What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Question

danboy

I've just started my fuel tanks and as I get more into it I'm wondering if there is a common place for leaks - an area to be extra diligent about. I'm also curious if there happens to be a leak in one of skin stiffener rivets how that is addressed with the tank all closed up. Thanks

Watch out for the front spar (the v-shaped piece perpendicular to the ribs), as I had a big leak that was tough to fix from inside. I actually tested them with water before installing the rear baffle and am glad I did. I had several rivets that leaked a few drops and was able to fix right away.

Once they are all sealed, there is a way to put a certain Loctite on a rivet and apply slight negative pressure. Search on here, been done many times before.

From what I read, the rear baffle tends to be a trouble spot, especially the corners. You have to apply sealant (Use plenty here) and then slide it into place, a bit of a tricky operation. My tanks are just fine though, after 90 hours of flying, showing that mere mortals can get the job done. Good luck,

Two Cans

I used one can of Proseal per tank. Doesn't mean it will never leak, but it made me feel better. As someone has said before, it you look at it and think it could leak, it will.

My tanks were leak free, but from all the previous posts the corners at the rear baffles are routine trouble areas. Just do it the way Van's says and don't be stingy with the Proseal and it should be okay.

The plans talk about not using an excessive amount of sealant while installing the rear baffle. Don't overreact to this guidance. You still need quite a bit of sealant when you lay down that final bead on the tank skins. I was overly cautious given the warning in the instructions, but later I felt like I really should have used more in that area. My only leak was on the baffle.

Back