What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prostate Cancer & Your Flying Future

STINGRAY

Shortly after recieving my emp kit, my physical indicated a high PSA result. To make a long story short I underwent surgery (last week) and am currently recovering from the ordeal. I would like to hear from other VAF members who have had prostate cancer and what their experiences have been. I do have a couple of friends that had this several years ago and are now flying high.

In as much as 50% of men over the age 50-60 will be diagnosed with this disease, I'm sure there are several RVers out there who have gone through the experience.

http://www.lancairpilots.org/showthread.php?t=2387

Tony... i hope your recovery goes quickly and well.

I recalled seeing the club columbia thread above, about another well-known aviator's prostate treatment. You may be interested in checking it out. Also, the hi-def video is an amazing piece of work. unfortunately, it didn't work for me just now.

Jae

Prostate cancer and flight

STINGRAY said:
Shortly after recieving my emp kit, my physical indicated a high PSA result. To make a long story short I underwent surgery (last week) and am currently recovering from the ordeal. I would like to hear from other VAF members who have had prostate cancer and what their experiences have been. I do have a couple of friends that had this several years ago and are now flying high.

In as much as 50% of men over the age 50-60 will be diagnosed with this disease, I'm sure there are several RVers out there who have gone through the experience.
I had prostate surgery three years ago, and still carry a second class medical. I have to be screened each year by my urologist, with a PSA test and a statement to my AME, the FED then grants a waver for one year, and i then must repeat the process again, and will have to do so for the rest of my life as long as i want to maintain a medical. According to FED and FAR's i do not qualify for a normal medical, i must use the waiver process. I can be reached at 623-363-5365

jmadson

Does your situation only apply to Class 2 and 1 Medicals? My Third Class has no such restrictions or waiver. I had surgery and radiation. Just a PSA test and a writeup by my GP is fine with the FAA. But it has been over 5 years.... :)

Last edited:
Sport pilot medical is based on a valid driver's license. Each state has different medical requirements. The requirement will depend on the rules in your state. I would think that in most states, it wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
If you are over 40, you need to read this and get a PSA test.

I had Prostrate cancer diagnosed in June 2004. A couple of years before that I had a PSA that was getting somewhat higher each year so I had a ultrasound. The Urlogist said my prostrate looked OK and did not think a biopsy was necessary. Then in 2004 my PSA went up a little more and my General Practice Doctor suggested very highly that I get a biopsy no matter wht the urologisdt said as he had seen some patients who passed the ultrasound but still had cancer. Thank God he did because I had a Gleason 8 cancer of the prostrate, which is measured from 1 to 10. This turned to be a very aggressive cancer.

The Oncologist said with my type of cancer, only radiation therapy and hormone treatment would be the course of action for me. That was supported by two more doctors. I started hormone treatment which consists of a shot every 4 months that cost $2,300 and a daily pill that cost over $1,000 per every three months. Then I took around 40 radiation treatments that finished up Thanksgiving of 2004. Since then I am still on hormone therapy and seem to be free of cancer with a "0.0" PSA.

I waited a year to take my medical because I was afraid of the results. However the Flight examaner worked me through the procedure. I got a report from my Doctor that verified I was cancer free and was able to get my medical.

I am working hard to finish my RV7-A hopefully this year. Fuselage and wings have beeen mated and starting to work on fluid lines.

STINGRAY said:
I wonder how prostate cancer - assuming full recovery - would affect one under the sport pilot rules?
As Mel has said, it shouldn't - as long as you hold a DL and consider yourself fit to fly, then fly. YEA Sport Pilot.

get your prostate checked

If you are 50 or older, or if you are at least 40 and have a father or brother that has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, do yourself and your family a favor and get a prostate exam.

As with all cancers, early detection is the key to successful treatment. The primary method of examination is the DRE (digital rectal examination) which can often be a difficult thing for guys to subject themselve to. In actuality, If your physician is trained and experienced, it is not that big a deal. GET IT DONE.

The PSA test (prostate specific antigen) is another test that is gaining acceptance, although it is not specific for cancer. An elevated PSA does not necessarily mean that cancer is present, as it can also be caused by BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia).

Should either of the above tests be abnormal, your physician may recommend a biopsy be done. This is accomplished by using a thin needle that is guided into position through the rectum and into the prostate by an ultrasound device that is inserted into the rectum. A thorough exam is done by taking 13 separate biopsies. These are done after the MD numbs the prostate.

