What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bucking W-818 Pushrod Rivets

Stalldog

Well Known Member
I don't have a squeezer that will work for these -11 rivets, so if I put the rod in a vise can I buck them? Thought I'd ask before creating a problem.

Use the vise to squeeze them. Put your male set in a block and squeeze the whole mess in the vise. Use a smooth something for the mfg head so you don't get a "jaw print".

Hmmmmmm!

Use the vise to squeeze them. Put your male set in a block and squeeze the whole mess in the vise. Use a smooth something for the mfg head so you don't get a "jaw print".

Well, I sure hadn't thought about trying that. I'll give it a try on a test piece first to be sure I can keep everything square. Thanks, bud.

I'd get the right depth squeezer. These like to bend over.

Yeah, Derek, that's my backup plan. I'm using 11's instead of the 12's that are called out. I'll try some test squeezes with the vise first, but if it doesn't work I'll go ahead and order a hand squeezer with a 2" depth. Worse that can happen is I end up with another tool! Oh, darn!!! :D

Bucked...

I bucked the rivets on W-918 with no problem. Held the pushrod to my bench with a clamp. It was no big deal. Your milage may very.

Michael

Bucking

I found it pretty straight forward with a gun and bar ,you can "Stear " the rivet tail as you buck it . Try it , worst thing that could happen is you drill and try again . Not like it's a Monel Rivet .
Tom

My concern with bucking was probably more damage to the steel rod than anything else, but it sounds like several of you have done this without a problem. As long as I won't be putting a kink/bend in the rod I might go ahead and trying bucking. Thanks.

I riveted mine with no problems. Wasn't an issue for my installation. And I put the push/pull tube in a vice to hold it while I drove the rivets. I put the end of the tube that was getting the rivets as close to the vise as I could while still shooting them without interference. I did wrap the tube in a towel to keep my vice from cutting up the powder coat.

Last edited:
Hi Stalldog.
I clamped the pushrod in a vice and bucked the rivets with a gun, no problem. One thing I did was to drill the holes with a 1/8 inch drill instead of a size 30. This allowed the rivet to fit very tight in the hole and therefore very little expansion of the rivet shaft needed to start forming a rivet shophead. I also used a 4-11 rivet instead of a 12.
Regards
Arie

Thanks

Hi Stalldog.
I clamped the pushrod in a vice and bucked the rivets with a gun, no problem. One thing I did was to drill the holes with a 1/8 inch drill instead of a size 30. This allowed the rivet to fit very tight in the hole and therefore very little expansion of the rivet shaft needed to start forming a rivet shophead. I also used a 4-11 rivet instead of a 12.
Regards
Arie

I just set mine using this method. Perfect. Thanks for the tip.

Back