What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avoiding leftovers after canopy cleaning

smithflys23

Well Known Member
I’ve been using microfiber towels and Plexus to clean my canopy. The microfiber towels seem to leave some lint behind. What alternatives to microfiber towels are you using?

I’ve been using microfiber towels and Plexus to clean my canopy. The microfiber towels seem to leave some lint behind. What alternatives to microfiber towels are you using?

Old 100% cotton flannel pajamas?

I have the same issue with the automotive yellow 100% cotton - lint. And I really use old PJ's with the seams cut out as they have polyester thread.

I just cut up old cotton T shirts which have been washed. I used to use Plexus and now use Aero Wash/Wax All. T shirts work fine for both.

T-shirts

I just cut up old cotton T shirts which have been washed. I used to use Plexus and now use Aero Wash/Wax All. T shirts work fine for both.

I've used T-shirts on plastic for too many years. Cut the seams out and use the rest. No silk screens or iron on transfers. Plain old white t-shirt.
Baby diapers are awesome if you can find them.

It sounds like the consensus (thus far) is to use old T shirts.

What about a chamois? I'm not sure how that would work with a chemical like Plexus.

In all the years I've been detailing my cars, I've been very particular about microfiber. Korean-made only, no labels, no sewn edges. Absolutely nothing that comes from the big-box stores, or automotive chains. I get good towels and am very careful about washing them. I've never seen lint to be an issue, and lint would show up very well on a black or dark car. If lint is an issue, consider waffle weave.

The best microfiber towels at the best price come from The Rag Company.

Rag company

In all the years I've been detailing my cars, I've been very particular about microfiber. Korean-made only, no labels, no sewn edges. Absolutely nothing that comes from the big-box stores, or automotive chains. I get good towels and am very careful about washing them. I've never seen lint to be an issue, and lint would show up very well on a black or dark car. If lint is an issue, consider waffle weave.

I just buy packs of Costco microfiber cloths when I visit the US - they seem to be pretty good quality. Single use on the paint or the canopy, after washing they are used as "standard" rags.

I'm always impressed by the innovation of people - I would never have guessed that a specialty site for cleaning cloths and other materials would work. Also, didn't know that the Koreans are the top producer of quality microfiber. Thanks for that!

I was wondering if the quality of the microfiber was an issue. Thanks!

I just buy packs of Costco microfiber cloths when I visit the US - they seem to be pretty good quality. Single use on the paint or the canopy, after washing they are used as "standard" rags.

I'm always impressed by the innovation of people - I would never have guessed that a specialty site for cleaning cloths and other materials would work. Also, didn't know that the Koreans are the top producer of quality microfiber. Thanks for that!

Heh heh...microfiber cloths are just the tip of the iceberg. You should see the dizzying array of cleaning, polishing, and waxing chemicals available at sites like Adam's Polishes, Autogeek, Chemical Guys. The Rag Company has branched out into that arena too, instead of just microfiber. Automotive detailing has become an entire sub-culture of automobile maintenance. I haven't yet taken a clay bar nor my Flex polisher to the hangar. So far, I've been able to resist, but I do de-bug and wax the plane a lot, and I confess that I have taken my trusty old Porter-Cable to the canopy with the Novus polishing kit. Does a great job on water spots, bugs and micro-scratches and swirling.

Back