All of this sounds like it is no fun, but I can tell you from personal experience that if you choose a Urologist that knows what he is doing, it can all be done relatively painlessly. I had to have all this done due to a slightly elevated PSA, which at my age (50) had the attention of my doctor (and me to say the least). Forunately for me, mine was a case of prostatitis and not cancer.

I apologize for the long-winded post, but guys, PLEASE get over any hang-up you might have about being checked out, even if you do not have any symptoms associated with an enlarged prostate. Cancer can be present with no symptoms presenting themselves. Prostate cancer is very treatable if caught early. GET A PROSTATE EXAM.

Best regards,

Good urologist

painless said:
... if you choose a Urologist that knows what he is doing, it can all be done relatively painlessly. ...
Now there's the tricky part. If you have any hints about how to tell a good doctor from a bad one, I'm all ears!

prostate cancer

The comments to prostate cancer and screening are very good, my medical would still expire every year even if it were a third class, could be my age (67) drives that requirement, but the facts are that having prostate cancer does not disqualify you, just requires a different process in the medical issue. The main thought in dealing with this is early detection and action to treat the cancer. It would be highly unlikely to be incapacitated by the cancer if it is treated, but the Feds take a no judgement process, and disqualify you for the normal process of obtaining a medical.

Good point, Mickey.

Ask your primary care physician who he would recommend for a urologist, and put it in the perspective if HE had to see one. One way to tell also is to ask about the equipment the urologist uses. If he still uses a ridgid cystiscope, and not a flexible one.....run! Ask if he does procedures using the green light laser. Ask how often he goes to continuing education. One of the best ways to choose any sort of healthcare provider is from patient testimonials. Ask around and find out who other people are comfortable with.

This is all predicated on whether the urologist you choose is in your HMO! :mad:

In my case, my urologist is a neighbor as well as a patient of mine, so he knows if he messes up, I can first of all find him real easy and then hurt him real bad! ;)

Regards

Last edited:
Absolutely GET CHECKED! I just had a full physical this month (not the FAA class three If-you-can-walk-talk-and-have-a-pulse physical), but a thorough going over. I'm turning 43 next month and figured it's time to get serious about my longevity. PSA was normal, and the DRE was, well, not something I'd like to do everyday, but overwith so quickly that it was really a non-event. The doc was a young and quite attractive gal which added to the weirdness factor, but I decided that as long as she didn't laugh, neither would I. "So, does this mean we're going steady now?"

Nah, I didn't say it....but I sure wanted to!

Git'r done, fellers.

Brian Denk said:
the DRE was, well, not something I'd like to do everyday, but overwith so quickly that it was really a non-event. The doc was a young and quite attractive gal which added to the weirdness factor

My one and only DRE was during what I thought was going to be just a routine checkup. It was the first time I'd seen this doc and he was a friendly, but thickly-accented Indian gentleman. Towards what I thought was the end of the exam he casually told me to turn towards the table and bend over for what I heard as "the rest of exam". Assuming he wanted to look at my spine or something, I complied. Well, when I saw him start lubing up that glove I realized that "rectal" and "rest of" can sound an awful lot alike through an Indian accent.

Weird as it was, you're right, it goes real quick. I really can't imagine having a good looking female up there though! :eek:

Last edited:
After having spent the last 2 months of this ordeal going through all the poking, proding, pulling, I could tell you some really funny ones. Doug R. would probably kick us off the system.

But it's good to hear from you guys.

Geez, if you guys don't have me worried about mogas, vapor lock, mags quiting, flutter, fuel contamination, metal fatigue, flat tires, engine fires, electrical failures, GPS systems quiting, or just falling out of the sky to join the smokin hole club, you guys now have me worried about my prostate :eek: Where EXACTLY on my RV-9A is the prostate located, and how do I check it? :D

I'm kidding of course, it's a good idea to get checked. Thanks.

Last edited:
How To PREVENT Prostate Cancer

Here is a link to a video discussing the Cancer Vitamin D connection.link

Diet rich in colorful vegetables and low in refined carbohydrates, plenty of sunlight.

Keep your insulin, CRP, glucose, LDL Cholesterol and triglyceride levels low, and you are good to go.

