What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rollable Wing Jig

jtop

Has anyone ever built a wing jig with wheels?

It's about time for me to hang the wings back up and start skinnin em.

I bought some 3" casters and I was thinking about just building a simple frame then adding about 6' of width for stability.

I just dont really want to bolt it down to the floor because I have to travel for weeks at a time. It'd be nice to be able to get both my vehicles in while I'm gone.

-jt
RV-7A
Emp - done
Wings - SB - working, fuel tanks, ugh
Fuse - not there yet

I know its been done before. I remember seeing a post in the archives that doubled as a wing stand for construction then converted to a cradle for storage...all in one...looked pretty slick. I liked the design. Do a search for 'wing cradle'. Was kind of wondering if the concept worked well though if anyone has experience with this?

I used one

I guilt my wings on a rollable wing jig. Even though I didn't roll it! I had leveling bolts on it so I could take the weight off the wheels and get it plumb while building.

I'll have to look for the photos of it since I no longer have my website up. Give me your email and I'll send you some pics.

This is the jig I'm borrowing from BillC:

716908417_ZDFZT-M.jpg

Works great! I'm stuck building on one bay of a 3-car garage and the ability to move this from side to side is wonderful.

I ended up ditching the cross braces once the wings were on there with the skins attached. More room to work and plenty stiff. Very stable with both wings on the stand.

Lots more photos at the link in my signature.

Roll able wing jib

Yes I built a roll-able wing jig for construction, and then modified it and kept it roll-able for storage. I am glad I did. I'm building in a two car garage and need to roll it around. With the match hole technology the jig is merely a holding fixture for convience, not really a locating jig. Although I did level the bars that hold the spars.

I also have my fuselage fixture on rollers. You can see photos of both at www.mykitlog.com/sglynn

have fun

I did the same as Steve Lynn. Factory folks say you don't really need a jig for prepunched kits, but you need some way to support it.

3" casters should work well. I used 2" casters from Home Depot and they were lousy--wouldn't swivel worth beans. You need the locking kind for stability.

Back