What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exuma trip

ChrisHodgens

Hey guys I am planning an anniversary trip for my wife and I to Exuma Bahamas, has anyone made this trip out there and can enlighten me on some of the pitfalls that I might find. I appreciate all the information I can get. It’s been years since I dealt with customs, water flying, etc! Thank you fellas and ladies and wishing y’all a better 2021

Get the AOPA Bahamas flying guide, it’s well worth it.
Don’t clear customs in Ft. Pierce on the way back, worst experience ever. They suck!
Conversely, we cleared customs in Eleuthera and they were the nicest people on the planet.
Get your customs sticker for the aircraft before leaving.
Make sure you have 12” numbers on the aircraft. If you’ve got 6” numbers you can make temporary numbers with Oracal 631 tape.
Get your aircraft radio license at the FCC website. Good for 10 years.
Life vests required for over water.
I picked up an ACR ResQlink PLB 406Mhz with GPS for added insurance just in case.
Speaking of insurance, check with your carrier to make sure you have coverage in the Bahamas. Most include it, some require a rider.
Bring sun screen and have fun!

Have been to Treasure Cay twice, most recently last year shortly after the hurricane, to deliver some Xmas presents. The infrastructure was devastated and they were just happy for any visitors and help. Exumas probably fared better but I haven’t been down there.

I’ll second the pilot’s guide. Ft Pierce was a pain, but the most convenient option for me on the way back. Each time they tell me that my taped on N-numbers aren’t legal, but can never point to the law, and let it slide.

Dealing with the US side and ADIZ crossing is generally more tedious than the Bahamian side, just make sure you have cash and the required forms filled out before hand. You will also want to have your customs decal ordered plenty of time in advance, and also have an account set up on the customs system for your passenger manifest. All that is laid out in the flying guide.

These days, I would make sure of the current COVID related requirements both in and out before making the trip.

Enjoy the trip!

Chris

Last edited:
Get your aircraft radio license at the FCC website. Good for 10 years.
!

Strictly speaking, that’s two different FCC licenses. An Aircraft Radio Station license for the airplane; and a limited radiotelephone operator license for yourself. They aren’t free.

Strictly speaking, that’s two different FCC licenses. An Aircraft Radio Station license for the airplane; and a limited radiotelephone operator license for yourself. They aren’t free.

You are correct but since he flies for SWA I’m pretty sure he has the required personal FCC license that’s a one time issuance and good for life. The aircraft radio license however is only good for 10 years. Not free but pretty reasonable if I remember correctly. Nobody ever asked me for it but it is required.

Ft Pierce was a pain, but the most convenient option for me on the way back. Each time they tell me that my taped on N-numbers aren’t legal, but can never point to the law, and let it slide.

Agreed. These fools tried to do the same to me. We arrived 5 minutes early and they wanted to issue a fine for that too since I had to wait for them to open. “Well if you arrive early we don’t know you’re here and you may be hauling drugs.” I had to really bite my tounge to not come back with “news flash a** h***, if I was hauling drugs I wouldn’t have stopped to see you.” No fines, all bluster. I’ve cleared customs all around the world and they are hands down the worst.
Personally I would fly out of my way to avoid Ft. Pierce despite their convenient location.

I believe current FCC charges are $70 for operator’s license (good for life); $170 for station license (good for ten years).
IMHO a bit excessive considering there’s nothing but paper here.

Staniel Kay - Chamberlains Cottage Rentals

If you are IFR capable and your aircraft can fly at 12,000' or above you do not need to stop at the nearest airport of entry when coming back to the US. If you are neither of those then you must stop to clear customs at the nearest airport with customs. I have been to Ft Pierce and can say that when we were there they were courteous and professional. You can get the information you need directly from the Bahamas tourism website describing the procedures and don't need to buy a book for $34.95, although it is a nice book. The Bahamian tourism ministry also often run deals to reimburse for avgas if you stay a certain period of time in country on the islands.

https://www.bahamas.com/getting-here/private-aviation

Things to note:
You must file an EAPIS for your flight inbound and outbound
https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/auth/login.html?resource_url=https%3A%2F%2Feapis.cbp.dhs.gov%2F%3Futm_source%3Dwww.faa.gov%26utm_medium%3Dwww.faa.gov%26utm_term%3Dundefined%26utm_content%3Dundefined%26utm_campaign%3D%28not%2520set%29%26gclid%3Dundefined%26dclid%3Dundefined%26GAID%3D1748466594.1609484072
No night VFR in the Bahamas.
You can buy a US customs sticker for the plane before you leave (takes weeks to get in the mail) or pay a fee at customs when you get back sans the sticker.
https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#%20

File a plan leaving the US.
Arrive at airport of entry in Bahamas and get a cruise permit.
Fly from island to island and enjoy the scenery.
Depart from airport of entry from Bahamas and pay fee.
Make sure to file a plan coming back to the US and establish radio contact before crossing the ADIZ.
Land at nearest US customs airport and clear customs OR fly at 12k on IFR plan to customs airport of choice.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/us_restrictions/airspace/

Our favorite place to stay in the Exumas is Staniel Kay. The Chamberlain cottages are competitive for the island and have nice accommodations. Rent a 17-20'ish boat and you will take yourself and wife to many of the things to do while there. Google will tell you all about them but the Bond Thunderball grotto is there, swimming pigs, iguana islands, a few aircraft crash sites, etc. all only accessible by boat.