Nucleus

Checking the size/consistency/shape of the prostate is only part of the reason to have a digital rectal exam. The other reason is to check for rectal cancer. A physical exam (male or female patient) is not complete without a DRE. If you aren't getting one with your physical ask for it by name. Early detection of colo-rectal cancer can be life saving. Part of the rectal exam includes screening for occult (hidden, not magic!) blood in the stool. That requires some at home participation on your part. Occult blood in the stool can indicate a colon cancer beyond the reach of the examiner's finger. If you are over 50 or have a family history of colon cancer ask about a sigmoidoscopy (short distance exam, no sedation) or a full colonoscopy (long distance, requires sedation). I've had both and they are quite tolerable. The worst part is the bowel prep the day before. You can't get too far away from the potty; thirty seconds is a long time under some circumstances, if you know what I mean. It is very reassuring to have a colonoscopy with no pathology found. BTW, don't be shy. Doctors deal with intimate subjects on a daily basis and we are not embarrassed by this portion of your real estate. Nothing personal, just business.

Stephen Lindberg said:
BTW, don't be shy. Doctors deal with intimate subjects on a daily basis and we are not embarrassed by this portion of your real estate. Nothing personal, just business.

We all say this to ourselves and loved ones, but it's nice to hear it from an actual physician. Thanks.

Prostate Cancer

Let me add my two cents to this. All replies are right on and this problem is just one of the aspects of getting old and dealing with routine matters. I teach safety at a college and I discuss "age related" impairments and as a matter of fact I bring up PSA and prostate checks for guys and pelvic and breast examinations for the women.

I too found out I had prostate cancer and I had it removed in 2005, the day after my birthday and had all the FAA problems about getting my 3rd class medical too. Have to report every year. I think they do not want to worry about the cancer metastasizing to your other organs and bones and probably taking pain meds to combate the disease which would affect your flying.

A quote I like giving my students "better to be embarrased than dead". Get those checks.

Sample form for Dr's report Re: Special Issuance Prostate Cancer

I just finished treatment for prostate cancer (cyberknife) and am in the process of getting the documentation together to apply for the special issuance. Does anyone have a copy of (a sample of) the letter/report (preferably in a form the FAA has accepted) my Urologist and Oncologist ned to write?

Thanks in advance

Rich

I have been checked and have had biopsies done twice. Once because I just have a high psa number and second because it jumped pct/wise quite a bit. Fortunately, the many strips of my prostate that were ripped off did not yield cancer and for that I am grateful and blessed I know. To say the biopsies aren't painful would be a lie...think about it...13 to 20 open wounds inside your body. And yes, you pee blood for longer than you wish. All that said, its still worth finding out and I'm sure less painful that the treatment if the answer is not what you want to hear. Why do we need the darn thing anyway? Can it be one of those parts we donate? Before we go?

Here is a link to a video discussing the Cancer Vitamin D connection.link

Diet rich in colorful vegetables and low in refined carbohydrates, plenty of sunlight.

Keep your insulin, CRP, glucose, LDL Cholesterol and triglyceride levels low, and you are good to go.

Nucleus

And here is the video authors website http://products.mercola.com/?aid=CD847&gclid=CPzSxLCQ6aECFQqbnAodCi_DLg where you can shop in his store and buy all sorts of neat stuff from him to keep you healthy.:rolleyes:

I especially like the offering of a 3 month supply of "Purple Defense" you can read about it's "miracle ingredient" here http://products.mercola.com/purple-defense/ in an essay written by the same Dr. Mercola who owns the store.

Last edited:
If you find you have prostate cancer be sure to check out proton beam treatment. There are about 6 places in the U.S. that do this now and more on the way. Loma Linda University Medical Center has been doing this for 20 years with excellent results. Painless, minimal side effects and effective. The main disadvantage is you will need to be near the facility for 9 weeks for daily treatment. Check out www.protonbob.com

form a prostate cancer survivor

A few random thoughts from a prostate cancer survivor. Successful surgery in '01 - no I (incontenence) and no I (impotence) at all, ever. Yes, I was one of the lucky ones.

First, on advice which I followed, get a young urologist/surgeon!!! they are trained in the latest procedures!! Ask me why this is number one on my list - a new (in '01) technique called by the laymen -save the nerves - saved me from the I and I.

Get a 2d opinion and don't be shy telling your first Dr that is your desire. I flew to DC and had the best cutter I could find do the 2d - yes, it confirmed the first. Turned out the Dr. I chose for the 2d opinion was the mentor of my primary urologist!! No problem there - primary called and got an appointment for me the next day.

Focus and study - do your own research, make you own decisions (where, when, what procedure) after consulting with experts, friends and family. (Much like building the airplane you want, not what some one else wants for you!!)

