What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Stickum

330Jock

Well Known Member
OK, what are you guys using to glue the little squares for zip ties for hoses or wires inside of aircraft? And, do you need to sand down to raw aluminum to make it stick?
Thanks

3M

Just get the commercially available ones with 3 M adhesive back ...never had one pull off ....or buy 3 M emblem tape at auto parts store and make your own . Clean with Alcohol ......stick on over primer

Pro Seal or urethane adhesive - but scuff and clean with denatured alcohol. I would put 5+ into a small yogurt cup cover (all sitting on the bottom) with lighter fluid and cap. They would be clear of adhesive the next day.

edit: where possible I did the center-hole-pull-rivet method as the build progressed as it is a pita to pro seal them.

Last edited:
I sand and clean the plastic after removing the provided tape. Then use 3M VHB or similar high strength tape. Has worked very well so far.

Larry

I have used Shoe Goo in the past and don't ever recall having one of those pop off (unlike the ones with foam tape - I consider those temporary....). But my current favorite stuff is ClickBond adhesive - it is a two-part concoction that is used in military and commercial aircraft and just doesn’t fail. I like it better than Shoe Goo because it cures in about twenty minutes.

Paul

You can purchase the ones that do not have the adhesive on the bottom.
I like to:
Rough up the bottom of the squares on a piece of sand paper.
Rough up the spot where you are planning to put it with a piece of sandpaper.
Clean both with alcohol.
Attach with some 5 min epoxy. (I use either the clear Gorilla stuff or JB WEld)

I typically put a tie wrap in the slot, not zipped, as a handle and to keep the epoxy from getting in the slots when installing.

On one plane I was working on, the builder bonded them to the airframe, but didn't remove the adhesive and covering. Just bonded the paper to the aluminum and they all came loose in the heat. Right idea, bad execution. A gooey mess!

There is a "heavy duty" thick, white, double-sided tape for hanging pictures etc that works well. The backing tape is red as opposed to the white backing tape for the "regular strength" tape. The clear tape didn't seem to work as well and it's the devils work to get the clear backing tape off of it. The fittings like you describe that I have used it on have stayed stuck. WalMart, I believe. Scrape the old stuff off and put this on, cut to size.

Loctite makes a clear adhesive called Power Grab that STICKS things. The wiring, including the power cables and GPS antennae cable that comes from the aft area of the fuselage, has been stuck in place along the underside of the stringers with something similar and, changing the antennae cable recently, had to work hard to PRY it off of the stringer and curved underside of the bulkhead. I put it where I did not want to diminish the strength of the stringer by drilling holes and all aft of the baggage compartment, not in the cockpit. The Locktite stuff sticks NOW and cures in 24 hours. Be prepared to work on it if you have to relocate the cables you use it on.

ClickBond is wicked strong as well. Especially if the part is never going to move.......!

Last edited:
Another Vote For Clickbond

I also have used the Clickbond cable tie mounts and Clickbond two part methyl methacrylate adhesive, with good results, on both RV fiberglass and aluminum parts.

They are more expensive than consumer level products, but are used in the aerospace industry and are designed to not come loose once bonded to a properly prepared surface. The product instructions say to prepare the surface by scuffing and wiping with alcohol or equivalent solvent.

Attachments

• DSCN0318.jpg
    DSCN0318.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 192
Between 30 and 40-years ago, we were using Loctite Depend to glue down aluminum tie anchors to aluminum. Typically scuff with sandpaper and clean with alcohol and they were extremely strong. Loctite Depend is on the expensive side but hard to beat strength wise.

Last edited:
I''ve been using a rim of two-part epoxy around the edge of the squares and make sure the sticky part itself is 3M adhesive. It runs between 15F and 30F in my hangar these days so I need something that will set up in cold temps.

One solution that I used but hasn't been mentioned yet is using the clips that come with a center countersunk hole. I mount the clip with the included tape, and then drill the hole and use a pulled flat head rivet to be sure it stays in place. So far these have held solidly.

OK, what are you guys using to glue the little squares for zip ties for hoses or wires inside of aircraft? And, do you need to sand down to raw aluminum to make it stick?
Thanks

MS35206 Pan Head Phillips Machine Screws + Tyton Cable Tie Anchor Mounts
I guess I am influenced by my day job where stick-on wire attachments are forbidden.
No sanding required to make it stick, just a locknut.

plain cheap zip tie mount bonded with shoe goo will never come off either.

my plan cheap zip mounts are bonded with goop. some are hanging upside down carrying a static line. I haven't lost one. some have been exposed to fuel in the tunnel when inspecting my fuel strainer.

Last edited:
Back