What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cherry max rivet for aileron pushrods?

Bugsy

Well Known Member
Can I use a cherry max rivet on the steel aileron pushrods? The long aluminum rivets keep folding over and look like ****. Plan B would be to weld but now that I have the holes drilled id like to rivet. I have cherrymax of the right length.

I remember those being a pain, I ended up using one size shorter than the plans, it has been descussed here before, one mentioned that the long rivet will crush inside the wall a little making for a good set. It was not easy. Not sure about the cherrymax?

Thanks guys

Yep that worked. Trimmed a little off the rivet before driving and it looks much nicer

Which Rivets

Paul, are you talking about the AN470AD4-12 rivets? Just want to be sure I trim the right ones.

Yes

Yes the dash12. I inserted then into the drilled hole and then filled down about 2 mm.

Bonded

I glued my rod end fittings in. #40 pilot holes were drilled. The hollow part is filled with hardened glue, drilled to size then riveted. Makes setting rivets easier.

I did the same

I put job weld I. The hollow ends as well. I could tell the rivet was swelling inside. It has to make a stronger connection.

Back