I've not yet discovered a good reason to delay what ever procedure you decide on. (Yes, other health problems, family issues, etc may cause a delay.) Assuming no such "outside" reason, why wait and give the big C even more time to attack?

Lastly, rely on your friends and family for what ever support you may need. (Not the support that well meaning people may want you to have!) Again, it's just like building that airplane. As my mentor said - you can't go it alone. Good luck, Hawkeyestof

Now there's the tricky part. If you have any hints about how to tell a good doctor from a bad one, I'm all ears!

Dr's, by and large, are like anyone else in any vocation. Most of them are good, a few are truly superior, and a few are bad. So the odds are stacked in your favor when you go looking.

There is usually a plethora of advice on forums when this question is posed.

It usually relates to board certification, CME's, number of lawsuits, actions by the state board, where and when the Dr trained. etc.

To some extent these items are all important but to RV builders I would suggest an alternative method simply by asking "how did you select the RV as the plane to build?"

I suspect it was word of mouth, input from acquaintances you know and trust, track record of success and your own individual research into the subject.

I am not a Urologist nor Oncologist and the prostate is at least 2 feet away from the heart so any advice you glean from me on the above subject is worth what you have paid for it.

Lot's of good advice above but I will add my 2 cents worth.

Any time anyone gets a diagnosis that contains the word cancer it is mentally devastating and terrifying to that person and those close to them.

In the case of prostate cancer you usually have some time to get through this phase. While a large percentage of men will get this diagnosis during their lives it is a disease that very few will die as a result of.

This is because it is very slow growing, late to metastasize, responds well to treatment and is one of the few cancers where public awareness leads to early detection.

Early detection is the key. If it is found early you have plenty of time to educate yourself, discuss it with you family physician and by all means get a 2nd and even 3rd opinion. Several opinions in treatment of prostate cancer are essential because there are so many options for treatment.

Each option carries it's own risks, benefits, and long term consequences and the more you know about these the better able you will be able to choose from among them. If you have the intelligence to build or fly a plane and make decisions of consequence necessary to build or fly then you have the skills and intelligence to research the treatment of prostate cancer and make the necessary decisions that are correct for you.

Learn as much as you can, utilize the resources available, (friends, family Drs) and then follow your instincts as to what is best for you.

While I am also not an AME my suspicion is the FAA continues to require input frequently to be assured there is no recurrence nor any ill delayed side effects from therapy.

A few random thoughts from a prostate cancer survivor. Successful surgery in '01 - no I (incontenence) and no I (impotence) at all, ever. Yes, I was one of the lucky ones.

I also had the surgery in 2001 and annual medicals since. In 2009 I was surprised to get a letter from the FAA saying I could go back to biannual medicals. I guess after 8 years they figured I was cured.

Anudder thought..

A family member needed surgery recently.
I called the chief of the anesthesiology dept at the facility and asked him who he would send his dad to. Took him a nanosecond to reply.
Anesthesiologists work with surgeons day in and day out.
They see the good , bad , and the ugly.
I think you'll find they will be more than happy to tell you who's good.

S_tones
lurker

I read all the posts eagerly as I have been having a higher PSA then my doctor like to see, although it goes down at times and then up again. I had the biopsy done about six months ago and nothing abnormal was found. But my PSA now is still on the high side, even though DRE didn't show any abnormality either I may have to repeat the biopsy again in just a couple of weeks depending on the result of my next PSA test in a couple of weeks. Among other things, I had been worried my medical and how this could affect it. From what I have read here, it seems that it is not an automatic disqualification which I am happy about it. Just finished my 7A last year and been enjoying it. It would have totally sucked if I would have had to sell it as a result.

Prostate Cancer, not a problem.

Out of the clear blue at age 68 I developed Prostate Cancer. Nothing one year then the next a PSA of 4.5 I had a biopsy which showed cancer and a Gleason score of 7, (very aggressive). I had it removed by Robotic Surgery which took 3 hours and went home the next day. No problems other than having a Catheter in for a week. Not uncomfortable, just inconvenient carrying a bag around all the time. Six months later my PSA was 0.0, one year after surgery it was 0.0 and now I go again in June. I was going to do radiation and figured if that didn't get it all then I would do surgery. You can't do that because the radiation destroys some tissue and then it is very difficult to do surgery. I felt with a 7 Gleason there was no way I was going to fool around with this nightmare, so out it came. My AME said getting approved for a 'special' with Prostate Cancer is a 3 out of 10. Virtually no problem. He issued my 3rd class and then Oklahoma City followed through by sending me a medical listing the requirements for follow through. Every 6 months for 5 years I need a PSA test and a Medical every year for 5 years and then it goes back to every two.
Hope this helps your concerns. If you have any questions about it or Robotic Surgery you can call me a 810-516-6651.

