What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACK battery replacement

kaweeka

Well Known Member
This one crept up on me. I ordered an ACK E04 ELT from Aircraft Spruce 12/2018 and installed it 02/2019. The battery expired 02/2021. I contacted ACK and asked them how long these units sit prior to shipment as I understand they are a 5 year battery at a minimum. They said they ship them out within 1 week of manufacture, which means it sat on the shelf at Aircraft Spruce nearly 3 years before shipping out to me. I asked ACS if they would pro rate a new battery and I'm waiting on their reply. I'm writing this to remind anyone to double check the expiration date and insist ACS send you one that has near full life still left rather then a fraction thereof. Hopefully ACS will step up on this one. I should have paid closer attention, however.

Last edited:
Excellent post documenting a very real (and costly) technicality.

When ordering from ACS it is wise to state that you will only accept an ELT or ELT battery if it has almost all of its battery life remaining. For example, most Kannad batteries arrive at ACS with 59 months remaining. I will only accept a unit from ACS if it has 58 or more months remaining. Turnover on these products is high - there's no need to accept any excuses from ACS on this point - it's just business in bad faith on their part if they don't make you whole.

Different subject, same issue: aluminum oxygen tanks need to be pressure tested every 5 years. I've seen some for sale with 30% of that 'lifetime' already gone. And some on the internet that are 'expired'. Buyer beware.

Different subject, same issue: aluminum oxygen tanks need to be pressure tested every 5 years. I've seen some for sale with 30% of that 'lifetime' already gone. And some on the internet that are 'expired'. Buyer beware.
Fill your own bottles and no more issues :)

Fill your own bottles and no more issues :)

Don't know if I would go out on that limb with you Walt.... :rolleyes:

I do agree that you need to be careful buying from ACS. I bought an Odyssey 925 battery from ACS Corona and the date code indicated it was 1 year old when I bought it! Next time I'll use Battery Mart.

-Marc

I installed an ACK E04 ELT two years ago I purchased from ACS and noticed the same thing. Unfortunately I did nothing about it then and am now facing the same issue. Please post if ACS is willing to help with the issue - they should - but like Ron B said, I’ll be surprised.

Frankly I’m now unlikely to order anything with a life limited expiration date from ACS.

This breakfast sucks. I'm going to eat it and in 2.5 years ask for my money back.

I would like to purchase that unopened bottle of Johnny Walker Blue for $169 please. Opens it a year later for a special occasion, only to realize it was half empty.

I would like to purchase that unopened bottle of Johnny Walker Blue for $169 please. Opens it a year later for a special occasion, only to realize it was half empty.

You’re catching on, aside from the part where he opened it, installed it, and logged it and upon its expiry is no longer good enough.

They still have to be *pressure tested* every 5 years, no matter how they're filled.

Yep, the cylinder re-test requirement is a Department Of Transportion requirement, which very much applies to cylinders being carried aboard aircraft! Of course this doesn't have much to do with ELT batteries ;)

Skylor

Last edited:
Looks like ACK replacement batteries are it short supply. I called ACS yesterday to ask if they could advise of the dates on their supply. They advised they had previously been on backorder and just received 5 in so they’ll have a recent Mfg date. Great. I planned on driving and picking it up along with some hardware needed for my CI.
Entering the order on their website last nite and it stated 0 ON HAND. I called this morning and those 5 were bought by 1 customer. No drive to ACS this morning. Looked on the Big A and gee, they have 8 of em. $20 more. Looks like someone may be making a few bucks data mining aviation parts ?? O well, need it now not later.

Back