What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Did I just Crack my Canopy or am I paranoid?

dsmithlib

I have just finished the 'big cut' on my RV7 tipup. I thought all went well and then I began lifting the tape.

On the front canopy.....about 1/2" in from the big cut is what I first thought was a scratch. It seems to run parallel to the big cut intermitently from the bottom to nearly the top.

With a bright light it appears to be a shiny hairline imperfection, not a crack running all the way through.

I can feel the imperfection on the surface but, it does not appear to go all the way through. I am no expert (however, if I have to spend another $800 on a canopy I will be an expert).....but, I am not completely convinced it is a crack.

The location leaves in a place where it just lays on the rollbar. Any suggestions?

Can you just cut off 3/4" of an inch and slide the whole canopy back?

Any advice or words of comfort appreciated.
Dave

Assuming this is just (at least right now) a surface scratch, and given that it will be sitting over the roll bar anyway, it might be worthwhile to sand/dress out the scratch so that it doesn't propagate. It would only be visible when the canopy is open and, even then, many builders have fashioned a metal strip that goes over the entire canopy at the front bow. Good luck.

Back