If you are diagnosed with Prostate Cancer (and many of us will be), consider doing Proton Radiation Therapy. It's equally as successful as surgery (roughly 93% to 88% cure if gleason 6 or 7) with far, far fewer incidences of urinary incontinence or erectile dysfunction. www.ProtonBob.com
Ron
[email protected]

This is something that many of the responders did not mention. How did they fare with incontinence and E.D. after surgery? There are several friends/neighbors where I live that have gone through this and all of the surgery recips (robotic or otherwise) have had battles with both problems.

AME can issue 3rd class

"but the Feds take a no judgement process, and disqualify you for the normal process of obtaining a medical." That is not correct, as noted in the results posted by "dbgrosch" above. I had robotic surgery 3 years ago and in prep for my next medical I read all the FAA medical regulations on prostate cancer. For 3rd class the regs specifically state that the AME has the authority to issue based on their evaluation; they also have the right to defer the decision. When the surgical report shows no signs of cancer in the bladder neck and other marginal tissues and the follow up PSA tests show "undetectable" levels aka <.01 score the AME has no reason to defer. If your AME does not know that find one that is better educated in this area. No disrespect intended; no one knows everything.

A couple issues I have not seen mentioned:

1. "Watchful waiting" is sometimes the recommendation, figuring you will die of something else before the cancer gets you. That's what the told a friend of mine when he was just in his middle 60's (He didn't like that approach & changed providers & got it treated. Still kicking ~20 years later). Personal opinion, this is advocated by people who don't have the disease and are just looking at statistics. You don't want to be on the wrong side of the stats. Prostate cancer is a bad way to go and if it were me, I would want it treated.

2. In the media a few months ago they were saying PSA tests weren't worth it; it led to unneeded worry and often there was no cancer so the tests were a waste of money. I have no expertise, but it sounds to me like it was being advocated by an agency or insurance company in order to save money.

3. A year or two ago, it came out in the media that it wasn't the actual PSA score that counted but the rate of change. This is what they looked at with a friend of mine, rechecking his PSA over a few months and as it increased rapidly, then they did the biopsy and found an aggressive cancer. He had surgery and has been told he will need an FAA review annually.

4. Just speculation, but it seems to me that a needle biopsy is only a sampling process and that cancer could be missed--sort of throwing darts at a board without knowing where the bulls eye is. I had BPH and they only sampled 8 points in 1999; my friend was sampled in 16 points which sounds like better odds to me.

Maybe some of the docs on this forum can comment on 1-4.

Additional Info

I am not a MD so all that I can relate is my history and the lessons learned. I hope that those of you who are squeamish about this subject will consider that this is really a life or death choice IF YOU DON'T ACT.

I started having my PSA taken when I was 45 - I recommend that firefighters begin at 30. At that time, I had a PSA of 3.0 and that didn't worry either me or my GP. The 3.0 PSA continued for many years until I was told in late 2003' that my PSA was 5.0. That didn't mean a lot to me as my GP said just to get an appointment with a Urologist. No urgency was mentioned so I decided to defer until I had taken care of my wife who was just diagnosed with cancer.

In April of 04', my wife was well on the way to recovery so I finally saw a Urologist. My Gleason was 7+ = not good (= almost really bad). Did the research and found the following;

The 'average' Urologist Surgeon who removes the prostate had a 'success rate' of about 60%. I define 'success rate' an 'the patient recovers without any complications or side effects - ie., the patient has no colostomy bag, no incontinence, and is still able to perform'.

The 'best' Urologist Surgeon who removes the prostate had a success rate of 85%. He was located in Los Angeles and he had patients literally from all over the world.

I choose Loma Linda Hospital where the 'success rate'' was better if the cancer of the patient wasn't too far advanced.

Lessons learned - again from my experience - I am not a doctor;

A. Get a PSA every year after 40 years old or whatever you and your GP have decided. Get informed about what the PSA is and what the numbers mean (you should know your PSA number as well as you know your phone number). It's your life not your GP's life.
B. When/if you are told that your PSA either has increased in number or has exceeded 3 or 4, then get some further diagnostics. Do it right away - days are very important here - it's not like a toothache.
C. The FAA wants to know about your cancer. They will not take away your right to fly but you will have to forward some paperwork. Good skill.

