What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Accessory Pad Gasket Oiling

DavePlaneGrips

Well Known Member
Before I torque everything down just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right. I usually spread a little oil on gaskets before installing them, as a general practice. The ones I've removed seemed dry in some cases so now I'm not sure. I'm also not sure about using my permatex gasket sealer on these like some suggest, that seems like it would make a fine mess you'd have to clean off to replace gaskets in the future. This is for my vacuum drive gear assembly and spline driven alternator.

What say folks here? Is oiling them sufficient, or necessary?

Just me

I figure the only time it is coming off is if it is leaking or weeping oil. So i put mine on with permatex #2 per the B&C instructions. The old gasket will need to be scraped off if it ever comes apart. But I never plan to take it apart.

Ok I have some permatex #2 on hand.

Say a guy already oiled said gaskets, shouldn't be an issue right?

Need to ask a chemist, but I would toss them. They are designed to be resistant to oil, but not sure they ever envisioned that the entire gasket would be coated with oil. I would be a bit concerned about long term reliability, but have nothing to base that on. I have seen some rubber products that break down much faster when they have an oil coating on them and many gaskets are a composite of rubber/paper fiber.

Larry

Last edited:
Just me

If the gaskets are not a pressure application, i would just whip the oil off with a paper towel and acetone, and then if the are in good shape, use the permatex #2.. we did this all the time with race car stuff and the permatex did not have a problem sealing modern gaskets with oil on them. I am speaking this time not as an A&P mechanic, just as a hobbiest. So considered what you paid for the advice.

Back