If you are IFR capable and your aircraft can fly at 12,000' or above you do not need to stop at the nearest airport of entry when coming back to the US. If you are neither of those then you must stop to clear customs at the nearest airport with customs.
Land at nearest US customs airport and clear customs OR fly at 12k on IFR plan to customs airport of choice.

A border overflight exemption is required for general aviation aircraft to overfly the first designated Airport of Entry (AOE) when arriving into the U.S. from below the 30th parallel in the eastern U.S., and below the 33rd parallel in the western U.S. This covers all flights from the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America, and French Polynesia.

In other words, the info quoted above is correct when coming from below 30° but only with a pre-approved border overflight permit, which the vast majority of us don’t have. If you have it, you know that you do. Otherwise, plan to stop at one of the AOE in S Florida.

AOPA info link

I have been to Exuma multiple times in both experimental and certificated airplanes. It is a very simple procedure. You can download a copy of FAQ about the Caribbean at our webpage under the ADVENTURES section. It covers all the Caribbean to include the Bahamas.

I recommend you use the local FBO (Odyssey Aviation) to coordinate your arrival and departure. They are excellent, have a US toll free telephone number (877-487-1418) and make the entire process go super smooth.

When I go to Exuma, I typically depart and return the U.S. from Ft. Pierce (https://www.airnav.com/airport/Kfpr). It is a very convenient "pit stop" for both going and returning. Exuma is well within flying range of Ft. Pierce for most GA airplanes. You can get fuel, rent a raft if you want and clear Customs all at one place. I have never had a problem clearing Customs there.

SPX is 100% correct when he posted:
A border overflight exemption is required for general aviation aircraft to overfly the first designated Airport of Entry (AOE) when arriving into the U.S. from below the 30th parallel in the eastern U.S., and below the 33rd parallel in the western U.S. This covers all flights from the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America, and French Polynesia.

In other words, the info quoted above is correct when coming from below 30° but only with a pre-approved border overflight permit, which the vast majority of us don’t have. If you have it, you know that you do. Otherwise, plan to stop at one of the AOE in S Florida.
FWIW Over Flight Permits can be a difficult and expensive process to obtain for GA airplanes so not worth it for a flight every couple of years.

I try to keep the over water portion of the flight to a minimum, which with all the islands on the route is quite easy to do. This is the route I typically fly to stay over land as much as possible. The longest over water leg is 55Nm so you are never more than 25Nm from land. Almost all the islands have runways on them, they may not have houses but they have runways. I flew this exact route (KFPR - MYEF) while ferrying a Zenith 750STOL to Puerto Rico a few years back. You can also check out photos of the route in the 2017 Zenith Ferry Trip in the ADVENTURES section of our website.

If you want more details on doing this trip PM me and we can chat on the phone. Overall I think you will have a great time.

:cool:

Last edited:
FCC license

You guys mention the FCC lic is required. Is it required in the CONUS or just with a trip to the Bahamas? I had one as a student pilot but at some point my instructor told me it wasn't required any longer. That was like in the late 70's. I have no paperwork or proof that I ever had one. Am I ok or do I need to do something about this?

You guys mention the FCC lic is required. Is it required in the CONUS or just with a trip to the Bahamas? I had one as a student pilot but at some point my instructor told me it wasn't required any longer. That was like in the late 70's. I have no paperwork or proof that I ever had one. Am I ok or do I need to do something about this?

FCC licenses are required for flights anywhere outside the US but not for domestic flights. It is an ICAO/ITU requirement which the FAA has no authority over. So if you never fly outside the US then don't worry about it. BTW, if you fly non stop from Seattle, WA to Juneau, AK they are required since you have to fly in Canadian (ICAO) airspace. At least that is the legal requirement.

Last edited:

To operate a radio in an aircraft you are required to have a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit". As far as I know it is still a requirement to obtain one of these since we are operating radios. Most will get one as part of getting their initial pilot's license. No test required, just send your information in and you get an FCC license to carry around with you and it never expires. At work when the FAA shows up for an enroute safety check, they do want to see it along with your license and medical, but we do fly internationally so I have never asked if we need an FCC license to strictly operate in CONUS.

