What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Baffle ProSeal Batch Size

Stalldog

Well Known Member
I'm finally ready to install the rear baffles on both tanks. Before I mix too much or waste time by mixing too little, how much ProSeal have you used to install one baffle?

I just did one baffle this past saturday and used a total of about 250 grams but I'm also on my third quart of PPG 890 proseal :eek:. More is better right?!?!?!? If you have a proseal gun, It makes it much easier!!! I mixed two 100 gram cartridges & then mixed a 50 gram cup thinned 5% with toluene for "painting" all the contact surfaces of the baffle, back sides of the ribs & "twirling" the pop rivets in... It's not too bad if you lay it all out & have a game plan. I'm actually taking off work friday to close up my second tank. Good luck!!

I used about 100 grams for the baffle bead, the corners and the aft of the ribs.

I loaded a big 60cc seringue in 2 shots with the end opened up with a 5/32" drill bit.

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

This is the "pushed" bead viewed from inside.
IMG_1108.jpg

Happy sealing !!!

An excerpt from my build log when closing my first tank:

Starting with about 115 grams of mixed sealant, I laid down 3/16 beads just forward of the skin rivet holes, and just inside the end rib rivet holes. I laid the beads down with a 60 cc syringe from drugstore.com that comes with about a 5/32 nozzle. It took a couple of fillings of the syringe to get the beads down. Then, per instructons, I applied a thin layer of sealant around each rib hole before dropping the baffle in place.

Ready for the baffle:
FP02102012A0004Z.jpg

Good beads along the baffle:
FP02102012A00051.jpg

Thanks, fellas, pretty good variation on quantities, so guess I'll start out around 150 g mixed and see where that takes me. It's supposed to get cold again so it will help slow down the cure time in case I need to make more. Will be using a drugstore syringe which has worked well for me on the rest of the build.

Update

Well, I mixed 140 g white, 14 g black, and 2 g toluene. Ran out and had to mix another 70 g white, 7 g black, 1 g toluene to finish. I buttered the ends of the ribs and put a smear down along the rivet line before putting down the 3/16 bead, plus I thinly buttered the sides of the baffle and the flanges on the z brackets, so I did more than per the plans. To do the pop rivets and end rib 470 rivets, including shop heads, it took another 20 g white and 2 g black. The baffle rivets, including shop heads, took another 30 g white, 3 g black. All in all, I spent 10 hours assembling the baffle on the right tank. The wedge pop rivet tool posted elsewhere in VAF worked great. I cleco'd every hole -- no pillowing problem. I shot all the rivets, just seemed quicker for me and I wanted to drive the rivets into the c/sinks in the baffles. Even though I had deepened the c/sinks to get a good ring around the rivets before the ProSeal, I could have still gone another click or two. About 2/3 turned out flush, and the other 1/3 are a hair proud, but not very much. I've got a feeling dimpling would have provided a better place for ProSeal to seal, but it might have made pushing the baffle down more difficult.

I test fit the tank on the wing last night and everything seems to line up just fine. Tank does not appear to sit proud on the spar even though I thinly buttered every rib and z bracket flange.

Back