What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pickling

mattsmith

Well Known Member
O.K. so i need some advice. I bought a lycoming IO 360 A1A that i got a good deal on. it has 0 SMO and I won't need it for some time and want to pickle the motor. I have been told the fool proof way is to plug the motor and fill it 100% with automotive oil. So my question is what do I need to do to plug it as far as the accessory case is concerned? I have Bendix mags for it but wanted to hold off pouting them on. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

for the reply, but what I need to know is do I need to plug the accessory case? I have read most of the posts the search pulls up but I have not found any that talk about the mags, prop governor, vacuum pump and every thing els back there. I want to be able to fill the case 100% with oil and be able to turn the motor upside down every once and a while. Thanks again for all the help.

Simple answer is you need to plug every hole... otherwise oil will come out of it.. however big or small that hole is.. There's nothing tricky about this..

Thanks

Rivethead, thanks for the reply. That looks like the way to go. I see the supply going through the oil cap but were is the return coming from? I Have one pound of dehydrator, what is Silica gel and did you just mix it with the dehydrator? This looks a lot easer and cheaper than buying the prop Governor and all the plugs and caps for the accessory case, at least until I need them.

Sport Aviation just had an article about the construcion of a nifty, automated air dryer that you build for around $100 or so. You might want to take a look at that.

Great Help Available

O.K. so i need some advice. I bought a lycoming IO 360 A1A that i got a good deal on. it has 0 SMO and I won't need it for some time and want to pickle the motor. I have been told the fool proof way is to plug the motor and fill it 100% with automotive oil. So my question is what do I need to do to plug it as far as the accessory case is concerned? I have Bendix mags for it but wanted to hold off pouting them on. any help would be appreciated.

I have had GREAT experience with Lycoming in PA to answer all of those questions. I believe their website has all their reprints available for download.

follow up

Someone started another thread about letting every one know how they solved the question they had that started the thread so here is what I ended up doing. I was dead set on plugging the motor, filling it with oil and rolling it every couple of mounts and then Rivet head showed me the home made dehydrator he made and I went with it instead. Here is why. I wont have to buy all the accessory's for the motor until I get closer to that point in the build, when I am doing the FF stuff I wont have to worry about corrosion and rust ( when I wont be able to roll the motor), I wont have to worry about oil drips and I didn't like the idea of rolling the motor after I modified a car engine stand to hang the lycoming on, I could just see something going really bad. All of this is probably over kill but it toke about 1.5 hours to do and cost about $45.00 in parts so its pretty cheap insurance- I think the motor oil would have cost more.Thanks again for every one replies.

Marine stores and some auto stores sell spray cans of an engine preserving oil. Just spray it in the cylinders once a month or so. I do that along with the preserving plugs. I will report in a few more months how it all works! I think the air dryer system is the way to go if you don't want to fill the entire engine with oil and all.

Lycoming told me to fill it with auto oil--an O-320. I did that and it took 7 gallons. Was told by local experienced folks that oil would leak out, and it does; I have probably lost a gallon in the last 1.5 years.

Given that you live in Reno with it's dry climate, I think you did the right thing, but who am I to know?

Back