What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose sales at OSH?

dreed

Well Known Member
Need another set of Bose's X's and wondering if Bose ever runs any specials during Oshkosh.

Need another set of Bose's X's and wondering if Bose ever runs any specials during Oshkosh.

They do, but it's usually nothing to get excited about. Usually, they'll toss in some home audio device, free financing for a year, or both.

You?ll probably find a better deal at the Spruce, Sporty?s, or other retailer location.

I bought my Bose headsets through Aircraft Spruce and at the time they had a home speaker system for your iPhone given free as a bonus for buying two. I use it all of the time. I think retail on it was $250, so that is about all they are willing to sweeten the deal on buying Bose. I do like the headsets, but I just had to buy new foam ear pads, since the original ones wore out after 600 hours of flying.

I bought my Bose headsets through Aircraft Spruce and at the time they had a home speaker system for your iPhone given free as a bonus for buying two. I use it all of the time. I think retail on it was $250, so that is about all they are willing to sweeten the deal on buying Bose. I do like the headsets, but I just had to buy new foam ear pads, since the original ones wore out after 600 hours of flying.

Buy? They replaced mine for free at OSH. I usually drop mine off on Monday for a quick check. They've fixed a variety of things over the years and I've never been charged.

sales

I purchased another set of Bose A20's last year from mypilotstore.com.

They have a headset trade up program; I was able to trade in my Bose X headsets.

They gave me a $450 credit for the trade in.

Bose also offered an active CFI rebate of $125.

So the new A20's were $1095 - $450 - $125 = $520

Don't know if they are still running the promotion but the will take trades on some headsets...

A little off topic, but opinions on Bose A20 vs Zulu 3 vs Halo QT

There are people who love all of them. You kinda have to figure out which is right for you. For me, that was Lightspeed, and I have been very happy with them. The extra clamping force of the Zulu 3 didn't really bother me much, but the Bose sort of "pinched" my head in a funny way that did. You might also consider the DC One-X. I actually thought it was slightly more comfortable than both the A20 and Zulu 3. But the sound quality of the One-X, although great, wasn't quite to the level of the A20 or Zulu3. I also liked Lightspeed's 7 year warranty, and I've heard nothing but praise for their customer service. Bose's service reviews were sort of a mixed bag. Some people had great stories about out-of-warranty products being serviced for free, and some stories about weeks and months long turnarounds to try to fix a problem, only to ultimately never get a satisfactory resolution.

As for the Halos, you're starting to get into apples vs oranges. The in-ear headsets are very different when it comes to comfort and sound quality. Really though, it still boils down to a personal choice.

Some of the retailers offer 30 day returns, so try them all out and only keep your favorite.

Last edited:

You'll get a lot of very passionate opinions with this question. It is a very personal conclusion and everybody is different.

It is a little like asking what kind of cheese you like on your sandwich. Swiss, Muenster...? Then you'll soon find some people that hate cheese all together.

I know what I prefer, but there are also so many good reasons that it might not be for everybody.

You'll get a lot of very passionate opinions with this question. It is a very personal conclusion and everybody is different.

It is a little like asking what kind of cheese you like on your sandwich. Swiss, Muenster...? Then you'll soon find some people that hate cheese all together.

I know what I prefer, but there are also so many good reasons that it might not be for everybody.

He says without a single word about his own company's headset! Check the hyperlink in his signature line.

(Honestly, where else are you going to find a vendor who will give you terrific advice which may also include advice to buy a competitor's product, based on what's best for you?)

You wont find a new set of the Bose X, they are out of production and not supported.

I have both a X and a A20. A20 is much, mush quieter.
just my opinion.

Sorry! Should have said A20's - that is what I have now (few months old)

Thanks - go the two mixed up

Might check around and see if any pilot shops in your area have display models you can at least try on. It won?t give you that multi-hour feel but it?ll at least give you an impression of them and how well they do or do not fit your head.

There?s actually a shop near here that?ll let you borrow a set for 24 hours and at least get some flight time with it on.

For me, the Lightspeed just didn?t fit me well, and Bose was great in the support department when one of my ears started intermittently working. I?m on my second A20 now with probably 3500 hours on them.

I've always been a DC guy and have been very happy with their customer service. I still have the H10-60 (updated several times over the years) I bought in 1990 and flew with an H10-13XL for several years. Although the ANC in that headset was adequate, it couldn't keep up with the noise level of the T-6 and I had to go with a Bose X while instructing in that plane.

Now that my -14A project is entering (hopefully) the home stretch, I'm thinking of picking up a new ANC headset and am leaning toward the DC One-X. That said, I'd love to test it directly against the A20.

Tried them

I tried the DC one-x. I didn’t like it at all. It is an on ear design instead of over ear. Definitely personal preference, I much prefer my Bose A20s.

I tried the DC one-x. I didn?t like it at all. It is an on ear design instead of over ear. Definitely personal preference, I much prefer my Bose A20s.

The One-X is definitely an over-the-ear design (the only kind I'll consider). The Pro-X is the on-ear version.

Back