What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

installation of Van's electric fuel primer solenoid and tubing

KazooRV-9A

Well Known Member
Patron
I have searched for quite awhile and have not found many pictures of installations of this primer system.
Can builders supply some pictures of the primer installs? (Most posts that I've found, have links to pix that are no longer active)
- I've seen one picture of a solenoid mount to the firewall next to the Gascolator. Seems like a good location. I've read posts that say they have mounted to an adjacent engine mount bar.
- Then there's various methods of connection from the solenoid to the Gascolator. Copper vs. SS hardline, flex hose.
- Have not found any good pix of line runs from the solenoid to the cylinder head ports. There's discussions of running the lines along the sump, or attached to the inlet runners. And some discussion on running lines on top of the engine. I have the copper tubing that came with the Van's kit.
- I've seen discussions on how many cylinders to run the lines to. Ranging from 1 to 4. I'm using the #3 lower port currently, as the sensing port for the MAP sensor.
- Is there any Van's installation instructions, other than the very limited paper that's in the solenoid box? Is there any guidance from Van's on the installation of the system?

I would appreciate any installation pictures that builders may provide. PM me for my email address if you might have pictures you could provide. They'd be worth 1000 words!

Thank you,
AC

What I did

I have that set-up on my -4. For me, I used all copper tubing "old school", and ran lines to 3 cylinders (4th has a MP fitting). I ran a line from the gascolator top fitting over to the primer solenoid which is mounted behand the L/H cylinders. The line then runs forward, with a 3 wrap coil for movement, and I have a T fitting to get a line to the R/H side. I used plenty of Adel supports for the install. I have attached a picture I have on file, but could do more detailed if needed..I think it shows enough. You can barely see the little solenoid held in place by to grey Adels. The system is only pressurized when the boost pump is on. I love the set-up, and it works great. My momentary pushbutton is just forward of the throttle on the panel.

Attachments

• O320 left side.jpg
    O320 left side.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 357
Great photo. I like the idea of running the copper line along the cylinders, rather than along the sump, as seems to be the case with other builders. (My alternator and starter wires are already run along the sump). I see the solenoid, interesting location and use of adels to hold it.

Thank you!
AC

Thanks for the pic Bill, what connector did you use on the copper tube to the engine?

Soldered primer line end

Bob, I used the soldered primer line end and soldered them on to my tubing with high temp solder. I think I bought them from Spruce years ago.They mate up with the threaded in nozzle installed on the cylinder. Some folks just use the compression fitting set-up, but I see them break at the furl more often than the solder type.

Question on the solenoid valve wiring. There are 2 wires on the solenoid, does it matter which one is positive, and which one is negative (ground).
I'm guessing not, but sometimes when I don't ask.....

Tnx,
AC

Back