What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-Splat Quest for Products

I was just about to suggest that. After seeing someone on this site do something similar, I modified an offset wrench to access these bolts. I would have gladly purchased a tool made specifically for this purpose.

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

Canopy Guides.

Just received my canopy guides by Larry Buller that I found on this thread. Works great and fits with NO issues. Thanks Larry!

3 words: Rudder pedal extensions.

With fixed seat back and fixed rudder pedal positions, not everyone fits the RV pilot mold. I am in the middle of having a set of custom rudder pedal extensions made right now.

?and maybe just the opposite

3 words: Rudder pedal extensions.

With fixed seat back and fixed rudder pedal positions, not everyone fits the RV pilot mold. I am in the middle of having a set of custom rudder pedal extensions made right now.

A new hangar mate has recently bought an older flying -6A and needs to move the rudder pedals forward rather than aft. He's having difficulty figuring how to precisely re-drill the hanger block locations, given the cramped quarters. Any possibility to create tools and/or fixtures that would facilitate the job?

Gas Tank - RV-12

I may catch He** from a few of my friends and acquaintances about this recommendation but here goes anyway - design and manufacture a 'replacement' fuel tank for the RV-12. This would be installed after certification as ELSA.

Rough design parameters follow.

I would like to see a 25 gallon tank made of heavier aluminum than currently used which would sit laterally in back of the seats. It should be heavy enough that sleeping bags, etc., could be place on top of it. I also like the Moeller sp? gauge on top and it should be visible while fueling. Use the current fuel sending device that is located in the front of the tank and is used to send info to the Dynon. Review and consider all of the fuel tank lessons learned as the RV-12 fleet has matured.

I think that a lot of guys and gals would be happy to pay you $500 for the tank that I described. Maybe sell plans for your design for $50? I'd like to build my own. Thanks for considering this suggestion.

Gear leg jack pad

How about a metal bracket for connecting a round gear leg with a jack.

I am imagining a ? shaped bracket which could be easily positioned on the round gear leg - anywhere along the leg - and when rotated upward it wedges in position allowing for a bottle jack or whatever jack you have to lift at the period portion of the question mark.
Such a device would be lightweight, inexpensive to manufacture, easy to carry onboard the plane, useful to all who have a round gear leg.

Head set bracket

A cool looking, easy to install, out of the way, headset hanger bracket would be nice. Maybe in the center under the panel, for holding both sets.

After seeing the picture on the original post I got my hopes up. How about a rack to carry a motorcycle on the back like they use on motorhomes. Not wanting to carry a Harley mind you, maybe just a mid sized BMW ;)
I think the landing gear jack attachment thing would be great too!

A front stick replacement for tandem RVs shaped like an inverted question mark ? With the bow forward. This will minimize interference of the stick with the pilot legs when full aileron deflection is required.

How about a really cool teardrop-shaped exterior latch for the canopy? The Van's-supplied one is decent, but I like the idea of one that's rounded and polished. (I could attempt to shape it myself, but I'm guessing the results would look less than professional!)

We will go to work on it!

After seeing the picture on the original post I got my hopes up. How about a rack to carry a motorcycle on the back like they use on motorhomes. Not wanting to carry a Harley mind you, maybe just a mid sized BMW ;)
I think the landing gear jack attachment thing would be great too!

... Something like this only for motorcycles?.:rolleyes:

Yes. I'm in on the bike rack. I already have nice bikes and don't want to shell out for the folding ones as there's no room left for anything else.

Alan... after hacking away at a refrigerator dolly... to scavenge parts for my short little wife to reach the pedals.... I am thinking that your thinking would undoubdtedly be prettier. Was that a convoluted sentence? YES.
At any rate, if the idea makes the list, let us know.
I will be first in line to buy a set.

A machined fuel tank sender/access plate and ring that uses controlled compression o-ring seals. (top-hat shape with o-ring in a groove around the cylinder).

Attach screws go into blind holes in the ring, so no sealing needed on those. Use drilled socket-head cap screws to secure the plate, and run a lock wire around the group to secure. Only sealing required would be for the ring that gets riveted on (like the fuel filler flange).

Or, something like that.

Steps

Alan -- before I install the poorly made steps from Vans on a 9A, I would really be keen to purchase some well designed and manufactured steps that were not prone to failure after a few months of flying.

Judging from the number of failures of the current faulty batch, it seems with some decent engineering, many people would benefit from your quality.

Wrench for A model spar nuts

It is very difficult to get a wrench on the nuts on the lower spar bolts on 7A & 9A models (maybe others also). The landing gear weldments get in the way.

A custom wrench that would hold all 4 nuts at one time would be a big time saver.

It is very difficult to get a wrench on the nuts on the lower spar bolts on 7A & 9A models (maybe others also). The landing gear weldments get in the way.

A custom wrench that would hold all 4 nuts at one time would be a big time saver.

Remove the "A" from the equation and problem solved :D

Alan -- before I install the poorly made steps from Vans on a 9A, I would really be keen to purchase some well designed and manufactured steps that were not prone to failure after a few months of flying.

Judging from the number of failures of the current faulty batch, it seems with some decent engineering, many people would benefit from your quality.

I will second this suggestion.

Back