Prostate Cancer

A few words in reply to RScott's post. I'm a private practice urologist nearing retirement. I've done many radical prostatectomies, seed cases, and cryo-ablations.
You are absolutely correct about the PSA, changes are very important. A steadily rising normal PSA is just as concerning as a stable but 'elevated' PSA. All urologists follow many patients with elevated PSA's. Most of us like to have at least one biopsy to feel safe though. PSA is actually not a cancer test, but a "noise" test for the prostate. Higher PSA's imply unusual activity which includes prostatitis/enlargement/instrumentation. Roughly 35% of PSA's between 4 and 10 are caused by cancer, ie, 65% are benign causes. Most urologists use a 12 core transrectal ultrasound guided system. More cores do show more cancer, but the increase is marginal. Really suspicious cases we take to the OR with anesthesia and use a mechanical grid to guide cores, up to 28 in some cases.
That 'watchful waiting' is a real can of worms. We use the term 'active surveillance' to dress it up a bit now, but it is the same. Usually we are watching low volume, low grade disease. Perhaps one or two cores of Gleason 6 or so disease. Protocols abound, but for practical purposes, very frequent PSA's and annual rectal exam. Re-biopsy at the slightest change. Prostate cancer is an indolent disease, I have seen many patients with no treatment and little or no progression, with excellent quality of life. My experience is that often times patients finally come to aggressive treatment, usually still with good outcomes. There is risk with just watching though.
There is great controversy about the value of PSA testing. Something like 80% of prostate cancer patients die of other causes. The argument is that only 20% of the cancer pool needs to be treated, and we treat the whole 100%, causing more harm in the whole group than the good we do in the 20% that need it.
Realize that the majority of patients are covered by government insurance (medicare). Also realize that huge numbers of boomer males are entering this risk group. The money involved is enormous. The government would dearly love to not treat this group, so one always needs to be suspicious of data with so much money riding on the outcome. We have been dealing with this controversy for years now. Most of us had to chuckle at the firestorm last year when it was suggested that mammograms in younger women were not cost effective. Breast cancer is a lot more politically correct that prostate CA.
As far as risk factors go, race and genetics. Black men and any males with a blood relative with PCa, especially, if the relative was less than age 60. American cancer society guidelines are very good, maybe start screening 5 years earlier to be safe. My understanding is that uncle sam accepts an association between agent orange and PCa, so if you are a vietnam vet with PCa, be sure to check it out with the VAH, They can be very helpful with the expenses.

Masterplumber, thank you for your informed comments.

You are right on with the comment about agent orange. I have a friend who served in Vietnam and had prostate cancer. The VA stepped right up & paid for his treatment.

Prostate Cancer Help

Gents,

I was diagnosed with PC three years ago, and underwent High Intensity Ultrasound (HIFU) treatment for the cancer. This was before I attempted to get a third class medical when I was getting ready to fly an RV8 (after a 19 year layoff from flying). Having been a former corporate pilot carrying a 1st class medical for 20 years, I believed the hype about the "breath on a mirror and if it fogs, you are approved" for a third class. To my shock, I became a "Special Issue" candidate. Upon researching the requirements for the Special Issue, I became concerned that it might take 18 months to 2 years to get through all of the steps. Somehow, I heard about Pilot medical Solutions of Bethany, OK. One call, and some paperwork, and they handled the entire process for me, including coaching my primary care doctor and urologist in the proper way to write their letter to the FAA. Pilot Medical Solutions walked my paperwork through the Aeromedical Branch, and five days later, my Third Class Medical was issued. I do, however, have to get a letter from my uroligist each year to keep the medical. Pilot Medical Solutions has taken care of me on this, too. They are not cheap, but they do get the job done! I would recommend them to anyone who is having a problem. Contact Carrie Stowell at 405-787-0303 for information.

