What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming IO-360 A1B6 bendix/pmag performance

animal145

Hello all!

I'm thinking about swapping my dual p-mag setup for a set of good old fashioned bendix mags.

I would like to know what kind of experience you are having with them.

What are your cruise performance/power setting/fuel numbers/knots at peak/rich/lean egt?

I have a rv 8a.

also if you happen to be reading and have a io-360 A1B6 (20 bdc enigine) where have you timed your pmags?

thank you all in advance for your time!

thanks!
alex

i've chased the rabbit far enough. great guys at emag. great customer service. i'm just ready to jump off the experiemental train and go with standard stuff that nearly any mechanic in the country is familiar with.

I just want to run the Lycoming with what is was born with.

where have you timed your pmags?

If using the jumper between pins 2 and 3, you should be timing the engine at 2.5 teeth after TDC. If timed at TDC, you'll be running 26.6° advance and max advance will be higher too. Performance not be good, either.

I like timing with the computer using V4 of the EMag software. Much more control over the setup.

PM me for more info/options, if you want.

Thanks Ray,
Thats about where i have mine set. Thank you very much for your offer to help! I still have plenty to learn.

Alex,

For your engine, time the pMags to reflect standard mag timing, 20 degrees BTDC. To do this follow the simple pMag timing process but set the timing with the crank at 5 degrees ATDC, not TDC.

Run with jumper in - your timing range will be 20 degrees at high power (high manifold pressure) and not exceed 29 degrees at high RPM but low manifold pressure (as in high altitude). The objective in both cases is to achieve peak cylinder pressure at ~15 degrees ATDC. At higher altitude, and earlier spark is needed to start the leaner mixture burn - so the peak stays at 15 degrees ATDC.

No clue why you would want to go back to mags. 1000+ hours on dual pMags and they have been flawless. Recently installed the new six cylinder pMag on my old RV-10 and it provided a significant improvement in cruise efficiency.

Carl

Back