What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak Digiflight 2 display repair?

Mr Nipper

Hi Guys n Gals.
I have a Trutrak Digiflight 2 FP that the display is failing on......I understand that this is a common problem.
Has anyone had this done as a "post warranty" repair free of charge?
Who are you using for repairs to Digiflight equipment.
Thanks
Neil

Neil- I talked to MidContinent Instruments & Avionics located in Wichita, Kansas last week. Ask for Bruce, as he is the TruTrak expert. I was told, if you have the blue screen, the repair cost is not so much. If you have the other screen the repair cost is almost the cost of a new unit.
The blue screen unit will have part #8000-164.
Hope this helps.

Hi Jim,
Yes, you are quite right. Just got off of the phone with Bruce......$765 for a new unit....$800+ to repair the old one. Bummer.
I am going to take the lid off of this one and see whats inside!
Neil

Well I doubt Trutrak make their own displays, but a search on the www with the numbers that are on the back of the screen have not turned up anything.
CL-107-3002-01
W020060704-01-060811
PO-20060616001

Does anyone have a unit that has a good display but has another problem they wish to sell?

Advanced Flight Systems (Rob Hickman) sold an autopilot with their label that was a TruTrak Digiflight II. Maybe you'd find a new display somewhere for sale with a different label. Calling Advanced Flight might be helpful.

Attachments

• afs ap.PNG
    afs ap.PNG
    294 KB · Views: 192
AFS tends to be very responsive to emails, but I’ve found that my most productive discussions with them were over the phone. Rob, Jonathon, or Shawn are surprisingly accessible.

have found display, compatible !

I've found a display that is protocol compatible, and is physically compatible .
The hole centres are correct but the new display is about 4mm thick rather than about 8mm (old) and so goes ahead the bezel rather than on spacers- nothing to change there :)
It's a good looking display, and transreflective (also visible direct sun) .
MFR # is NMTG-S12232CFYHSGY-10 and AVBL from Mouser. USD$16
Took a couple of displays substituted to get it working, since it was easier to swap displays than hook up a logic analyser ....
You must DISCONNECT pin one from the display (chop wire at display PCB cable end ) because the backlight control works differently. It's very readible in the sun- that's because it is transreflective. .
More info at : https://www.vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1723414&postcount=12

-glen (pilot, also electronics engineer) (yes, I do this for a living) airplanes- Piper, Jabiru, Thruster.

Last edited:
I've found a display that is protocol compatible, and is physically compatible (mostly) .

MFR # is NMTG-S12232CFYHSGY-10 and AVBL from Mouser. USD$16

-glen
(pilot, also electronics engineer)
(yes, I do this for a living)
airplanes- Piper, Jabiru, Thruster.

So is this a replacement for the "blue screen" or the "other screen"?

Hi Jim,
Yes, you are quite right. Just got off of the phone with Bruce......$765 for a new unit....$800+ to repair the old one. Bummer.
I am going to take the lid off of this one and see whats inside!
Neil

Bit of a thread drift but getting TruTrak autopilots repaired is becoming something of a problem. I sold my Gemini (xCruz 110) but the buyer experienced a roll axis issue, contacted mid-continent and the first response was that they are discontinued (not true according to Andrew) and not repairable due to supply chain issues. Second response to another potential buyer was a remanufactured core replacement for $1600 :eek: New head used to be about $2K.
A new TruTrak/Bendix Vizion head costs about $1K which is a drop in replacement but you lose the ADI element. I have had multiple inquiries about the Gemini from ADI II owners but cannot get it evaluated/repaired in order to sell.
Figs

It seems like you can't get anything out of BK/Trutrak. I have three guys wanting me to put Aerocruze AP's in their certified airplanes and cant get one in hand.

So is this a replacement for the "blue screen" or the "other screen"?

This was a screen that was green, however, it looks like this may have already been a replacement, as the new screen looks a better fit in the front panel that the old one.

This display - It fits perfectly in the bezel, just swap the order of the spacers ! so- | screw - flat washer - plastic standoff - display - front panel.
The backlight in this display is on moderately all the time-
You must DISCONNECT pin one from the display (chop wire at display PCB cable end ) because the backlight control works differently. It's very readible in the sun- that's because it is transreflective. .

There are about 4 different protocols for display communication, but for the general set of commands , they are all pretty much the same.

My guess is, but I cant be sure, that this display would also be compatible with the original blue display-
Tell me - does the BLUE display have 16 connections, with 50 thou pin spacing ? (1.27mm ). Physical compatibility is important... If someone has a blue display they can send me a picture of....

Last edited:
unable to get my BK aerocruze 100 to go into setup mode

I had to replace my old trutrak due to the loss of the display.
I have the install instructions from mid continent. And have tried to power up the unit to set the defaults, I am unable to get it to boot up and show the software version,or go into the setup mode.
Has anyone had this problem?

Back