps from there.

I am using a carpet that is backed with closed cell foam that fits between the floor stiffeners to create a flat floor from one side to the other. I cut a strip off of the foam backing to make room for the conduit next to the floor stiffener.

Back