In the USA, the aircraft radio license is only required if you're flying the aircraft internationally.

Here it is straight from the FCC Form 605 Schedule C instructions:

"You must obtain an FCC Aircraft Radio Station License if you make international flights or communicate with foreign stations. If you are not required to obtain a license - you do not need to file this form with the FCC."

A Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit has not been required for domestic flight operations within the US for decades now. :cool:

FCC licenses are required for flights anywhere outside the US but not for domestic flights. It is an ICAO requirement which the FAA has no authority over. So if you never fly outside the US then don't worry about it. BTW, if you fly non stop from Seattle, WA to Juneau, AK it is required since you have to fly in Canadian (ICAO) airspace. At least that is the legal requirement.

Like Galin said. Just found this on the FCC website for licenses:

"An RR is NOT needed to operate the following:
Aircraft stations which operate only on VHF frequencies and do not make foreign flights."

Radio License

Just checked in my wallet. Yep, there it is.... yellowed, crumbling and generally coming apart. Dated 2-28-78. Dang... forty three years ago. Glad we didn't have to list our weight. I'd be depressed to have to acknowledge that I am both old AND fat.

Now you're making me feel old :D

Hey, hey I "resemble" that remark. :D

FWIW, I had been in the FCC "business" for years when that rule came about. I even had the discontinued First Class Radiotelephone Operator License with Broadcast Endorsement, which really makes me feel old!!! :eek:

Last edited:
Bahamas

A few things to suggest. Contact banyan aviation fbo. They are based at ft pierce and will mail you a nice little kit with the whole process laid out. Google Bahamas outislands website. They will give you some great discounts and tips/links. Getting in and out of ft pierce is not the most fun, and customs there can be less than great but a necessary evil.
Once you clear the adiz and US airspace the angels start singing and the water colours are amazing and all is right with the world.

Been 6 times, favourite place to fly for my wife and myself. Once on the outislands it is great. Very laid back, very little night life, just slow down and enjoy the beaches and kaliks.

Wifi is good at most airports for flight planning etc.

Enjoy the trip, pm me if any questions you want some tips on. Cheers.

I'd love to know if anyone has ever been asked for either the FCC station or operators license. I never have, between the US and Canada anyway. I kind of wonder if customs in the US or anywhere even knows about that requirement.

Yes

I'd love to know if anyone has ever been asked for either the FCC station or operators license. I never have, between the US and Canada anyway. I kind of wonder if customs in the US or anywhere even knows about that requirement.

Yes there are countries that will ask to see your station and operators license. I have even been asked to display my second set of corrective lenses.

Yes there are countries that will ask to see your station and operators license. I have even been asked to display my second set of corrective lenses.

What countries? Just curious. Also I never knew about the second set of corrective lenses thing, so your post prompted me to look it up. Thanks!

Over the last thirty years I've from Naples Florida to at least 6 different Bahama Islands over a dozen times. Several trips were with nothing but a Loran and a VOR. Like I was told, I bought all the radio licenses for my first trip. In thirty years, NOBODY in the US or the Bahamas has asked to see my radio operators license.

I'd love to know if anyone has ever been asked for either the FCC station or operators license. I never have, between the US and Canada anyway.
I have personally been asked twice in Mexico, twice in Cuba and once in the Dominican Republic. The last time was in 2015. I have been flying GA airplanes international for over 30yrs and have done well over 100 trips. Remember you are NOT in the U.S. so FAA rules don't apply only local nations rules (mostly ICAO/ITU) do.

I kind of wonder if customs in the US or anywhere even knows about that requirement.
As a retired U.S. Customs Agent I can guarantee you the officers know the requirement. It is taught as part of Customs Law at the Academy during basic training and they get tested on it. It isn't normally checked but has been used as an aggravating factor to many enforcement actions or fines taken against people.

Just like speeding, "nothing happens, until something happens.".

Last edited:
Mostly EASA countries

What countries? Just curious. Also I never knew about the second set of corrective lenses thing, so your post prompted me to look it up. Thanks!

Hello Randall,

When it comes to ICAO standards the EASA countries are the most consistent/stringent. The USA and adjoining countries do follow many ICAO standards, but there are exceptions allowed by the CBP officer. As far as the strictness of asking for specific compliance, in non-EASA counties, like Radio Station documents etc... it mostly depends on how well the inspection begins. If you start out with the proper paperwork, are on time, and your aircraft is obviously properly maintained your odds of a quick and pleasant arrival increase significantly. If your CBP officer is having a frustrating day, it would be best to be fully compliant with your documents. :)

stuart has airport entry now. probably the nicest place to live or do customs. :D

check all times and fees before using facility.

rv hotel and overnight parking is available with me if needed.

enjoy the sandy beaches and warm waters.

turbo out.
P1020216.jpg

Marathon KMTH airport has a customs office open from Wednesday through Sunday. Easy in and out. If you want to overnight or spend a few days in the Keys the Marathon FBO folks are very helpful there.

make a call before leaving and check on fuel availability. it can be hit or mis sometimes.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Where do you find this IFR/12,000 ft rule? I just spoke to St Augustine, Fl customs agent and he said in order to clear customs North of Ft Pierce, Fl from the Bahamas ,under 91 regulations, you need an overflight permit regardless of flight plan or altitude.