Craig Taylor

This always happens....

to the other guy. Right? Wrong! I'll cut to the point quickly, and then add details for those who are interested, as I couldn't find enough information myself just a few short months ago. Today I received my 2nd class medical certificate 7 weeks and one day after having undergone a robotic nerve-sparing prostatectomy. Yes, you can read between the lines on that one. And, YES, I am a very happy person today!!! I wasn?t looking for surgery after having never had any for the first 55 years of my life. As a matter of fact, I had NONE of the symptoms associated with prostate issues, let alone cancer. Yet this has been a very long year for me that has come to a very happy ending. Here's the story....
I am an avid, open-level racquetball player. I find it a great stress release, as well as fun. But, it is a rough game in its own way, and every once in a while something gets hurt. In January of this year I thought I had pulled a hamstring, but the pain was excruciating
and unlike anything I had ever experienced. I could hardly walk without tears almost coming to my eyes. So, I went to see the orthopedic surgeon. After many tests, including an MRI, the diagnosis was ?soft tissue damage, no need for concern, and here?s some therapy exercises." Of course, by this time I am feeling better, too. A few days later I am having a casual phone conversation with my lifelong pilot friend and AME Dr. Chuck Hoyt (many of you may know Chuck if you are in the Ohio area), and I mention my leg pain to him and he says go get your PSA checked. I think Chuck is joking, because he is always yanking my chain. Turns out he will be one of many that I owe my future to. I go get it checked, and the number comes back 3.1. No big deal according to the urologist, but since it had changed from 1.6 the last time it was checked 16 months ago, he thought a regimen of Ciprofloxin for 6 weeks followed by 6 weeks of waiting and another PSA test would be the right course of action, as it could just be Prostatitis. Well, 12 weeks later the PSA is still 3.1, so he recommends a biopsy. Not fun. Then the call I will never forget, the evening of our 33rd wedding anniversary. Your results came back positive. Of the 12 core samples taken, 1 showed 5% carcinoma and 1 showed 13% carcinoma. Now we had to decide on a course of action. Just sit back and wait? Do you think I know how to sit back and wait for anything to happen? So we looked at the choices: Radioactive seeds, High Dose Radiation, or surgery (laparoscopic or robotic). I was all scheduled for HDR, because it is very quick. No time lost at work. Then another great friend, Dr. Jim Frank, called to give me a hard time about my future and turned us on to robotic (DaVinci) surgery and a great doctor by the name of Scott Miller right here in Atlanta. I do listen when family and good friends get in my face, so we went to see Dr. Miller. I interviewed him like I was hiring someone, promised I would be a good patient if he would be a good doctor, and the rest is history. The procedure went well. I only took a Percocet for the ride home, and lived on Tylenol and Advil after that when needed, as I had read that healing would be faster without narcotics. I don?t like them anyway, so no problem there. The first week with a catheter is not fun, the second week is with Depends, and after that things just gradually get back to normal (yes, the sex has been completely normal since the day after the catheter removal. It?s too bad there is so much negative info out there regarding this particular topic). At 6 weeks my PSA came back <0.10, which the doc says is virtually undetectable.
The coolest thing is that another great friend and AME, Dr. Alan Kozarsky, kept in touch throughout the process. As soon as I had my ?no limitations? letter from the urologist he started working with the FAA, and in 1 week I had my medical back. The Young Eagle rides I will be giving this week end at our Community Fly In will have special meaning to me.
And best of all, Carol and I are headed to LOE!!! We actually made our hotel reservations the same day the notice went up on VAF, and have been keeping out fingers crossed. It?s good to have a goal when you have to go through something like this.
For the guys out there, stay on top of your PSA. And if any of you need support or have questions, don?t hesitate to contact me.

Guess what's common between Dr.'s Chuck Hoyt, Jim Frank, and Alan Kozarsky? They are avid pilots and love flying as much as we do. These guys are the pinnacle of doctors for us pilots, and from what I understand they are role models in their own professions, too. I am humbled to have friends such as these.

Now, I?ve got some flying to catch up on!!!

Vic

Some more info....

By the way, there is a lot of info out there regarding the validity of our medical certificates once we are diagnosed with prostate cancer, and most of it appears to be wrong. I actually have a bone to pick with AOPA over this. As I was sitting at home recovering, I was reading the August issue of AOPA PILOT, and I couldn't believe the timing, as there was an article on prostate cancer written by a Doctor. Very clearly it was stated that we didn't need to do anything until our next physical, at which time we needed to take a certain set of documents with us. I called them to make certain I wasn't reading anything in to this, especially since this is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. Of course, I got a confirmation that I was right. But, Alan Kozarsky, ever the due diligent one, wasn't so sure, so he started trading eamils with the FAA medical gurus, all the way to the top. In the meantime, AOPA is still telling me that I don't need to do anything (3 phone calls!). Well it turns out, we are grounded for 6 weeks after the surgery, and then the FAA wants to recertify. Luckily, through Alan, this was pretty expediant.

