What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How can you access the nut in this drawing?

dsmithlib

I am trying to attach my C728 Ball Stud Aft Mount to the Aft Canopy Deck with #8 screws as depicted in the attached drawing snipet from my RV7 tipup.........

ballstudattachmentsmallbf9.jpg

The aft deck is attached and so I am unable to get wrenches or sockets up there to hold the 11/32" nuts. I guess this is one of those things I should have done before attaching the Aft Deck ! ?

Is there a tool that can be used?

Is there a blind rivet strong enought to replace the AN509-8R12 screws?

My goal was to see my tipup....TIP UP.... before heading to Osh....
Ideas appreciated.....

Dave,

I made a nutplate plate to install those. I couldn't figure a way to get the nuts on either, and this idea actually came to me from Bill Repucci. You can reach up there and hold the nutplates with a finger, get the screw started, then the other one is easily lined up, and tighten them down. Worked great!

5-17-08-003w.jpg

Tough but doable

I used an open end wrench to get in there to hold the nut and then tighten things with the screw driver. A little frustrating, but doable.

The nut plate idea is a good one!!!

I just installed nut plates permanently behind the deck using 3/32" blind flat head rivets. The rivet heads are pretty much covered up by the plate.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-Up O360-A1A
Finishing Up

Similar problem on the -6A. I could get a socket in there but not a socket plus drive. So I used a longer socket and vise-grips to hold it while I turned the screws with a driver.

I wish I had been either smart enough to ask or just smart enough to think of it. Either way I could have avoided the cobbled up mess I ended up with. I'm thinking that should be a standard method added to the RV drawings.

I used a box end wrench and screw driver.

The hardest part was getting the washer and nut started. I put double side tape on my finger and stuck the washer to it. Did the nut the same way.

I like the nutplate idea. Next time I'll do it that way.:)

Kent

Funny Parallel:

I had a similar access problem with the washers and nuts for the canopy slider rail on my -9A. Persuaded my wife to superglue a washer/nut assembly to the end of her fingertip and then with her smaller fingers, hold it in place from underneath while I started the screw from above. Worked well until I got impatient and used an electric screwdriver. Unfortunately, the torque of the electric screwdriver overcame the grip of the sueprglue on her finger tip, and took the skin right off. Must've hurt like ****, and I'm still remined of it to this day.

Allan, funny story..

But your wife was probably not laughing.:eek:
How hard was it to convince her to do it on the next 3 nuts?:D

Kent

Ring-spanner and tape for the slider-rail nuts!

Allan, no need to mess-up your wifes fingers! I did not find those nuts very difficult, just put some tape over one side of the ring of a ring-spanner and put the nut, with the washer on top, in there. With a bit of feel you can get the screw started.
I took those rails off a dozen times, no problem.

Regards, Tonny.

Funny Parallel:

I had a similar access problem with the washers and nuts for the canopy slider rail on my -9A. Persuaded my wife to superglue a washer/nut assembly to the end of her fingertip and then with her smaller fingers, hold it in place from underneath while I started the screw from above. Worked well until I got impatient and used an electric screwdriver. Unfortunately, the torque of the electric screwdriver overcame the grip of the sueprglue on her finger tip, and took the skin right off. Must've hurt like ****, and I'm still remined of it to this day.

Try using a glue stick, works just fine, and saves skin.

Also, remember this trick when you get to installing rudder, elevator, flaps, and ailerons.

For those with fat fingers, try a tongue depressor, or pop sickle stick.

Last edited:
Kent,

I think that was the last time she helped!!!! The issue was of course, getting the screw started in the nut, and I don't think a glue stick adhesive would have resisted the turning moment as well as superglue... ;)

In the end I found/bought or borrowed a pair of hemostats with a curved end and used those. Had to use a big screwdriver to lock the edge of the nut against the inside of the fuse. Worked, and I didn't have to remove and replace these rails at all.

Next time - nutplates or nutserts for sure!

EZ Turn

I am trying to attach my C728 Ball Stud Aft Mount to the Aft Canopy Deck with #8 screws as depicted in the attached drawing snipet from my RV7 tipup.........

ballstudattachmentsmallbf9.jpg

The aft deck is attached and so I am unable to get wrenches or sockets up there to hold the 11/32" nuts. I guess this is one of those things I should have done before attaching the Aft Deck ! ?

Is there a tool that can be used?

Is there a blind rivet strong enought to replace the AN509-8R12 screws?

My goal was to see my tipup....TIP UP.... before heading to Osh....
Ideas appreciated.....

Dave, I found that EZ Turn has the consistency of thick honey. A dab on the tip of the finger will hold the nut sufficiently to get it started and an open-ended wrench finished the job. There have been a few other places, ailerons, etc., where the EZ Turn made a hard job easy. Glenn

Last edited:
Back