What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet squeezing problem

pt17

I have just started to rivet VS (first riveting experience). I am using the Avery rivet squeezer with 1/8 set for AN470 rivets. When I set the rivet the die leaves a slight "halo" around the base of the manufactered head. I have tried the modified set and I have tried the hand squeezers and all the rivets are left with this "slight" marking. Is this normal? It seems strange that both the normal and modified set leave the same mark. Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to do any more rivets until this is sorted out.
Perhaps this is common with Avery rivet sets?

Are you sure that you are trying to set 1/8 rivets, or are you setting 3/32 rivets with a 1/8 set?

a picture is worth a 1000 words

pt17 said:
I have just started to rivet VS (first riveting experience). I am using the Avery rivet squeezer with 1/8 set for AN470 rivets. When I set the rivet the die leaves a slight "halo" around the base of the manufactered head. I have tried the modified set and I have tried the hand squeezers and all the rivets are left with this "slight" marking. Is this normal? It seems strange that both the normal and modified set leave the same mark. Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to do any more rivets until this is sorted out.
Perhaps this is common with Avery rivet sets?
a pic will help greatly.....is the shop head the correct dimension when driven?

I had the same problem with the avery 4 die. I had the plesure of discovering this working 50ft off the ground under a G-IV vertical stab leading edge. :mad: I bought new dies from the yard. The slight halo will have no structural effect on the rivet, however I understand you wanting your project to be its best. I took the rivets out and put new ones in.

I have just purchased an RV7 project at the finishing kit stage. While most of the sheet metal work is done, I don't want to mess up a thing. I just ordered the Avery kit to get started and would like to know if returning their squeezer for something different would be recommended.

Are you sure you are using the correct size set. Also are you keeping the set "square" to the rivet. I've used an Avery squeezer during my whole poject and haven't experienced these problems. Now hammered rivets - there is a whole other set of probelms!!!!
Jim Sharkey

dsmithlib said:
I have just purchased an RV7 project at the finishing kit stage. While most of the sheet metal work is done, I don't want to mess up a thing. I just ordered the Avery kit to get started and would like to know if returning their squeezer for something different would be recommended.

My Avery pneumatic squeezer is the best tool I own. I would not trade it in and have not had any problems with the rivets set on my plane.

When you can reach a line of rivets (or dimples) with the squeezer, the result are wonderful. As mentioned above, be sure to keep the unit as square as possible. This should help with the quality of the rivets.

My problem wasn't the squeezers but with the die. I thought I had put a 3 die in by mistake at first. I triple checked and yep it's the 4. It left a perfect ring around the bottom of the head like it just kissed the anodizing off. Tried it down on the bench. Same thing. Replaced the rivet and replaced die with a different one and I was back cruisin. :cool:

Back