Vic

Wonderful news, Vic!

...and thanks for the lesson.

If all my duckies fall in a row, I too, might make LOE. Plus, I have a coupla empty seats!

Best,

Vic, that is great news! Congratulations on getting your flying privileges back. I can vouch for the feeling that you really miss being pilot-in-command after surgery. I had heart surgery and had to wait a while to get my SI Class III approved.
Also, thanks for documenting your surgical method and your route to reinstate your medicate certificate.
Keep on flying!
Don Hull

I just discovered this thread, as I?m a VAF rookie (lurking since about July). Wow. Looks like pretty good company. I was diagnosed last November and had the DaVinci procedure done in February. Everything is going well so far. Two follow-up blood tests both showed ND, next one in Jan ?11. No ED and only had minor incontinence to deal with.

I heartily second everything that?s been said in the way of advice to those who may not be dialed in to the fact that this checkup thing is something they MUST do. The stats are absurd ? one in six men will develop prostate cancer. I was sure I wouldn?t be one of them, but listened to my doctor?s advice and did the PSA and the DRE (though I usually refer to it as DFG, i.e., Deadly Flying Glove). I was sure...and sure was wrong.

The first time you hear the word cancer coming at you, it?s like a punch in the solar plexus. But, it turns out a little knowledge makes a huge difference. I would like to recommend a book my urologist insisted I read. It?s ?Guide To Surviving Prostate Cancer? by Dr. Patrick Walsh (all major booksellers). It tells you everything, and I mean everything.

Among the recommendations Walsh gives, which I found to be especially valuable are:
? Thoroughly evaluate the optional courses of action pertinent to YOUR situation and cancer.
? Check the applicable options against the results statistics Walsh provides.
? Find the best doctors you can for each type of treatment you feel is indicated. They usually specialize in a particular procedure, and the best ones are those who perform them a lot, all the time, and have the most experience.
? Interview those doctors. Ask them straight up how many procedures they?ve done and what their results are, how often and how recent. They should have thorough follow up stats.

Don?t be shy or embarrassed. Talk to everyone you know about PC and you?ll find that you get a number of contacts with men who have been treated. It?s amazing how well that works. Talk to those guys. There?s a wealth of information (and referrals) to be had. I bit the bullet and sent out an ?all hands? email at work. I was flooded with responses and contact info for guys who?d been there. I learned a lot from them.

Obviously, I do not hesitate to bang the drum about PC. Catch it early and beat it. All of my friends and colleagues have been told in no uncertain terms that when I ask them what their PSA is, they?d better fire that number right back at me. Make ?em do pushups if they don?t. One of the guys I work with ? in his mid-forties ? came to me a few weeks ago and said he clocked in at 5.2, up from 3.6 since the last check. That?s in the yellow zone. He was a little scared of course, but the subsequent biopsy turned out to be clear.

My flying situation. I?ve been absent from aviation for a couple decades, and now am getting back to it. I have to go through the med cert process next (2nd class), and am at the point of taking the first step, so any and all advice from those who have done this already will be most welcome. I had thought to check in with AOPA?s medical services program. Anybody out there done that?

Oh yeah, did the RV builders workshop a few weeks ago, and I?ve just cracked opened the preview plans for a -9. Fully rarin? to go?I squash rivets in my dreams. Um?I?m new here?is that just a little too weird?

John H

a8301

I have been living with prostate cancer for 12 years. Last month I received a letter from FAA telling me special issuance is no longer necessary. They inclosed corrected third class med certificate and had me return my current cert. No further follow up reports will be required unless you experience adverse changes in medical status. (quote)

Bruce 9A

Call the AOPA. They will answer many questions. They indicated a waiver may be necessary and additional information. They also said that this a reportable issue, not a disqualifying issue if the cancer has been eliminated. The question may be the endurance of the pilot verses the range of the plane.

AOPA is wrong...

I called them 3 times as I mentioned above. They were telling me EXACTLY what I wanted to hear, but it was too good to be true, and sure enough, it was. In the final call I mentioned the email from Dr. Silberman (head of FAA aeromedical). It IS grounding for 6 weeks after the surgery and then you have to send them all of the documents (PSA test, diagnosis, pathology report, operative note, release letter from the doctor), and then they will issue the qualifying letter. They may issue a verbal approval as they did with my AME, followed up by the letter.
AOPA agreed they were wrong and are supposed to correct the information.

Vic

Back