What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Constant Speed Balancing Service

Vansconvert

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a recommendation on someone in the Milwaukee area to balance my Hartzell constant Speed with a Dynavibe setup.

I'm looking for a recommendation on someone in the Milwaukee area to balance my Hartzell constant Speed with a Dynavibe setup.

Most "professionals" use equipment that is better than the Dynavibe, so you may not want to limit yourself.

Most "professionals" use equipment that is better than the Dynavibe, so you may not want to limit yourself.

Can you elaborate on this? Which system is best? Which systems are just better and why? Do you have experience with The DV models? How about Aces systems?
Which system do you use?

prop balancers

RPX does make a more expensive balancer than the classic and I do agree that most professionals would not use the dynavibe classic. If you are going to pay for a professional balance, they can tell you a lot more about your setup. They can give you a larger bandwidth of vibration. As an example,I observed a pro balancing the other day and he mentioned the alternator probably being out of balance. Sure enough, I looked at the alternator and it had a new bracket. The owner said, "yeah, that broke about a year ago."

If you want to do it yourself, viking rents the classic for a week at $150.

What Walt uses

Check out Walt's website. There is a lot of good info there on prop balancing in general and it shows the equipment he uses along with some sample data.

http://www.expaircraft.com/PropBalance.htm

He'd probably post this himself later but he's probably working on RV right now.

Last edited:
A DynaVibe works pretty good. Doesn?t give you as many details as a more expen$ive setup, but if you have access to one, I would try it. I?ve done a few prop balances with our EAA chapter?s DynaVibe, and I?m pleased with the results. There has been noticeable improvements in vibration. I don?t know what was causing the vibration, prior to balancing (or what do do about it), but it was gone after the balancing procedure. A professional prop balance in my area is $400. Probably worth it. But using our DynaVibe is free, and if we eliminate vibration, I would say it?s more worth it. YMMV.

Not sure how far you're willing to fly to get it done, but Jay Burton at D95 Dupont-Lapeer in Michigan does balancing with a brand new setup. I am unsure of the brand, but he's able to get things pretty dang smooth.

He can be reached at 810-664-6966

Back