What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bicycles that would fit in RV-10?

rotoiti

Well Known Member
My current bike is long past its expiration date (it's almost 14 years old). I'd like to get a new, folding bike that I could toss in the baggage compartment (preferably 3 of those :) ). Is there such a bicycle? Is the baggage compartment opening on an RV-10 too small?

Bike Friday tikit

You might try the Bike Friday tikit. I don't know about the RV-10 baggage compartment, but I fit 2 tikits in the baggage compartment of a Cessna 172 with room to spare.

I suspect the baggage door is too small for any folding bike I've seen. OTOH if you take one rear seat out, you could load them thru the main door, one in the baggage area (maybe two) and two stacked in the missing passenger seat (details on tie downs to be worked out).
Or ditch your passenger! With rear seats removed I can easily put two full size bikes (I usually pull the front wheels) in thru the main cabin door.

Citizen Bike

I have the Gotham model.

These are probably the best value around in folding bikes. Great service too.

Quite a few at our airport and we enjoy impromptu fly outs to airports with restaurants too far to walk to. Great fun at Cedar Key.

Citizen Bike

Last edited:
Dahon D3

We fit a pair of Dahon D3s in the RV-7. There is an art to getting them in, but it is possible. To make it easier, we remove the foot pedals and attach a few pads of 3/4" neoprene to avoid scuffing and interference.

I suggest a trip to a store where you can try a few of them out and see how well they fold & ride.

AO

Same as Bob, we can get both of our road bikes in back. Someone on the list posted photos of mtn. bikes in back. A bikefriday will not fit through the baggage door, but will go through the door opening, then can be lifted over the back seats into the baggage area. We have tested several of the folding bikes over the years. If you want something that will give you a stable ride for many miles, I would go with the bikefriday. If you just want to ride a few miles, wont be going very fast, and don't need to climb any significant hills, you can get by with something cheaper than the friday. We just got a new folding tandem that will also fit in the back of the -10. A very cool 21 lb. bike, and almost as expensive as airplanes. I taught our frame builder about aviation monetary units during the build.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I'm currently awaiting my RV 10 kit, but I did have a question regarding hauling bikes in the back of a RV 10. Is the back seat cross brace structural. If not, could it be re-designed as a removable bracket so you would not have an obstruction (from the cross brace) in the back area.

I'm currently awaiting my RV 10 kit, but I did have a question regarding hauling bikes in the back of a RV 10. Is the back seat cross brace structural. If not, could it be re-designed as a removable bracket so you would not have an obstruction (from the cross brace) in the back area.

It's structural.

Re removable seat brace -I had this same thought 5-6 years ago, and asked Vans about it. Their short answer was 'no way, no how'. I was willing to pay their DER to look at the issue, but got nowhere. Why don't you try it and report back to us.:)

Jim Berry
RV-10

I have a Strida Evo for sale

I have a Strida Folding Bike for sale that will fit in the baggage compartment of a Ten with no problem. It is a single speed similar to the LT model. I will let it go for $400.00 plus shipping. Originally cost $800. Here is a website to take a look at this unique bike.
http://foldingbikela.com/strida-evo/

[email protected]

Last edited:
I have a Strida Folding Bike for sale that will fit in the baggage compartment of a Ten with no problem. It is a single speed similar to the LT model. I will let it go for $400.00 plus shipping. Originally cost $800. Here is a website to take a look at this unique bike.
http://foldingbikela.com/strida-evo/

[email protected]

Will it fit through the baggage door on a -10? It looks like a very cool bike! Where in FL are you located? I might come take a look at it. (Another excuse to go flying)

I figured it was a structural item, but never hurts to ask. As long as it's not a minute before a training class ends for the day!

Perhaps an alternative for a bike would be a Razor or In-line skates? Depends on whether you want to ride or get some exercise.
John

Dave,
I'm located at Hollywood North Perry airport in Hollywood ,FL. I originally purchased this bike to go in our RV6 but it is 2" too long to fit in the baggage compartment although I could put it in the right seat if I left the wife at home. (Not likely). Contact me at my email address and perhaps we can hook up. The bike is like new.

Fit through baggage door?

