What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Please comment on this panel layout photo

dsmithlib

After a six month layoff, I am ready to return to building. I am posting a photo of my panel mock up hoping to get some feedback. Please click away to get a larger view of it via ImageShack.

I started on the left with an ADI-II that I wanted nearby in case of EFIS failure. That helped me determine where to relocate the panel support (vertical masking tape).

Then, to the left of the mapbox, I marked off squares for four 2-1/4" instruments. (alt, air, compass, unspecified) This placement is the primary reason for getting feedback, I have not seen this configuration before. Any concerns for a guy who will be generally avoiding IFR.

I am especially interested in any info on using or locating the right 2-1/4" instruments.

I can put the Grand Rapids EIS under these backup instruments.

Working to the left, I placed the radio stack.

I think I can place all of my switches without a subpanel.

The result was a pretty generous space for my EFIS panel allowing me to get my panel started and make my final decision on EFIS at Sun n Fun. Although the Dynon is taped on the panel, a Grand Rapids or Advanced is planned.

Any feedback is appreciated - Thanks !!
Dave

PS: I am interested in getting some economical help to build the panel in the NW Chicago suburbs if anyone is nearby. But, after the long winter I would like to stay involved in it here locally. (as opposed to a turnkey panel)

What about....

Oil temp, oil press, fuel gauges, etc? Or will those all be covered with the EFIS, EIS?

Presuming you have all the requisite info in your panel, my comments:

the 4-pack instruments look pretty close together - you might look hard at this and whether it will be a PITA to install them that close. An extra 1/4 or 1/2 inch between would give you more "finger room" for putting these in and out.

same for the radio stack and EIS. You will have to fabricate your own support rack for the radios, and I suspect that there will be some interference between that support stack and the mounting bracket for the EIS - anyway, something to look at before you commit to cutting the panel.

I put my mapbox in a similar location, but lower. looks like you have space to do so, and if you need to add switches etc., they might work better above the mapbox rather than below it (I have a couple switches and a camera control above my box)

your ELT might also be a bit close to the angle backing on the panel - obviously something easily adjusted when you get to putting it in.

in general, looks like a nice functional panel

cheers,
greg

Panel layout process

It's a start... that's how I started... cut and paste. But as you get to the "devil in the details", I found it extremely cumbersome. I used www.xpanelsoftware.com panel layout and it made a huge difference in getting my arms around different layouts. I'd make layouts, print it full size, put it on my panel blank and sit in the airplane and do the reach and touch test. Then I'd change things and do it again and again.

Working with the XPanel, he sent me a version that made it possible to print a full size engineering cutout drawing.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=n539rv&project=161&category=3987&log=63702&row=28

You can see my panel development process at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerv9a/InstrumentPanel#

It's a tedious process... took me months before I was ready to cut metal. But I think you'll find working with panel layout software to be a big help in making those decisions and really putting in all the details you need.

Good luck and have "fun"!!!!
Mike

Steam gauges...

I was going steam gauges.... but the beauty of the panel planning software is that it gives you the hardware cost of the panels you layout. An all steam gauge panel was visually VERY BUSY!! With ALL things considered, the price differential of my as-built glass panel is only 15% more than steam gauges. Frankly, I was shocked... so going glass became a "no brainer". BUT... there are a LOT more wires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glass certainly is more complicated to install.... but so far it's been a great learning experience.... and that's what this is all about.

Back