If you are IFR capable and your aircraft can fly at 12,000' or above you do not need to stop at the nearest airport of entry when coming back to the US. If you are neither of those then you must stop to clear customs at the nearest airport with customs. I have been to Ft Pierce and can say that when we were there they were courteous and professional. You can get the information you need directly from the Bahamas tourism website describing the procedures and don't need to buy a book for $34.95, although it is a nice book. The Bahamian tourism ministry also often run deals to reimburse for avgas if you stay a certain period of time in country on the islands.

https://www.bahamas.com/getting-here/private-aviation

Things to note:
You must file an EAPIS for your flight inbound and outbound
https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/auth/login.html?resource_url=https%3A%2F%2Feapis.cbp.dhs.gov%2F%3Futm_source%3Dwww.faa.gov%26utm_medium%3Dwww.faa.gov%26utm_term%3Dundefined%26utm_content%3Dundefined%26utm_campaign%3D%28not%2520set%29%26gclid%3Dundefined%26dclid%3Dundefined%26GAID%3D1748466594.1609484072
No night VFR in the Bahamas.
You can buy a US customs sticker for the plane before you leave (takes weeks to get in the mail) or pay a fee at customs when you get back sans the sticker.
https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#%20

File a plan leaving the US.
Arrive at airport of entry in Bahamas and get a cruise permit.
Fly from island to island and enjoy the scenery.
Depart from airport of entry from Bahamas and pay fee.
Make sure to file a plan coming back to the US and establish radio contact before crossing the ADIZ.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/us_restrictions/airspace/

Our favorite place to stay in the Exumas is Staniel Kay. The Chamberlain cottages are competitive for the island and have nice accommodations. Rent a 17-20'ish boat and you will take yourself and wife to many of the things to do while there. Google will tell you all about them but the Bond Thunderball grotto is there, swimming pigs, iguana islands, a few aircraft crash sites, etc. all only accessible by boat.

Have not flown the Bahamas since they shut it down (Covid). I used to have an Overflight since Sanford, FL. (KSFB has a CBP facility but Ft Fierce has been easier.
I have 8" numbers and have never had a comment. I do not have a radio license and have never been asked.
Never had an issue with ADIZ but fly IFR.
US doesn't even require the same paperwork since 2018-2019 so Ft Pierce was 5 minutes tops.

File IFR
Take life jackets and maybe raft
Pre-file E-APIS
Get CBP sticker in advance. Good for the year.
Have a current Passport.
Take a smile and patience. Bahamas time is real Slooooooow.

Private Flyers - Overflight permission (exemption to flyover)

Where do you find this IFR/12,000 ft rule? I just spoke to St Augustine, Fl customs agent and he said in order to clear customs North of Ft Pierce, Fl from the Bahamas ,under 91 regulations, you need an overflight permit regardless of flight plan or altitude.

Last time we landed in Ft Pierce I picked up a flyer detailing the overflight permit. It had minimum 12,500' (correction) and IFR listed on it as requirements. Odd that they would require you to be flying on a westerly heading IFR at a minimum of 12,500 but that is the way.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-225?language=en_US

And the officer is correct. Remember there is a LOT of misinformation on the INTERNET and yes even here on VAF. :cool:

BTW, I personally know that particular Officer.

I believe they are confusing the rules for direct flights between US territories, which is a very different thing. Direct flights between US territories (an example is between Puerto Rico and Florida) can be done without clearing US Customs or Immigrations if IFR above 12,500ft. It is a dommestic flight, just like Florida to Alabama. You must still clear Agriculture if required.

None of this applies to flights to/from the Bahamas.

Last edited:
And the officer is correct. Remember there is a LOT of misinformation on the INTERNET and yes even here on VAF. :cool:

BTW, I personally know that particular Officer.

I believe they are confusing the rules for direct flights between US territories, which is a very different thing. Direct flights between US territories (an example is between Puerto Rico and Florida) can be done without clearing US Customs or Immigrations if IFR above 12,500ft. It is a dommestic flight, just like Florida to Alabama. You must still clear Agriculture if required.

None of this applies to flights to/from the Bahamas.

Nope, not confusing direct flights between territories. The rules for the over flight permit include IFR plan and 12.5k altitude requirments I mentioned and are indeed what I was referencing.

Back