I too am interested in 1 (3 preferably but I know not likely) that will fit through the baggage door. Will the strida fit through the baggage door? More than one fit?

strida

What if you are tall? The design seems to have a flaw, the taller you are the closer you become to the fixed handlebars.

BikeFriday is an expensive choice. The internet is your friend--just do a little research and you'll come with lots of folding bike options. In fact, according to an article in this month's AOPA Pilot, there are over 100 folding bike manufactures worldwide. Here's three to prime the pump: Raleigh i8, Columbia 2P26S, & Montague X50.

Folding bike

I am a fan of a real bike. Take a look at sandsmachine.com

Tons of good old light cromo frame mtb bikes out there for almost nothing too serve as donor bikes.

What if you are tall? The design seems to have a flaw, the taller you are the closer you become to the fixed handlebars.

I have a friend who is 6'8" and a very strong cyclist. He rides a Friday and a Tuesday(tandem) as far, and about as fast as those on regular single bikes.

Jim Berry
RV-10

The Strida will fit through the baggage door as the handlebars fold easily. I am 6' tall and ride it with no problem. This is not saying that I would do a 20 mile ride but then I wouldn't do that with a regular bike either. I have taken it into a movie theater and stowed it against the seat next to me.

Thanks Woodmanrog.

Thanks Woodmanrog. Once through the door and situated, will one or two more fit?

Thanks again

I'm just guessing based on my memory of the RV10 baggage door. I THINK 2 Stridas would fit one on top of the other but I won't swear to it. I would have to have a 10 to try it. If you have a measurement of the opening, I can give you a better answer. Contact me by email. [email protected]

Novara Flyby

The Novara Flyby from REI is the best value I've found. $600, 7 speed internally geared hub. The most I've done was about 25 miles with my 30 lb daughter in a steering post mounted kid seat, and that was no problem. I'd guess its easily good for double that. I'm told it is made by Dahon, and it looks very similar to the D7HG, although I believe the frame material is different.

I'm in the research phase of my -10 build, but I have a Pacer which has a similar sized baggage door and slightly smaller baggage area. It is pretty easy to get in and out, I take the seat post all the way out instead of sliding it down, and toss it in after, that makes it easier. We have two Flyby's and I can't fit two in if they are in the standard folded configuration, however taking the wheels off is easy enough, and that makes a huge difference. I haven't actually put two in, I took the wheels off one of them and put it in, and there was plenty of room for 2, perhaps 3.

Brampton

I have a Brompton and 2 of these will fit in the back of an RV6. I use the bike for commuting and it rides really well. They are not cheap but they are very very good. If you buy one I would recommend the 6 speed model and if you live in a hilly area get it with the 12.5% reduction in gearing. The front C bag can hold quite a bit as I use this to carry my computer along with files etc. 20lbs in this bag is no problem. Another recommendation is to get the rear rack as this not only can be used to put things on but protects the rear mudguard when folded. Tyre pressure can make a big difference in speed and is best at 100psi. I average in nill wind conditions on the flat 15mph and if the tyres at 80psi 13mph. I have two other bikes that I use a normal road bike and a mountain bike but I prefer my Brompton to ride by a good margin. I would also recommend that you try one to get the right combination of fit as there are a few options to suit different sized riders.

As per usual that's my 2p worth
Rob

Hello guys,

could anybody please tell me the actual baggage door opening measurements.
I was very well educated on the rv-7 but now that is time to pull the plug our family needs are leading us towards the 10.
I have been looking for quite a while on the forum and online and I haven't been able to find the answer. I am sure somebody must have asked that already but I just haven't been able to find it.
I am also a Brompton user when I am home, and although not a cheap option I recommend it any day.
It would be nice to be able to fit it through the baggage door but I don't think it will.

Thanks

Marc

Dahon in the baggage

I have a Dahon Speed P8 and a Downtube FS9.

The Dahon fits through the baggage door. Have to keep the seat post loose so it can slide a bit wherever you want it when you fit it in through the door, but it fits well.

I haven't tried the Downtube through the baggage door yet, I have that in its bag (get the bag too if you buy the bike) and strapped in with the seat belts into the back seats.

The Dahon is a better built bike, but the Downtube with its full suspension is way more comfortable. Not going to go into the details but the seats are no fun, so those must go before you ever get on any of these bikes.
I just got 3G seats the other day and they are much much better. The seats with the springs in the back also make the suspensionless Dahon more comfortable.

That's great news, for what I can see the dahon Speed P8 is a little bigger folded than the Brompton. Now I have the perfect excuse to buy another Brompton "for my wife" :D
I would still love to have the measurements, just to have an idea of what can be fitted through the door.

Hi Rod,

The size of a Brompton is 585x545x270 lightest stock bike is 9.3kg. My research has lead me to believe the Brompton is the smallest fold. Bike Friday is worth looking at they have been very helpful.

I am working on the idea for an RV12 in NZ. I have made a cardboard box of the size to see if they will go in the back of the RV12. I can get two in.

Problem is the cost and the weight means I am limited to no luggage unless I lose some weight, and or remove some fuel.

In the six months my wife and I have flown all over NZ having lots of adventures but the problem is most airfields are 10 to 15Km away from where you are interested in going.

I have photos of a trail fit if anyone is interested.

Julian

Hello guys,

could anybody please tell me the actual baggage door opening measurements.
It would be nice to be able to fit it through the baggage door but I don't think it will.

Thanks

Marc

Sorry I don't have the measurements at hand, but we find it easier to load our standard road or mountain bikes through the passenger doors. Our S&S coupled tandem will fit also. Hope someone can give you the measurements.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Making the back brace removable....

still makes the most sense to me. I'm cutting mine and putting a brace at the far back this week. It will take very little to make a seat back brace that goes in and out with about six bolts in six minutes....

I bought my 10 as a flying truck so this is a big deal on the utility side. Of course Vans is going to say leave it alone as will any engineer on a CYA basis.

A look around the fuselage raises the question of why not? ESP with a brace at the back how much strength could you possibly be giving up?

still makes the most sense to me. I'm cutting mine and putting a brace at the far back this week. It will take very little to make a seat back brace that goes in and out with about six bolts in six minutes....

I bought my 10 as a flying truck so this is a big deal on the utility side. Of course Vans is going to say leave it alone as will any engineer on a CYA basis.

A look around the fuselage raises the question of why not? ESP with a brace at the back how much strength could you possibly be giving up?

I asked Vans about doing this 6-7 years ago. Their response suggested that this was one of the dumbest ideas they had ever heard of. The seat back brace is structural, and they strongly recommended I not screw with it.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Stock answer

To any mod from any company.....

Look at it from a more critical view. Putting same brace at back of compartment can't change that much.

DAR opinion?

Where is Walt?
I would think that this is a big enough modification that the FISDO will want you to go back to phase one for a few hours.
Walt?

I am a fan of a real bike. Take a look at sandsmachine.com

Tons of good old light cromo frame mtb bikes out there for almost nothing too serve as donor bikes.

I realize this is an old thread but are you saying MTB wheels fit in your RV6?

Thanks

I just saw this thread and owning both a Brommie and a Tikit I can say that the Brommie has the Tikit beat in small folded size and quality and comfort.

I've had my Tikit throw the chain several times but the Brommie has been trouble free.

To get the Brommie in our (now sold) Skyhawk was no problem. To get the Tikit in I had to remove the seat. The Brommie fits right in our -10. I haven't tried the Tikit.

I think the Brommie (with the M handlebars is more comfortable too. The Tikit makes my hands go numb.

-Marc

Hi, will the Brompton fit through the baggage door or do you need to stow it using the main door?

Though it is portable...it is not exactly light...I was considering whether it needs a padded bag? I have the normal unpadded one.

I am pleasantly surprised how good the Brompton is...had to watch the Youtube videos a few times, so as not to look a complete prat when trying to fold and unfold it.

Very convenient for the train and also a small car..VW Polo..

I've taken to regular mountain bikes in the back of my RV 10. They did have to be disassembled and went in through the cabin door. The baggage door is too small for a bike to fit through. The friend that went with me was a bike mechanic so I worked on tying down the aircraft and he worked on putting the bikes together. The time came out about the same. It works, its just clunky.

Dr Fred
515FW

The Brompton will not fit through the baggage door. I have two Bromptons with the padded bags that fit into the space where one rear seat is removed. The padded bag has roller wheels and shoulder straps like a piece of luggage.
Tom
RV10- 921BT

Back